Follow this procedure when the Sansa Connect Recovery Tool won't work!

Hey folks;

This thread is just for the purpose of consolidating the info from a much longer, earlier thread.

Currently the Sansa Connect Recovery Tool may or may not work for you.  You may see an error like “can’t connect to the Internet” or “can’t recover device, contact SanDisk technical support for assistance.”  If so, it’s probably because the recovery tool is unable to download the firmware images it needs from zing.net.  SanDisk hasn’t (yet) acknowledged this problem.  The strange thing is that *sometimes* the recovery tool works, if you already have the firmware images on disk … but usually it doesn’t.

So here’s what you do (with thanks to Larlos for providing the firmware images and the command lines for installing them).  This is assuming that you’re “stuck” at the “Recovery Needed” display on your Connect.  If not, and you’re at the regular Sansa Connect menu, first follow steps 2 and 3 in this document: http://mp3support.sandisk.com/tools/connect-recovery-instructions.pdf, then proceed with the following:

(1) Download the zip file containing the firmware images from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UNLDGZ1N

(2) Locate the following files within the zip file, and copy them to your disk directory “C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Connect Device Recovery\cmdline”:

• everest_initrd_ext_prod_1.1.1.50239.srr.e
  • everest_vmlinux_ext_prod_1.1.1.50239.srr.e
  • yeverest_zap_ota_rel_1.1.2.65799.tar.gz.e
  • yeverest_zap_ota_rel_ext_prod_1.1.2.65799.sig

(3) In the same directory, create a file called recovery.bat containing the following three lines:

zsi_fw.exe -w everest_vmlinux_ext_prod_1.1.1.50239.srr.e everest_initrd_ext_prod_1.1.1.50239.srr.e

zaprecover.exe -t 600000 -f yeverest_zap_ota_rel_1.1.2.65799.tar.gz.e yeverest_zap_ota_rel_ext_prod_1.1.2.65799.sig

pause

(4) Connect your Sansa Connect to USB.

(5) Execute the recovery.bat file (double-click on it in Windows Explorer, or run it from a DOS prompt).  The “pause” line is there only so you can see the results of the execution if you run it from Windows Explorer.  Wait for the recovery to finish; at the end your Connect will reboot.  If Windows displays its New Hardware wizard during this process, just cancel the wizard.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 09-26-2009 01:58 PM

P.S. … if you don’t have the recovery tool installed, it is located at:

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/tools/DeviceRecoverySetup.exe

Thanks for the help - it upgraded my white box connect to WiFi and after logging onto Yahoo (without choosing any service, only updating my old e-mail and user ID) I now have INet radio with a number of stations which work pretty well over my home wireless network. It does DND from explorer and syncs with WMP OK. A couple of oddities which I wonder about.        1) After updating the firmware, my ZAP showed as 1.2.0.58335r, and OS = 1.2.0.58835 — NOW ( next day) it has changed to ZAP=1.1.2.65799r and OS = 1.1.1.50239. Every thing appears to work the same however; did I get a firmware download while I was playing with the INet radio?     2) There is also new menu item “Zing Server” which lists the pack name, version and primary and secondary server. Is that normal?  3) What Yahoo service do I have - I see a small Y! symbol at the top right of the screen.                                                                                                                                               Many thanks and cheers Warren

@whturner wrote:

Thanks for the help - it upgraded my white box connect to WiFi and after logging onto Yahoo (without choosing any service, only updating my old e-mail and user ID) I now have INet radio with a number of stations which work pretty well over my home wireless network. It does DND from explorer and syncs with WMP OK. A couple of oddities which I wonder about.        1) After updating the firmware, my ZAP showed as 1.2.0.58335r, and OS = 1.2.0.58835 — NOW ( next day) it has changed to ZAP=1.1.2.65799r and OS = 1.1.1.50239. Every thing appears to work the same however; did I get a firmware download while I was playing with the INet radio?     2) There is also new menu item “Zing Server” which lists the pack name, version and primary and secondary server. Is that normal?  3) What Yahoo service do I have - I see a small Y! symbol at the top right of the screen.                                                                                                                                               Many thanks and cheers Warren

1. No; the version numbers you are seeing are associated with the firmware files ( file names beginning with “everest” and “yeverest” ) that you either downloaded when you ran the recovery tool, or downloaded in the zip file from megaupload.com.

1. Yes, that’s normal.  Zing is the company which used to handle the firmware and audio stream authentication for the Connect.

