Firmware problems

Your going to like this,

I have an e260 that started giving me a black screen that said " Load main image failed        Switch to Recovery mode"

I came here and found what should have been a solution to that problem that had me updating the firmware. I followed the steps and  downloaded the firmware updater then I put it in recovery mode and tried to update the firmware.  However the sansa updater is displaying my e260 as a e250 and is saying that there is no Update service availible.  So is there actually a problem or is it Pebkac (Problem exists between keyboard and chair).

I don’t know if the firmware updater works in recovery mode.  You probably need to do a manual update (download the firmware bin and extract it to the recovery partition).  Note, doing anything but copying a firmware file in recovery mode will brick your player!

Um… would you mind explaining what you just said a little?

@jcoskhl wrote:

However the sansa updater is displaying my e260 as a e250 and is saying that there is no Update service availible. 

There’s no difference in the firmware between the e250 & e260. The only difference in these 2 players is the memory size.

However, you need to manually install the firmware. Don’t install the Updater. Here’s a post explaining how. Don’t follow the link in that post to the firmware though; it’s broken. Instead, the latest e200 series v1 firmware can be found here.

In that post it says “under NO CIRCUMSTANCE ATTEMPT FORMATTING THIS PARTITION USING WINDOWS.”

Having a windows what should i do?

You should under no circumstances attempt to format the partition using your Windows.  

Ok I am definetly blond.  I am also not fluent in geeky computer speak (although I wish I was)  I downloaded the file e200v101.02.24a.  I then copied it to the 16MB-Format. Then I did a safely remove hardware and it said on the mp3 player something like " Safe to remove      Firmware Update complete"

then i unplugged and it did a restart.  When I turned it back on it still had the “Load main image failed Switch to recovery mode”

So my next questions are

a. Can I screw this up any more that I already have?

b. What did I do wrong?

c. What should I do now?

I read that some say that “under NO CIRCUMSTANCE ATTEMPT FORMATTING THIS PARTITION USING WINDOWS.”

Well I did that without knowing this. Now some body can tell me what I can expect and how I can fix the error I did

@dupuig wrote:

I read that some say that “under NO CIRCUMSTANCE ATTEMPT FORMATTING THIS PARTITION USING WINDOWS.”

Well I did that without knowing this. Now some body can tell me what I can expect and how I can fix the error I did

Boot into linux, load up Manufacturing Mode, then follow these instructions to get back into recovery mode:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaE200Unbrick#Manufacturing_Mode

Um… I don’t mean to be pushy, but can someone answer my questions?

You can try these steps here:

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaE200Unbrick#Formatting_the_device

If the format and bootloader steps don’t do anything, its probably just broken. 

how does on deal with the scratches on the display screen

I downloaded the new firmware,I connected the sansa express player to pc and it was read as drive letter,then it asked me to format it ,then I formatted,when I started the “sansaexpressupdater”,it didnot work.it displayed the window “donot disconned your player” but no progress,I see the player turned to flash drive,what can I do now??? help me please