Sansa updater downloads new firmware but fails to update

Hi,

I have a Sansa e280 8Gb. My updater is ver 1.407. when I plug my device, it is recognized. updater prompts a new firmware is available, it downloads the firmware but after downloading the fillowing prompt is seen on PC minitor:

the following failure accured

failed to download the selected files

Please try again later

and this goes on over and over. I have tried both USB modes (MSC and MTP) from player setting menu the files and it did not change things. the files on my device root are Font, version.dsk, WMPinfor and Version (with following info:

D
ODM Ver.: S301-02.24-S301.02.24A-D
OEM Ver.: S301.02.24A-D
Build Type: -D
Build Date: 2007.12.24
Build Number: (Build 32.10)

the folders I have are photo, record, tmp and Video ( I accidentaly deleted my music filder but believe it is irrelevant)

I would appreciate any help with this updater.

You already have the latest firmware for your player. That’s why the Updater isn’t installing it.

Hi,

I updated the firmware using manual method. the probelm I have now is that I can not use windows explorer to see my device, although I see connected icon on player screen and on “My Computer\Sansa e280\PPI NAND”, no subfolder are seen, under both USB modes of MSC and MTP. right clicking on the drive icon and choosing properties shows zero capacity, although PPI nand drive icon says it is a 7.44GB drive. I have held reset for 15sec to reset, I have also reset to factory default. There is no format option on setting options as stated on the manual. I have no music or media on the player. the player only plays from micro SD device. Could you help?

Thanks

It’s possible you tried to manually install the wrong firmware for your player. You have a v1 model. The fact that you are expectiing a FORMAT option in settings tells me you are looking at the manual for the v2 model. Only v2’s have that.

It’s ususally impossible to install the wrong firmware on a device; they normally just do not accept the wrong firmware, but with an old model like this, I can’t remember if that one did or not. I would suggest formatting the player and see if that helps. See this post for instructions on formatting in Recovery Mode.

Hi,

How do I format in recovery mode?

Thanks

@tapeworm wrote:

It’s ususally impossible to install the wrong firmware on a device; they normally just do not accept the wrong firmware, but with an old model like this, I can’t remember if that one did or not. I would suggest formatting the player and see if that helps. See this post for instructions on formatting in Recovery Mode.

Its definitely impossible.  The firmware files don’t even have the same format, so you can try to “install” the wrong one all you want and nothing will happen.

@tiz wrote:

Hi,

How do I format in recovery mode?

Thanks

Very detailed directions located here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/User-guides-Firmware-Software/sansa-e280/m-p/289280/highlight/true#M4656