SanDisk Guru

Re: Replacement for the Fuze?

I always keep in mind that the Apple iPod originally was priced at around $500; I purchased my original iRiver iHP-140 40GB hard drive audio player, a champ and a competitor to the iPod, for a little over $400. 

SanDisk Guru

"I always keep in mind that the Apple iPod originally was priced at around $500;"

I wasn't buying flash memory based mp3 players when they were so expensive though. I bought a $60 mp3CD player instead. The sound quality was great, however it was a bit bulky. It used AA batteries though, and had very high power output, and both FM and AM radio.

A 32GB micro SDHC card was well over $200 when it was first released. I haven't paid more than $15 each for my 32GB class 4 micro SDHC cards though.

SanDisk Guru

That original iPod was hard-drive based; it's only recently that flash memory has come down in price to the point that a flash-based jukebox player finally has been relatively possible (or that manfs. have been willing to go there or players can, via consumer use of mega-microSDXC cards in card expansion slots).  It's about 2-3 years later than I had reckoned it would be.

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

My definition of a jukebox mp3 player would be one with 4 micro SDXC  card slots, 100+ hours of battery life, a music database capable of managing over 100,000 songs, a display at least 3", and still fitting in a shirt pocket together with earphones. Hopefully such a player would cost under $200, although under $100 would be much better(so too would be the inclusion of HD radio, and being built with an aluminum or magnesium alloy case). Ideally it should weigh under 2.5 ounces, although up to 4 ounces would be okay.

SanDisk Guru

JK98 wrote:

My definition of a jukebox mp3 player would be one with 4 micro SDXC  card slots, 100+ hours of battery life, a music database capable of managing over 100,000 songs, a display at least 3", and still fitting in a shirt pocket together with earphones. Hopefully such a player would cost under $200, although under $100 would be much better(so too would be the inclusion of HD radio, and being built with an aluminum or magnesium alloy case). Ideally it should weigh under 2.5 ounces, although up to 4 ounces would be okay.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/supertramp/dreamer.html

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

JK98 wrote:

JK98, you a funny person.   Smiley Wink

Yes, those are nice specs.  Buy my iRiver iHP-140 with its original 40GB, and now 60GB, hard drive is a jukebox player, as is, for that matter, a Rockboxed Clip+ or Clip Zip with a 64GB or 128GB card installed.