How about a Clip+ LP version(long play)?

So many people love the Clip and Clip+ but some are so  very frustrated by the short(12 hours or so for many in real world use) battery life, and modify their player into an ugly mess just to get longer battery life.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39803

Ah, the joys of production constraints.  The Clip+ has slightly less battery capacity, 290mAh, versus the Clip’s 330mAh LiPo battery.  Yet, despite the increased demands placed upon the machine by adding µSDHC support, SanDisk discontinued the famous blue ring light for the new Clip+, removing a major power consumer in the interest of conserving power.

The resulting power savings helps considerably, but I do note that the Clip+ consumes electrons at a regular pace.  Of late, this rate is increased by my personal habits, as I test out possible ways to kill the wee beastie.  I’m not having much luck in this endeavor, as the initial firmware is quite stable, I’m happy to report.

If you’ll recall, my preference for the Clip+ involved increasing the depth about 3mm, as growth along “the Z-axis” is far less obtrusive with this happy form factor.  I would love to see a deeper battery mounted in the future.  And the slightly increased heft adds to the quality feel of the device, I must admit.

The best alternative to gnarling up your Clip, as shown in the ABI photos, is the wee Duracell USB power pack, now that’s a nice little device.  I also like the Macally USB power pack, the smaller of the two, that looks like a little “brownie”.  I like the Macally because it satisfies my need for wee status lights and other cool controls.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 11-22-2009 11:29 AM

After looking at the disassembly of the clip plus on ABI, it seems that it wouldn’t have been too difficult for Sandisk to have increased the clip plus’ length by half an inch.  The battery is flat and rectangular.  One that is half an inch longer could increase battery life by 4-5 hours in my estimation. (Just judging from size alone.)

The display could also be longer too and that will allow for the addition of another line to show the time.

Sandisk may as well add a colour screen and call it a Fuze+

d_headshot wrote:
Sandisk may as well add a colour screen and call it a Fuze+

Maybe a Cluze or Flip. :smileyvery-happy:

The Motorola BR50 battery seems slightly smaller than the clip+ in 2 dimensions, and half the thickness of the Clip+ without the Clip. By increasing the thickness of the Clip+ by less than 50%, they could have a version of the Clip+ with the 710 mah BR50 battery rather than the current battery. Since the current 290 mah battery in the Clip+ gives around 12 hours of play time, a version of the Clip+ with a BR50 battery in it rather than the current battery would give around 29 hours of play time.

Message Edited by JK98 on 12-30-2009 06:29 PM

My Clip+ also doesn’t last very long between charges - about 6 hours seems to be typical - and the charge indicator is just wacky.  This is an 8Gb player bought in the UK in December 2009.

+1 from me on the idea of making the Clip+ a little bigger so the battery lifetime can be increased.  In fact I wouldn’t mind if they made it as much as twice as big.  My Clip+ is so small and light (or maybe my hands are so big and clunky) that it’s hard to tell whether I’m actually holding it.  I’d be pleased if it were a little heavier, and maybe longer [… :wink:]

PS: see my post here : http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?message.uid=139967#U139967

for the rest of my opinion on battery lifetime.

scuzzy wrote:

. . .maybe my hands are so big and clunky) that it’s hard to tell whether I’m actually holding it.  I’d be pleased if it were a little heavier, and maybe longer [… :wink:]

Me too . . .

Oh wait, I was thinking of something else! Never mind .:dizzy_face:

No further comments?

Rockbox helps.:stuck_out_tongue:

@jk98 wrote:
No further comments?

What’s that quote . . . “Discretion is the better part of valor?”

@jk98 wrote:
No further comments?

What’s that quote . . . “Discretion is the better part of valor?”

You must be bored; dredging up an almost year-old thread of yours further propegating your

sermon.

This Clip+ with around 150-200 hours of battery life amuses me. This is a bit extreme though.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64327

I’d prefer to see a clip-on extended play battery pack that could be clipped onto the Clip’s back (and make the Clip’s clip removable, so that it could be put onto the extended play battery pack when it’s attached). I’d buy one. :wink:

In typical use (rather than simply letting the device play continuously in shuffle mode), I usually top off the device daily or every other day.

Playing podcasts, audio books, and protected media, the device is busy, plus the display is often active.  I usually find that the device has dropped to 30-40% on many days.

In short, a higher battery capacity would be a great addition.  I like the idea of a “piggyback” accessory battery as well.  Holey moley, that pair of batteries globbed on the back is ugly, but it does illustrate that if some are that determined t give the Clip more capacity, there is a market for the idea.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Still no version of the Clip+ or Clip Zip with longer battery life. All I want is 30 hours of battery life. It wouldn’t require making the player that much thicker. At 30 hours it would match the battery life of the fruit company’s lowest priced player with a screen. So many turn down the Clip+ and Clip Zip because they want longer battery life. I love the Clip+ and Clip Zip(both Rockboxed) except for the battery life.

@jk98 wrote:

Still no version of the Clip+ or Clip Zip with longer battery life. All I want is 30 hours of battery life. It wouldn’t require making the player that much thicker. At 30 hours it would match the battery life of the fruit company’s lowest priced player with a screen. So many turn down the Clip+ and Clip Zip because they want longer battery life. I love the Clip+ and Clip Zip(both Rockboxed) except for the battery life.

Resurrecting a thread from the archives . . . .   :wink:

@jk98 wrote:

How about one with (claimed) _ 25 _ hours battery life?  Perhaps someone at SanDisk actually is listening to you.   :wink:

See:

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?p=643615&posted=1#post643615

The Clip Sport is imo a disappointment. they should have just stuck with everything in the Clip Zip but added a larger capacity battery and a larger screen for the slightly larger form factor player.

I would love to see player the shape of the original Fuze but slightly thicker with 50+ hours of battery life, the same processor and circuitry as the Fuze, except for controls like on the Clip Zip, and a standard micro usb connector. Hopefully this would be priced at $99(or less?) for an 8GB version. It would be even better if it could have two card slots. Adding support for micro SDXC cards without having to format them as FAT32 would be great.