SanDisk Fanatic

Re: AA battery powered mp3 player?

[ Edited ]

Apologies for not reqading the whole thread.

Batteries?

So now we want to go backwards?!?

Rio and many others made players to the OP's specs YEARS AGO. Maybe you young kids never saw them. They already sell what you want.... on EBAY! Smiley Very Happy

Example: Rio Chiba.

Review:

"It may be big, but for the size you get a large, very clear screen with the ever-present efficient blue backlighting. This combined with the joystick makes the browse ergonomics the best I've seen so far on a flash memory player. With its scroll menus and easy-to-use, the device exudes convenience. There are the usual playlists and settings, and an equalizer you can set as you need, plus a built-in FM tuner. Its capacity is 128 or 256 MB with an SD Card extension port. That is a really good idea given the reasonable price of this type of card. It is powered by an AAA battery; we used a Duracell and found an amazing continuous playback time of 15 hours and 30 minutes."

I doubt you will ever see a player run on regular type batteries ever again.

We need replaceable Li-ON batteries... not alkaline or NiMH. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by Peregrine on 04-24-2009 10:37 AM

but now are out of production...

FLAC Attack!
SanDisk Fanatic

Yea, because no one wanted to use batteries anymore.

lol

Smiley Very Happy

[ Edited ]

Peregrine wrote:

Yea, because no one wanted to use batteries anymore.

lol

Smiley Very Happy

You don't think it was the 256 MB with a maxed out expansion of 2G?

FWIW, I gave one of my kids a Clip a few months ago but so far she's sticking with her M200 with it's AAA NiMH  because it has comparable or longer run time on a charge, then she can quickly swap to another set and go that long again.  She is NEVER stuck waiting an hour or 2 for the player to charge.

Message Edited by donp on 05-11-2009 07:06 AM
SanDisk Fanatic

2G is not the limit on the Rio Chiba.... that was just the largest card they made when it was being produced.

I erred in thinking SD (non-HC) was limited to 2 GB (apparently it goes to 4).  There is another issue, how well it handles different block sizes (required to go over 1G).  THe memory dealer I checked only lists up to 2G for the Chiba.
SanDisk Fanatic

Well, I don't want to debate specifically the Chiba ad infintum. Another consideration is size. Nowadays everyone wants a Fuze or Nano sized MP3 player. Most people do anyway. Yea it's great to be able to purchase and install batteries when you really need some, but I will take my "15+ hour battery life, rechargable, no $$ spent on batteries player that fits so well in a pocket I can forget it is there" player any day. Smiley Wink

donp wrote:
I erred in thinking SD (non-HC) was limited to 2 GB (apparently it goes to 4).  There is another issue, how well it handles different block sizes (required to go over 1G).  THe memory dealer I checked only lists up to 2G for the Chiba.

True, but many people reported problems with 4GB non-HC cards. Apparently they didn't entirely comform to the microSD specs.

SanDisk Professor

[ Edited ]

Peregrine wrote:

Well, I don't want to debate specifically the Chiba ad infintum. Another consideration is size. Nowadays everyone wants a Fuze or Nano sized MP3 player. Most people do anyway. Yea it's great to be able to purchase and install batteries when you really need some, but I will take my "15+ hour battery life, rechargable, no $$ spent on batteries player that fits so well in a pocket I can forget it is there" player any day. Smiley Wink

Well, that's one preference.  As I said, my kid HAS a clip and doesn't use it because she doesn't want to deal with waiting on charge.  Her NiMH's charge in about 20 minutes and she can be nowhere near the charger and still playing tunes on the other set while that's gong on.
 edit: by "much time away from outlets" I mean like a week or 2.
Making that player thin may be a sale closer, but that doesn't make it best for everyone's every day use.  It may be ideal for folks who don't spend much time away from outlets and/or plan on replacing every year so they won't hit the point where that 15 hour play time is down to 2-3 (audio) or not long enough to get through a video.

Message Edited by donp on 05-12-2009 03:21 PM
SanDisk Fanatic

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6490_7-6582800.html