Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SanDisk Guru
JK98

Players with more than one card slot?

Why doesn't Sandisk make some players with 2 or 4 micro SDXC card slots? Why do those who want a player with at least 128GB of storage need to buy a player with a hard drive?

SanDisk Guru
Miikerman

Re: Players with more than one card slot?

Preaching to the choir, brother. :smileywink: And I'd like to see a $100-$150 (or even above) 128GB solid state memory UberClip--possible financially nowadays, now that the price of 32 GB microSD cards has come down. And certainly for a memory manufacturer like SanDisk--no middleperson costs. (Can you imagine the throngs of people who would buy such a player? There just ain't no comparison out there, apart from hard-drive based players--the iPod and some Archos models.)
SanDisk Guru
neutron_bob

SanDisk has actually played with the concept of offering a player with removable media only, even multiple ports.  The first card would function as the base memory.

The idea has some merit, as a lower-cost device can be customized to the desired base capacity, with the second port available for further expansion, or a handy SlotMusic / SlotRadio card.

I am a bit more traditional, preferring that the player have resident NAND memory for the firmware, music database, and more direct (much faster) access times.  The machine makes lore sense with a hard-wired base memory.  It sure is better in terms of reliability, as the requisite controller and data transfer have to be fed through that 4-pin connection.  The Shaker and slotMusic devices have no internal memory, come to think of it.

If the parsing and database issues can be streamlined sufficiently, as these cards are growing more voluminous by the day, it makes sense.  Time will tell...

Stuffing that much capacity in something as small as the Clip doesn't make sense to me...with that much capacity, we only have a day's worth of juice available in a very small battery.  Perhaps something like the e200's size (and removable battery) would be better.

Bob  :smileytongue:

SanDisk Guru
Marvin_Martian

[ Edited ]

Miikerman wrote:
Preaching to the choir, brother. :smileywink: And I'd like to see a $100-$150 (or even above) 128GB solid state memory UberClip--possible financially nowadays, now that the price of 32 GB microSD cards has come down. And certainly for a memory manufacturer like SanDisk--no middleperson costs. (Can you imagine the throngs of people who would buy such a player? There just ain't no comparison out there, apart from hard-drive based players--the iPod and some Archos models.)

There is also the Cowon X7......160GB, but it's a little bit larger device.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru
JK98

I am thinking about something the size of a Fuze but  perhaps slightly thicker if necessary if it could have 4 micro SDHC card slots. I guess they might want to  first come out with a model with 2 card slots.

SanDisk Guru
gwk1967

Two slots is doable. Four slots? We'll have flying cars in every driveway first, I think.

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

gwk1967 wrote:

Two slots is doable. Four slots? We'll have flying cars in every driveway first, I think.

Personally, I think we'll see them before we ever see a player with even 2 card slots.

SanDisk Guru
JK98

Time to make the next Clip 25% thicker, and 25% longer, increasing battery life to 30+ hours, and adding a second card slot.

SanDisk Guru
Marvin_Martian

[ Edited ]

JK98 wrote:

Time to make the next Clip 25% thicker, and 25% longer, increasing battery life to 30+ hours, and adding a second card slot.

Absolutely, positively not!

The next Fuze, maybe, but the Clip does not need to get any bigger. Besides, the next generation of players should theoretically be compatible with the microsdxc cards, so there's no need for multiple card slots.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru
gwk1967

[ Edited ]

Marvin_Martian wrote:
Absolutely, positively not!

The next Fuze, maybe, but the Clip does not need to get any bigger. Besides, the next generation of players should theoretically be compatible with the microsdxc cards, so there's no need for multiple card slots.

I don't fully understand JK's desire for multiple card slots, but I'm pretty sure it's not just about capacity.