E200v1 01.02.24 Firmware Download & Instructions

Is this firmware update a Good Thing?  There were a couple of negative comments but not much other discussion about whether people found the changes, good or bad.

Most of the shall we say ‘more experienced’ users with v1 models here either reverted back to the previous .18 f/w version, or never updated to the .24 in the 1st place.

Does that tell you anything?

@gideon wrote:
After the upgrade to v1 24, my FM radio vanished from the menu. I need that radio. what can I do.

I think there is an F version with FM for European users.  The E version doesn’t have the FM tuner support as a means of Sandisk avoiding some sort of European tax or tariff or some such on imported radio tuners.

I am a happy user of e280 V1 with version 01.02.15A.

The only nick is that I have some song titles that are in Hebrew, which are looking ok on MS Media Player but spelled backwards on the player i.e. Sansa does not support the right-to-left direction.

I have resrearched this forum and found a lot of info (- Thanks !!!) :

-I understand there will be no fix to that on any official Sansa firmware (since there will not be any), I can choose to move to RockBox firmware. I second all the proposed features in the wishlist thread.

• I do not agree with the comment made of treating the player as as-is. I certainly decided on Sansa versus iPOD for new features support. Whenever you make a decision to buy a gadget you know you are already been left “behind” on the newest trends. I did not expect Apple to try to update older players but I certainly expected Sansa to.

• I understand the popular version is 01.02.18A (I saw a lot of issues posted with version 24A).

• Nice trick with half plugging the USB to get power but not “connected” so the player plays while recharging. Thanks it bothered me to.

• Stupid language support: why would one want to move firmware for other languages ? didn’t anyone in Sansa heard about globalization ? lots of people listen to musics in other not-supported languages (Asians and Hebrew) while in the US (do not wish to change the menus language or fm support).

I have several remaining questions:

1. What is the diff from 15A to 18A? - I’m trying to determine is it worth the upgrade hassle.

2. RockBox has nice options for V1s. Can you list them all? - Will that have the additional languages support i was looking for ?

3. I saw some guru comments that there are “issues” with it.  Can you be more specific on what these are ?  i.e. I’m trying to understand the “price” for the move. I saw the comment about forgoing warranty when switch to RockBox - but what warranty you have on V1 anyhow ?

4. How easy is it to move from RockBox back to Sansa firmware ? I saw a comment that both can reside on the player and can be toggled between. Can you detail how to set that up ?

5. Whom are behind the RockBox version ?  Is there any posted plans for the next versions ? Hoe serious this open firmware project is ?

Thanks,

Regular User

Anyone know when they are going to release another ver. ?

Or are they abandoning it?

Abandoned.  Orphaned, even.

Message Edited by 1shado1 on 06-03-2009 10:07 PM

The e200 series is discontinued, but that’s from a production standpoint.  The Sansa Fuze has taken its place in the current model lineup.  There’s nothing wrong with the e200 as it is, in fact, it’s a solid machine.

For the version 1 devices, firmware versions “18” and “24” are the stable releases of choice.  Some have had issues with the “24” release, opting instead to stay with 18.  Both firmware versions are available here.

Next door, in the Sansa Rhapsody forum, the latest firmware for the R series is available.

For the version 2 devices (“03” as the first two digits of the firmware) with the AMS processor, the 03.01.16 version binary is the choice.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I got a message on the screen when I turned it back on: “Load main image failed.  Switch to recovery mode”

How do you switch to recovery mode?

thx 

Recovery Mode is a special mode allowing direct access to the reserved partition of the Sansa’s memory, for repair of the firmware.  The “main image” referred to in the error message is the firmware.

Be very careful that you DO NOT ATTEMPT USING THE WINDOWS FORMAT COMAND ON THIS PARTITION.

Download the two firmware files in the beginning of this thread, unzip them, and place the pp5022.mi4 and BL_SD files on the desktop.

On the Sansa, start with the device OFF.  Slide the HOLD switch atop the device to the right (orange showing).  Press and hold the REC button on the side, keeping it depressed while plugging in the Sansa to the USB port.

Open a Windows Explorer window by going to My Computer or use the shortcut [Windows Key] + E.  You’ll se a new icon labeled 16MB FORMAT.  Again, DO NOT attempt formatting this with Windows, as it will remove critical data.  Double click on the icon to open the partition.

Drag and drop the two unzipped firmware files into the partition.  Now, right click, and select eject.

Slide the switch back to the left (Hold OFF), and unplug the cable.  Your Sansa will announce “firmware upgrade in progress”, and you will have a happy restored machine!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I was able to restore a working firmware using 1.02.165 using the recovery information posted elsewhere here.

