E200v1 01.02.24 Firmware Download & Instructions

I have 2 sansa Mp3 players, a 1mb Clip and a 2mb e250. I learned about the need for firmware upgrades when the Clip acted up. Now I have the latest firmware and sansa updater and it even plays playlists.

However, I couldn’t get even a properly edited playlist to run on the e250. Then I noticed the firmware was 1.1.07, far below the current standard in these threads, even though the sansa updater recognized this device as well and appeared operational. I also tried upgrading the firmware many times using the directions in these forums. I can get the e250 to open the 16 file (putting hold switch on and holding rec while inserting the USB into my PC), but extracting and pasting the firmware just won’t take hold. Vista won’t eject the drive when it’s in use per one instruction, and as I’ve said, changing to another drive and then ejecting doesn’t make any difference. Nor does safely closing the device per normal Vista USB procedures.

I’ve actually tried both the 1.02.24 firmware and the 3.01.16 firmware since the e250’s back cover says V2 and delete is a device submenu option. Nothing sticks, firmware update-wise.

Now the device is behaving badly when playing audiobooks (stalling at various stages before actually playing a track, or stopping mid-track), so it definitely needs a firmware upgrade for more than its playlist behavior.

The organization of these threads, with many software asides but few links, is making the process even more frustrating.