C200 version2 Latest Firmware Installation Instructions; 03.02.05

Version 2 Players Only

First, be sure to verify that your player is a c200v2. This can be found by going over to Settings > Info, and verify that “Version” starts with V03. There should also be a small v2 printed on the back of your device.

Once this has been verified, go ahead and proceed with the firmware update steps below.

If you do not have a v2, do NOT upgrade your firmware to this version! This could render your player useless!

Download the firmware by clicking on the links below. Be sure to select the region you are in for full compatibility.

AMERICAS & PACIFIC REGION - 3.02.05a for Americas

EUROPE (No FM) - 3.02.05e for Europe without FM

EUROPE (FM) - 3.02.05f for Europe with FM

The install the firmware, we will first need to put the device in MSC mode. If needed, we can force MSC mode. To force the c200v2 in to MSC mode

1. Make sure the player is off (if necessary, hold down the power button for 20 seconds to turn it off)
  2. Move the hold switch to ON (move to the right towards the record button).
  3. Hold the rewind button (Left Key)
  4. Connect the player to the computer.
  5. Keep holding the rewind button till the “Sansa C200 (E)*” comes up, then realease the record button.  If the removable disk does not automatically launch, open “My Computer” and check for any additional drives.
  6.  Now you should have a Sansa C200 with a drive letter assigned to it.  Simply download the 2 attached files, then put them onto the removable disk (via drag-and-drop, or copy-and-paste).
  7.  Once that’s done, turn off the hold switch, then unplug the player.  Check if the firmware is udpated.

*Actual drive letter may vary

Is there a list I can look at to see what this firmware fixes or improves?

Also, in this sentence, "If you do not have a v1, do not upgrade your firmware to this a different version! This could render your player useless!," should “v1” be “v2”? I have a v2.

It should have said v2, I updated it. Thanks.

Is there a list I can look at to see what this firmware fixes or improves?

copied 3 files sucessfully firmware updated, however my gator screen shows up and that is it nothing else screen will come on and stay on until it runs the battery dead. This mp3 a C240 froze while in the connecting mode songs were transferred when cord was up plugged it stuck on the disconnecting screen then froze on the turn on screen and does nothing further.

Is there any hope for this mp3 player

mharris, sorry if you’ve already solved your problem and this is redundant, but… the problem is that you are trying to install a v2-targetted firmware on your v1 device.  All c240s are v1 hardware and require v1-firmware.  There’s another thread with the correct files.  You should be able to repeat the procedure (the recovery mode should “rescue” your player). 

I have tried your instructions but I can’t get to step 5.

My son loaded the device with music, used it, and put it away.  The next time he tried to use it, he turns it on, get the SanSisk screen and nothing more.

Neither computer we’ve tried the device on recognizes the player.  We get the “USB device has malfunctioned.” and the “USB device not recognized.” messages.

We’ve tried to force recognition via the steps outlined get nowhere.

What can we do?  My son has only had the device for 2 weeks.

I have tried your instructions but I can’t get to step 5.

My son loaded the device with music, used it, and put it away.  The next time he tried to use it, he turns it on, get the SanSisk screen and nothing more.

Neither computer we’ve tried the device on recognizes the player.  We get the “USB device has malfunctioned.” and the “USB device not recognized.” messages.

We’ve tried to force recognition via the steps outlined get nowhere.

What can we do?  My son has only had the device for 2 weeks.

The player is a c200v2.
Message Edited by noob on 04-23-2008 05:14 AM

Alright, let’s suspect the USB drivers.  Web search for “USBDeview” to get a free, non-■■■■ utility from Nirsoft which will show all USB devices in your system, even if they’re not attached.  Find the Sansa driver(s) and uninstall them (make sure your player is not connected, or it may re-detect before you’re ready for it).  Then, attach the player and see what happens.  It should detect is as “new hardware” and automaticaly install drivers.

At the very least, you can enter recovery mode, right?  It should say something in small white text on black background near the top-left, something about “USB2.0” probably.  That’s a good sign.

“At the very least, you can enter recovery mode, right?  It should say something in small white text on black background near the top-left, something about “USB2.0” probably.  That’s a good sign.”