Message Edited by modeltom on 07-20-2009 12:51 PM

Hi everybody,

from one day to another my Sansa doesn’t play the music anymore (videos play). I get a start screen saying that there is not enough space for the Music-DB and that I should clear 6 MB (according to my PC I have approx. 160 MB free space). Sansa also claims that the music folder is empty. But when I connect it to the computer I can see that the songs are still there. But some folders (music, pictures, playlist, system) are marked as “hidden” whereas the video folder isn’t hidden. So I marked all those folders as not hidden and then disconnected and re-started the player but it’s still the same. After connecting it to the PC again the previous folders are back again to “hidden”.

I already downloaded the firmware but it didn’t change anything. I’d be really glad if anybody had an idea. Thanks a lot!

@stripes wrote:

Hi everybody,

from one day to another my Sansa doesn’t play the music anymore (videos play). I get a start screen saying that there is not enough space for the Music-DB and that I should clear 6 MB (according to my PC I have approx. 160 MB free space). Sansa also claims that the music folder is empty. But when I connect it to the computer I can see that the songs are still there. But some folders (music, pictures, playlist, system) are marked as “hidden” whereas the video folder isn’t hidden. So I marked all those folders as not hidden and then disconnected and re-started the player but it’s still the same. After connecting it to the PC again the previous folders are back again to “hidden”.

I already downloaded the firmware but it didn’t change anything. I’d be really glad if anybody had an idea. Thanks a lot!

And this post belongs in the Firmware thread why exactly?

Did you check the FAQs? In particular the one that is titled

My player says “Please Free 6mb”, how can I fix it?

thanks for the link!

I’ve read as many threads on the e250 as I could find. I still haven’t found my answer.

I have the e250v1. I just updated to .24 And it does not detect my 8gig microSD card. Is there anything I can do for it to work?

@jamesmtl514 wrote:

I’ve read as many threads on the e250 as I could find. I still haven’t found my answer.

I have the e250v1. I just updated to .24 And it does not detect my 8gig microSD card. Is there anything I can do for it to work?

8G would be SDHC, not SD.   SanDisk firmware does not support SDHC in this player but Rockbox firmware does.  See RockboxFAQ SansaFAQ

I would be surprised if SanDisk releases a new firmware for this device (but what do I know?).

after the upgrade it restarted but now it hangs with greenbox in that progress bar show on top as “refresh database”…nothing happens from there…pls help me…

Try the upgrade again. Sounds like it didn’t complete. Or look in the FAQ for the Refresh Database fixes.

I have 2 sansa Mp3 players, a 1mb Clip and a 2mb e250. I learned about the need for firmware upgrades when the Clip acted up. Now I have the latest firmware and sansa updater and it even plays playlists.

However, I couldn’t get even a properly edited playlist to run on the e250. Then I noticed the firmware was 1.1.07, far below the current standard in these threads, even though the sansa updater recognized this device as well and appeared operational. I also tried upgrading the firmware many times using the directions in these forums. I can get the e250 to open the 16 file (putting hold switch on and holding rec while inserting the USB into my PC), but extracting and pasting the firmware just won’t take hold. Vista won’t eject the drive when it’s in use per one instruction, and as I’ve said, changing to another drive and then ejecting doesn’t make any difference. Nor does safely closing the device per normal Vista USB procedures.

I’ve actually tried both the 1.02.24 firmware and the 3.01.16 firmware since the e250’s back cover says V2 and delete is a device submenu option. Nothing sticks, firmware update-wise.

Now the device is behaving badly when playing audiobooks (stalling at various stages before actually playing a track, or stopping mid-track), so it definitely needs a firmware upgrade for more than its playlist behavior.

The organization of these threads, with many software asides but few links, is making the process even more frustrating.

Hello everybody

I read a lot but I did not find a post with a similar problem. 

I have an E260 and the minor problem is that some music files are not detected by the player.

So I read that it is possible/necessary to update the E260. I have downloaded the updater.

But it doesn’t work.He is searching for updates for hours and meanwhile the internet-connection is nearly totally blocked. 

So I read that I can update the player manually.

I have downloaded the file pp5022.mi4. (has to be the correct)

But it is zipped.

I tried to unzip the file with winrar and winzip but both programs don’t “want” to unzip the file because the .mi4 is unknown. 

Question: how can I unzip the file???

Thanks in advance

A mi4 file is already unzipped. Did you get it from the SanDisk site? 

A firmware update may not help you find files. Read hereabout missing songs and ID3 tags.