New player idea

What I would love to see…is a hybrid of Clip and Fuze. Battery life of the Fuze, form factor of the Clip. No video worries, Clip-type display, microsdhc slot, clip on the back…if you kept the display small like the Clip’s, you could fit a bigger Fuze type battery pack and perhaps build a player halfway between the 2 in size…anybody with me?  :smileyvery-happy:

What, no AA or AAA battery, AM radio or folder navigation?

@tapeworm wrote:

LOL :smiley:

I’ve never had a player with folder browsing, so I don’t know if I would like it or not. But AM, no. And I have rechargable AA and AAA for my remote controls(DVD player, VCR, stereo receiver, TV), my low-end camera, my wireless PS2 controller, and my little FiiO E3…that’s quite enough. I’d rather have my wall-charger for my Sansas :wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

LOL :smiley:

I’ve never had a player with folder browsing, so I don’t know if I would like it or not. But AM, no. And I have rechargable AA and AAA for my remote controls(DVD player, VCR, stereo receiver, TV), my low-end camera, my wireless PS2 controller, and my little FiiO E3…that’s quite enough. I’d rather have my wall-charger for my Sansas :wink:

What I would love to see…is a hybrid of Clip and Fuze. Battery life of the Fuze, form factor of the Clip. No video worries, Clip-type display, microsdhc slot, clip on the back…if you kept the display small like the Clip’s, you could fit a bigger Fuze type battery pack and perhaps build a player halfway between the 2 in size…anybody with me?  :smileyvery-happy:

“I’ve never had a player with folder browsing, so I don’t know if I would like it or not.”

With folder navigation, it would be similar to looking for songs on your pc. Do you prefer the method of navigation on your pc, or on your Sandisk players?

I am the new owner of a View32Gb, and I am thoroughly disappointed with the lack of folder view.

Of course one can think up some ways to get around it, but when you have thousands of mp3’s already

properly tagged you sure don’t want the hassle of retagging them. My idea of a large capacity player

is that I travel for one month without ever needing a PC again - at least not for my music. I keep

my music ordered in folders, and it’s faster to search.  

JK98 wrote:

Do you prefer the method of navigation on your pc, or on your Sandisk players?

I don’t see why I must have to choose. I come from another brand who offered both.

Any idea whether Sansa might rethink their policy on “no folders”?

@ari09 wrote:
I am the new owner of a View32Gb, and I am thoroughly disappointed with the lack of folder view.

Of course one can think up some ways to get around it, but when you have thousands of mp3’s already

properly tagged you sure don’t want the hassle of retagging them. My idea of a large capacity player

is that I travel for one month without ever needing a PC again - at least not for my music. I keep

my music ordered in folders, and it’s faster to search.  

@jk98 wrote:

Do you prefer the method of navigation on your pc, or on your Sandisk players?

I don’t see why I must have to choose. I come from another brand who offered both.

Any idea whether Sansa might rethink their policy on “no folders”?

1.) If your mp3’s are properly tagged and organized, why would it be necessary to re-tag them? It isn’t any harder to find a particular song (or songs) by tags than it is by folders. If you’re wanting to ‘play by folders’, a playlist will do the same job. Which is in fact what a playlist is for, isn’t it? Hence the name.

2.) JK98 was simply asking Marvin a question on his navigation preferences in response to his comment about whether he would like folder-browing as opposed to tag-based browsing. He wasn’t implying or suggesting he (or anyone) would ‘have to choose’. Of course, if a player has the option of both, then naturally ones does have to choose, although it would not be a one-way street. One would ‘choose’ to switch back & forth at their whim.

3.) Look around and read the several ‘multiple-page tug-o-wars’ or threads here on this issue, and you’ll find while there are many who would want this feature, many simply see it as un-neccessary as they are perfectly content with the way it is now, so adding the feature would not ‘enhance’ their experience at all. In fact, it could diminish their ‘joy’ as incorporating folder-browsing most likely would take up more memory, leaving less space for music.

4.) If you take my suggestion and read through the threads that pertain to this hotly debated subject, you’ll also find that SanDisk has said, they not only are considering it, but are actively working on it as we speak. And only because so many people on this forum have indicated (rather strongly) that they want it. I don’t know whether it will be added to the View or not, but it is on the drawing board for the Fuze & likely the Clip as well. The View might be a little ‘long in the tooth’ for SanDisk to expend the resources on it for this model. Personally, I feel the View in it’s current state will likely be dropped and a new, improved replacement introduced within the forseeable future. But that’s only my opinion.

5.) For the record, I have a e200 series v1 model with Rockbox firmware installed. RB offers both File & Database browsing (Folders vs. Tags). I very rarely (in fact, virtually never) use the folder or file method of searching for a particular song, album or artist. To me, since my tags are 100% edited and correct (something I always do when ripping or adding them to the player), it is just as simple & quick to find something by tags as it is by folder/file hierarchy. And I have at present over 2700 tracks on one player and it’s external memory card. But of course, your mileage may vary. :wink:

Thank you TapeWorm,

you provided an interestin view about Sansa’s plans. As you say, mileage may vary: I have 9,000+ songs, and I do want to do things which are possible with the folder view and not possible with the tag view. I won’t go into details but it seems I am not the only one that really wants this feature. 

I am afraid I made the wrong choice with this product. 

What I would love to see is a touchscreen Sansa. I would definitely buy it.

Message Edited by saxmaster765 on 02-20-2009 06:19 PM

Oh, and have a replacable battery. I’d hate to have a touchscreen phone only to have it die and become a worthless chunk of plastic and metal, and other stuff, which is what I’m afraid my Fuze will do. They should make a Fuze with a replacable battery.

Just having a battery that is replace isn’t enough though, as a replacement battery might be too expensive, or not available when it is needed. Buying a replacement battery in advance won’t help, as the battery degenerates over time whether it is used or not. What is needed is a player that uses a standard, inexpensive, easily swappable battery. This would also solve the problem of running out of power when away from a pc, as spare charged batteries could be carried with the player. AA and AAA nimh batteries are so inexpensive and convenient, yet so few higher quality mp3 players make use of these.