1. The Y! symbol is just indicating that when you use the Internet Radio function, you are streaming audio from Yahoo (actually, now owned by CBS Radio).  There is also a Flickr photo function, which is associated with Yahoo.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 08-23-2009 02:06 PM

Warren 

Yes - I recognize the version numbers as the ones I had to use because none of the atempts to download images with the recovery tool failed with the same error 304 others have seen. And they were the ones which were listed in the log file as successfully installed. But where did the other version numbers  (1.2.0.58335r, and OS = 1.2.0.58835) come from? Even I couldn’t have mistyped them that badly. There were listed when I checked right after my device recovered.  Tis a puzzle!  Cheers Warren

“none of the atempts to download images with the recovery tool failed with the same error 304 others have seen”

Wait - you WERE able to get the recovery tool to download the firmware images?  If so, can you post your recovery log?  It’s in “C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Connect Device Recovery\SansaDeviceRecoveryLog.txt”.

“where did the other version numbers  (1.2.0.58335r, and OS = 1.2.0.58835) come from”

I can’t explain why you saw the old version numbers after recovery.

Sorry - I meant to say all of the attempts to download images with the recovery tool failed so I had to remember my DOS to do the command line stuff. As a note, there is a download which claims to supersede the recovery tool and make recovery easier. All it did was wipe the the songs and the Humminbird video off the player.  Cheers Warren

Hello !

I tried to recover my Sansa Connect but when I select to run de Recovery Tool an Alert of Microsoft .NET

“I can’t explain why you saw the old version numbers after recovery.”    Hmmm - is it possible the system has to be rebooted for the new installation to be registered like many PC based programs require? I don’t know Linux rery well.

Hello !!

I tried to recover my Sansa Connect but when I select to run de Recovery Tool an Alert of Microsoft .NET Framework appears saying “Unhandled exception has ocurried in your application… Configuration system fail to initialize” If I select continue so that the application ignores this error and attempt to continue the program doesnt work. Now I have my Sansa Connect with the "Recovery Needed" display. I dont know if this is an erro from my PC, my Sansa Connect or other, so before trying to do the recovery with the files of this post I will like some advice.

This is the detail of the error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize —> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section system.serviceModel. (c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line 134)
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignoreLocal)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(ConfigurationSchemaErrors schemaErrors)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)
   — End of inner exception stack trace —
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem()
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.RefreshSection(String sectionName)
   at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped)
   at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
   at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
   at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName)
   at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
   at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)
   at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
   at ZING.Matterhorn.Branding.Properties.Settings.get_BrandLayoutsConfigSection()
   at ZING.Matterhorn.Branding.Plugins.PluggableControl.get_PluginConfigSection()
   at ZING.Matterhorn.Branding.Plugins.PluggableControl.get_PluginConfigs()
   at ZING.Matterhorn.Branding.Plugins.PluggableControl.LoadPlugins()
   at ZING.Matterhorn.Branding.Plugins.PluggableControl.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file :///C:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

ZING.Matterhorn.SansaDeviceRecovery
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.695
    CodeBase: file :///C:/Archivos de programa/Sandisk/Sansa Connect Device Recovery/Zing.Matterhorn.SansaDeviceRecovery.exe

log4net
    Assembly Version: 1.2.10.0
    Win32 Version: 1.2.10.0
    CodeBase: file :///C:/Archivos de programa/Sandisk/Sansa Connect Device Recovery/log4net.dll

System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file :///c:/windoes/assembly/GAC MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0  b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System
    CodeBase: file :///c:/windoes/assembly/GAC MSIL/System/2.0.0.0  b77a5c561934e089/system.dll

System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file :///c:/windoes/assembly/GAC MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0  b77a5c561934e089/system.Xml.dll

System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file :///c:/windoes/assembly/GAC MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0  b77a5c561934e089/system.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file :///c:/windoes/assembly/GAC MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0  b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

ZING.Matterhorn.Branding
    Win32 Version: 2.0.0.695
    CodeBase: file :///C:/Archivos de programa/Sandisk/Sansa Connect Device Recovery/Zing.Matterhorn.Branding.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging=“true” />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Thanks !!

Lucas.

The problem is that the Zing server will not allow the images to be downloaded so the recovery hangs,- check the log created by the recovery tool (SansaDeviceRecoveryLog.txt)  If you manually do the recovery as detailed above it works quite well.  You don’t even have to recycle the device on/off.  Have at it!

Instructions to “UNBRICK” a Sansa Connect

IMPORTANT!!! These instructions are for Windows Vista operating system (O.S.). Any other O.S. may need slightly different instructions.