If you are referring to be able to access recovery mode on the player, then the answer is no.  The only thing I see is the SanDisk logo(red lettering/white screen).  I can’t access the menu let alone recovery mode.

I also tried your suggestion.  The Sansa device was in the USB device list.  After I deleted it and plugged the payer back in, I got the following message: " One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.  For assistance in solving this problem, click this message." 

Message Edited by noob on 04-23-2008 04:07 PM

Unfortunately, I don’t currently have any v2 players, so I can’t play around and see what other options you might have.  If you’ve already tried setting hold, holding left, and plugging in the player, and Windows doesn’t set it up as a removable drive, then it may be time to return the player to the store you got it from for a replacement or whatever (or call SanDisk about warranty, I guess).

One last thing: how did you confirm that it’s a v2 player – by checking the existing firmware version , or some other means?  If you are going by the badging on the case (which isn’t conclusive), it’s possible that it’s really a v1, and then the v1 recovey mode instructions (which differ) might get you somewhere.

“One last thing: how did you confirm that it’s a v2 player – by checking the existing firmware version , or some other means?  If you are going by the badging on the case (which isn’t conclusive), it’s possible that it’s really a v1, and then the v1 recovey mode instructions (which differ) might get you somewhere.”

If I can’t the screen to display anything other than the SanDisk logo whether or not the device is plugged into the computer, how I can I verify whteher or not it’s a V2 or a V1 device?  If I can’t trust what the badging on the case says, then why is it there?

bernz, I not upset with you personally, it’s just that I think it’s a truly stupid question especially after I’ve written about not being able to get the device to do anything but display the compnay logo.

Item # 5 states to hold down the rewind button, then after you see the drive release the record button.  Which one is it?  I bought 2 Sansa C240 at the same time. One is version 01.01.00P.  I went to settings and changed the USP setting from auto format to MSC and am now downloading music perfect.  The other one in version V03.02.05A with no USB option.  What genius came up with this idea?  I have tried to force my player in to MSC mode using the instructions to no avail. HELP

I am having exactly the same promblem…please reply to my message if you find out any way to fix it : )

thanx 

I just got the sansa C250 and I just got it connected and everything is updated or so it says…but I can only download a song or two at a time and then everything else comes up error and it won’t download ANYTHING ELSE to it unless i reboot my computer…and the tech support guy that i talked to on the phone said to try to update the firmware but I can’t understand the directions and I can’t get to step 5…and which is it I hold down the rewind button then step 5 says to release the record button well thats great cause I wasn’t even hitting the record button…I’m pretty irrated with this MP3 player and downloading songs so it and surprise surprise the stores don’t carry the C250 anymore…so now i’m just trying to find someone to help me get through getting songs downloaded to it and finding out whats wrong…  I’d like to download the firmware but I can’t when I can’t get to step 5 if someone figured it out will they please let me know… message me or something because I’m not a computer geek and I don’t check the message boards every day I just want it fixed so I don’t have to think about adding songs I can just jump on and add them…

\

Thanks so much

I am a little confused. I downloaded the zip file but it only has one .bin file in it buy you clearly state, “Simply download the 2 attached files, then put them onto the removable disk (via drag-and-drop, or copy-and-paste).” What am I doing wrong?

I agree with Wilbour. I only got one .bin file.  I used format and reset on the player not from the computer. The player displays the correct firmware number. What files and folders should be displayed? if the firmware is installed correctly? If I format from my conputer, do I need to select a file system?

There is only one file in the zip file where is the other one. My C250 player is freezing on every song, It says V2 on the back but it has version 01.01.01P 

Is there anyone who can help

Bought a C250 with v2 on the back. This device has been in the constant freezing mode, very frustrating. Since I was not able to follow the steps to update v2 firmware. I updated on v1. It went fine. It can play some mp3 songs now. However, freeze is still a pretty annoying problem though less frequent. I never imagine an eletronic device can be that shaky. Should have read the forum before I buy. Sigh, the price of buying cheap! 

Message Edited by mshaw on 12-04-2008 07:45 PM