Sansa Updater fails to install

When I attempt to install the updater, it will get through everything, and then say, “The Installation failed. Please try again later.” I’ve been at this for two days. What’s going on?

Life is too short for frustrations like this. Why don’t you just manually update your firmware? Complete and simple instructions are always given in the Firmware Update posts here on the forum containing the links to the firmware .zip files for the individual players.

It only takes a couple minutes; less time actually than installing the Updater. Plus the updates are always posted here on the forum the second they’re released; and before the Updater even knows they are available. Just check back here every couple of months and you won’t be missing a thing.

Besides the Updater is a resource hog and tries to find an update every time you plug your player into your computer, whether adding or deleting content or simply chrging, making it basically nag-ware. :wink:

How am I supposed to manually install firmware updates? And can you link me to these posts?

Nevermind, I found the way. Thanks for the help!

Message Edited by zeroslashj on 05-18-2009 09:29 AM

Glad you were able to find it. You didn’t mention what player you had, so I couldn’t provide a link.

However, for the benefit of anyone else reading this in the future, the Firmware Updates are always at the top of the 1st page of the board for your specific player (Fuze, Clip, e200 series, View, etc.).

They (Firmware Update posts) are also shaded a different color, indicating that they are ‘stickies’, or ‘stuck’ there so they will always be easy to find. :wink:

Yes but I need the media converter so how do I get that without using the Updater that I don’t really want?  Or, what are the specs for mp4 video conversion with AnyVideoConverter?

Thanks

Then can you please help me, because I am having the same problem. I normally wouldn’t care, but i want the media converter so I can put videos on my Fuze+ or if someone can tell me how to put videos on my fuze+ without the converter.

thanks!

@sandiscsux wrote:

Yes but I need the media converter so how do I get that without using the Updater that I don’t really want?  Or, what are the specs for mp4 video conversion with AnyVideoConverter?

Thanks

What player do you have?

@masonmomma2 wrote:

Then can you please help me, because I am having the same problem. I normally wouldn’t care, but i want the media converter so I can put videos on my Fuze+ or if someone can tell me how to put videos on my fuze+ without the converter.

thanks!

The Fuze+ doesn’t need or depend on the SMC. You can use any video converter software you prefer. Here are the specs and/or video requirements:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Fuze-Video-Requirements/m-p/187774/message-uid/187774/highlight/true#U187774

Just as athletes each have their specialties, like a cycling climber or sprinter, the Fuze+ shines in some areas where others struggle a bit.

Such is the case with video and image files and the Fuze+.  I prefer the tactile controls of the Fuze and e200 models, but the touch control quirkiness of the Fuze+ isn’t an impediment when enjoying video or browsing image files.  I can take video formatted for the earlier Sansas, even video clips shot with my Nikon, and simply plop the microSD card into the Fuze+ for review.

The above link has the specifications for you.  On the boards here, the video4fuze application, written for the earlier Fuze, works fine, as well as AnyVideoConverter found (free) on the Interwebs.  The Sansa Media Converter works well, but it suffers from the same technicalities that all video-specific applications do, and that’s the licensing issue.

The Sansa Media Converter can only be acquired via a circuitous route: you have to install the Sansa Updater first, then with the Fuze+ connected and recognized, run the Updater.  After a few moments, the Sansa Media Converter will show up as an available update.  It’s a weird route, but by having the device connected, the server recognizes that you do indeed have a Sansa device, and you can then access the Media Converter download.  This had to be done to satisfy the media licensing requirements of the vendors.  SanDisk is stuck in the middle of that equation.

The Sansa Media Converter was written for the Windows platform (32 bit), so you may have to run it in compatibility mode if you are running Windows 7.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Greetings! I just joined and I am anxious to learn more about my Sansa Clip Plus. Trying to get an upgrade to work.

I have had my Sansa View for about 2 months now. I have never been able to install the Sansa firmware update. It seems to go through all the steps, then suddenly steps back on the “download the latest Sansa Updater” and says that failed (once just a second before this step was completed successfully). It seems to with success download it, install it, then save, then he can make another step or it may fail on the registration… I can’t. All the steps after downloading disappear and now it says that the step does not and gives me the error message "Installation failed. Please try again later. "I think 2 months is much later… I am running Windows XP SP3 32-bit. The windows firewall is disabled and I use COMODO Internet Security and I use Avira Antivirus. I tried to disable the firewall and the antivirus just to see if they are the cause of the problem, but it has no effect on the results of the installation. In addition, COMODO logs do not show any activity blocked the Installer (or whatever it is blocked at all today). My account is an administrator account. Now, I think it should be noted that I don’t need an update of the firmware. My player integrates the latest version from the website. What I really want is to convert my videos so that I can use them on the player. Unfortanetly there is no way to install the Sansa Media Converter without installing the Firmware Updater (ahh… how many times I tried wasn’t the case… but alas…). Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.