1.) Install “Sansa Connect Device Recovery” Tool. You can find this program in this link:

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/tools/DeviceRecoverySetup.exe

2.) During istallation choose “Custom Installation” when prompted and make sure to install in directory:

C:\Program Files\

3.) Download the .zip file containing the firmware images from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UNLDGZ1N

4.) Unzip files

5.) Locate the following files:

everest_initrd_ext_prod_1.1.1.50239.srr.e
everest_vmlinux_ext_prod_1.1.1.50239.srr.e
yeverest_zap_ota_rel_1.1.2.65799.tar.gz.e
yeverest_zap_ota_rel_ext_prod_1.1.2.65799.sig

6.) Copy them to your directory:

C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Connect Device Recovery\cmdline

7.) Make sure all these files:

everest_initrd_ext_prod_1.1.1.50239.srr.e
everest_vmlinux_ext_prod_1.1.1.50239.srr.e
msvcp80.dll
msvcr80.dll
yeverest_zap_ota_rel_1.1.2.65799.tar.gz.e
yeverest_zap_ota_rel_ext_prod_1.1.2.65799.sig

and all these programs:

zaprecover.exe
zsi_fw.exe

are all in the directory:

C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Connect Device Recovery\cmdline

Now we can start the recovery process.

8.) Open cmd.exe (You can find this program by going to you “Start” tab in the bottom-left of you computer screen and type in: “cmd”.)

When you first open command prompt you are located in your profile folder, such as:

C:\Documents and Settings"YourUserName">_

The “_” is the cursor and it flashes.

9.) To change the directory from your profile, simply type in cd (change directory) and following that with the path to the directory you wish to browse to,

such as:

cd C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Connect Device Recovery\cmdline

When you do this, the command prompt changes to:

C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Connect Device Recovery\cmdline>

10.) Copy and Paste the following into the cmd.exe window and press “Enter”:

zsi_fw.exe -w everest_vmlinux_ext_prod_1.1.1.50239.srr.e everest_initrd_ext_prod_1.1.1.50239.srr.e

11.) Wait. The process could take a few minutes. You will know when the process is done as soon as the following command promt comes up:

C:\Program Files\SanDisk\Sansa Connect Device Recovery\cmdline>

12.) Copy and Paste the following into the cmd.exe window and press “Enter”:

zaprecover.exe -t 600000000 -f yeverest_zap_ota_rel_1.1.2.65799.tar.gz.e yeverest_zap_ota_rel_ext_prod_1.1.2.65799.sig

13.) WAIT! This process could take 1 - 5 minutes or more depending on your computer speed. While processing you’ll notice your Sansa Connect screen light on and display “Recovery Started” with a yellow clock underneath it. When the recovery is done it will be displayed in the cmd.exe window, also your Sansa Connect screen powers on exactly the way it originally did before it got “BRICKED”. What’s different now is the Wifi feature is available in the “Home” screen and fully functional.

14.) ENJOY! :slight_smile:

Here is a pic of what you cmd.exe window should look like when your completely finished with the recovery:

Here are some websites that helped me figure all this out:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SansaConnect#Uploading_firmware_to_device

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071203085035AAx9Y1I

Message Edited by yourgay50 on 08-23-2009 05:20 PM

Message Edited by yourgay50 on 08-24-2009 11:44 AM

Can somebody fix that smiley face. I don’t know how. The directory is supposed to be C:\Program Files\

EDIT: Never Mind. I fixed it.

Message Edited by yourgay50 on 08-23-2009 02:59 PM

Thanks. It works like a charm. You’re a lifesaver. My Connect is no longer a brick.

I solve the problem and the recovery works fine with the help of the topic. Thanks.

Make a backup of the machine .config.default and the current machine.config files,

then renaming the machine.config.default to machine.config the Sansa Connect Recovery Programs runs. But finally with the files and the recovery.bat of this topic I didn´t need the program to work.

@lucasl wrote:

I solve the problem and the recovery works fine with the help of the topic. Thanks.

Make a backup of the machine .config.default and the current machine.config files,

then renaming the machine.config.default to machine.config the Sansa Connect Recovery Programs runs. But finally with the files and the recovery.bat of this topic I didn´t need the program to work.

Where are these files you’re mentioning?  They’re not part of the recovery tool.  Are you referring to some issue with .NET installation?

Got a response to my tech support request regarding the Recovery Tool’s inability to download the Sansa Connect firmware:

“I have forwarded this case to the head quarters for further analysis. We are now working on the solution for this case. Expect to have a resolution with in this week.”

@promisedplanet wrote:

Got a response to my tech support request regarding the Recovery Tool’s inability to download the Sansa Connect firmware:

“I have forwarded this case to the head quarters for further analysis. We are now working on the solution for this case. Expect to have a resolution with in this week.”

Unfortunately their solution was to create a non-WiFi version of the Recovery Tool.  :neutral_face:  I haven’t tried it out but I’m guessing it downloads the non-WiFi firmware from a SanDisk server.

hello,

I tried to create the recovery.bat file but it is not working.  I just get the Recovering Please wait… screen.  Do I need to press continue after the pause, I have done it pressing a button to conitnue and not pressing a button to continue.   Any suggestions.  Thanks

When you run the recovery.bat file, what does it do?