E200v1 01.02.24 Firmware Download & Instructions

Sansa E200v1 Firmware Version 1.02.24

SanDisk has recently released the 01.02.24 firmware revision for the Sansa e200v1. Download links and the release notes are available below.

First, verify that your e200 is a v1.

This can be found by going over to Settings > Info, and verify that “Version” starts with V01. Once this has been verified, go ahead and proceed with the firmware update steps below. If you do not have a v1, do not upgrade your firmware to this a different version! This could render your player useless!

Download the firmwares by clicking on the links below. Be sure to select the region you are in for full compatibility.

For AMERICA - Click here to download

For SOUTH AMERICA - Click here to download

For EUROPE w/o FM - Click here to download

For EUROPE w/ FM - Click here to download

For PACIFIC Region - Click here to download

For JAPANESE Region - Click here to download

The instructions below applies to Windows, Mac, and Linux Operating Systems.

Once downloaded, extract the .zip file into a folder (take note to remember where you saved it).
Next, change the device’s mode from MTP to MSC by going to “Settings” then “USB Mode”, then selecting MSC.
Next, connect the device to the computer and it should show up with a drive letter. In the root directory of the Sansa e200v1, add the firmware files you just extracted from the zip.
Once its been added, disconnect the device, it will then say that it is upgrading the firmware. It will eventually turn off. Once it turns off, turn it back on, and it should ask you for a language to select. Once the language is chosen, head to Settings > Info and verify that the “Version” is the same as the latest verstion, mentioned above.

Release notes for Sansa e200; Version 1.02.24

This new firmware has various bug fixes, including key fixes listed below. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will restart automatically.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 12 seconds to reset the device and then release and press again to restart.

Bugs Fixed:

Accessories Support

·         Control commands from 30-pin docks are ignored when backlight is turned off.

Video Playback

·         Backlight will be turned off if buttons are pressed while playing video or slideshow with Hold switch On.

Music Playback

·         Custom EQ loses settings after song changes to next track.

Languages Support

·         Some characters are missing for Polish, Slovenian, Czech, Russian, and Greek.

Enhancements:

·         Timex dock support

Nice job on the release notes.

MrSmileyFace,

Thanks for the release notes.  I checked the Sandisk website earlier this week,  and it still indicated that 18A is the latest release!

Mr SmileyFace,

Many thanks to the Sandisk team for the firmware, and especially for the release notes – our cries have been heard (some of them, anyway). 

Can you tell us, please, whether this is an official release, or beta?  My experience with 01.02.23 tells me to ask before jumping on board.  Thanks! 

edit:  And another question – is there an archive anywhere of previous firmware versions?  If there isn’t one at Sandisk, could you create one, please? 

Message Edited by ComfortablyNumb on 04-17-2008 10:49 PM

I agree, an archive of the earlier firmwares would be quite useful, with the specified disclaimer that the firmwares are indeed archives.  We would want new users to run with the recommended release, as it would hopefully limit confusion.

The earlier firmware versions are quite useful in cases where a user is happy with a previous functionality, or in debugging problems that may arise with a new version, depending upon the user’s particular configuration.

Bob  (I vote for an archive!)  :smileyvery-happy:

I cast my (meaningless?) vote for an archive, too.  Sometimes in the process of fixing one bug another one is introduced.  As a programmer I know this to be the case.  It would be good to be able to revert to a prior version to see if the bug also existed in that version or if something was done in a later revision that caused the bug.

when will you publish a new v1 for hebrew language?  

My player has always been set to MSC.

Why did it switch to MTP after the upgrade?

@myosis wrote:

My player has always been set to MSC.

Why did it switch to MTP after the upgrade?

The default may have changed to MTP, reflecting the upgrades made in MTP (Windows Media Player) functionality with WiMP 11.  This can be changed as you prefer, by navigating to Settings > USB Mode, and selecting your personal preference.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Several other settings also changed back to default after the firmware upgrade:  Custom EQ,  Backlight,  Date & Time (changed to 24 hour time),  Volume.  All easily changed back to your preferred settings.

Edited:

neutron_bob, I just noticed your abbreviation for Windows Media Player!   LOL!!

Message Edited by Marty on 04-26-2008 10:01 AM

What is about SDHC-Support in v1-Devices?

Yes, I would also like to know if/when SDHC

support will become available for e200 v1 series.

In the meantime … I will look into Rockbox.

I just upgraded my e280 to firmware 01.02.24 and found a problem-- maybe a bug? 

While I can still drag and drop new MP3s (from ripped CDs of mine) to the Sansa, the cover art files (jpgs) are no longer allowed to transfer-- I get an error saying that it’s not allowed.  Up until now, I could copy these with the rest of the album folder with no problem, and they would display when playing on the Sansa.  All the older albums are still there and, while the previously loaded artwork still displays, the image files are not to be seen in the file listing in Window Explorer when exploring the Sansa. (But they HAVE to be there-- they still display on the player!)  These image files are originally downloaded by Windows Media Player when you play the CD on your computer.  New albums I’ve downloaded (ripped from CDs) play on the Sansa, but there is no album art associated with it. 

Is this a bug or a known issue?  I didn’t see in release notes or recent forum discussion.

MSC mode allows drag and drop of all file types, including cover art.  MTP mode does not allow drag and drop of jpgs.  Possibly your e280 USB setting was MSC before you upgraded the firmware and it defaulted to MTP after you installed the new firmware.  Change it back to MSC and see if it fixes you up.

Voila!  Your suggestion to switch from MTP to MSC USB mode fixed the problem.  I should have realized this, but I guess I had the device in MSC for oh-so-long that I forgot-- and when the firmware upgrade switched me back to the default MTP, I ran aground.

Thanks for the tip.

You’re very welcome; glad it worked. 

After I updated my firmware, the tip-off that something was amiss was the time … it defaulted to 24-hour time!  I did some further checking and found that several default settings had changed.

This firmware works like ■■■■, it kills your MP3 player. Believe me, I’m just wanna talk to tech support, but, they don’t reply back for months.

First off, credit to THComputerGuy for figuring this out, and posting it here

If you have upgraded to 01.02.24 and it’s not working, 01.02.18 is available for download.  Use this link - http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/e200/e200v101.02.18a.zip - for the Americas version, or change the “18a” in the address bar to whatever region you’re looking for. 

Just follow these instructions for manual install (clipped from the original post in this thread).  Manual install is a snap – I recommend ditching the updater, because updates are going to be few and far between for the discontinued e200 v1. 

Once downloaded, extract the .zip file into a folder (take note to remember where you saved it).
Next, change the device’s mode from MTP to MSC by going to “Settings” then “USB Mode”, then selecting MSC.
Next, connect the device to the computer and it should show up with a drive letter. In the root directory of the Sansa e200v1, add the firmware files you just extracted from the zip.
Once its been added, disconnect the device, it will then say that it is upgrading the firmware. It will eventually turn off. Once it turns off, turn it back on, and it should ask you for a language to select. Once the language is chosen, head to Settings > Info and verify that the “Version” is the same as the latest verstion, mentioned above.

How do you change the device’s mode from MTP to MSC if you have a black screen?

Ok, I just took a hammer too it and destroyed it into many pieces. I will never buy a MP3 player from Sandisk again. Totally pissed ex-customer.