Re: AA battery powered mp3 player?

One of the problems with the Consumer Tech markets is the "me too" syndrome. I LOVED my AA Battery Samsung MT6[a-z]. I LOVE my current AAA Battery IRiver T60. My daughters and I LOVED our AAA E players. But...

When I go searching, all I see is these @#$@^& internal battery players.  If I was Rayovac, Duracell, or Everready, I'd commit to cajoling the various digital music player manufacturers to use "modular power systems", that is, commodity, rechargeable, replaceable batteries.

Sansa should commit to ALWAYS have a micro SD slot on their players. If they made a player that:

1. Allowed music selection by directory structure.

2. Had a micro SD Slot.

3. Used a AA battery.

I'd buy it immediately.

SanDisk Guru

Did you see the press release on the Sandisk Slotmusic player? It is just $20, has a micro SD card slot, runs on one AAA battery, but it has no display! Sound quality is said to be worse than the Clip. I wish Sandisk would make a premium edition of this with a display, and sound quality equal to the Clip. It would be great if the player also has a clip.

Well, just to show there is a demand, I found this forum by searching for an mp3

player with a micro SD slot and an AA battery. Also a necessity on my list is mid

track resume. That probably needs a note added. I use the player for some talks

I really enjoy that are 30 to 90 minutes long.  My 2 gb Sansa will display their

length as 10 to about 19 min long. It will play the whole talk, but if a knife fight

breaks out in the seat behind me on a bus and I want to pause the talk after the

displayed time length, I can't get back to the same spot after I've hid under the

seat. I have to start at the beginning again. (Darn it.)

Also on my wish list is AM radio (assuming fm of course) and I would really like 2

AA batteries. The sleek and sexy stuff does absolutely nothing for me. If the

player would go back to the point the battery died with its mid track resume that

would talk me out of the 2nd battery on the wish list.

I did find an audiobook page that had 11 players listed with mid track resume.

None of them were the Mac players or Zunes, and 2 that I looked at closely were

Sansas. 

I have actually brought up this question in the off topic part of 2 non related

forums and got 0 replies, so glad to find this page.

That was a lot of typing. I'm going to run back into the office, slam the door and

pour a double brandy. 

SanDisk User

[ Edited ]

Well, this has certainly been a lively discussion!

Does anyone remember the scene from the movie "Armageddon", where Col. Lev Andropov freaks out and grabs the pipe from Jennifer Watts, and starts to beat the hell out of the spaceship?

Do you remember his lines? Lev: "It's stuck, yes?" Watts: "Back off! You don't know the components!" Lev: [annoyed] "Components. American components, Russian components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!"

Are there any Chinese interpreters in the house?

Message Edited by mstubie on 11-05-2008 10:28 PM
Message Edited by mstubie on 11-05-2008 10:45 PM
If you could only hear the voices in my head!
Primary Sansa - c240 Rockboxed, 8GB Micro SDHC Cards, Vorbis @ 6.25, 650mAh Battery, Sennheiser CX500 IEM
Other Sansa's - 8GB Fuze, e280 v2, e130.

the EU has made some useful rullings, in reaction to apple not having user servicable batteries I suspect. Namely that all new kit must have user servicable batteries either via simple cover or with the use of upto two screws

I suspect that AAA based MP3 players will be coming soon after.

Interesting to see various discussions on this AA/AAA powered player. 

I am a very (very) big fan of a AA powered small mp3 player.  I mean AA and not AAA.  I have the sansa m260 and like it a lot - my biggest wish for it is it should used a AA and not a AAA.  Come on who would mind a slight extra bulkiness (if that was the reason) if they were offered 3x the battery life?  This would have been my PERFECT player if it had used AA and not AAA.  Of course I am also a big fan of being able to turn the backlight off (in daytime) or setting it to 1 second.  It gives me a feeling that I am not unnecessarily wasting precious battery juice (it is possible that the display drain is a very small percentage, but still...), along these lines I really wish the sansa player did not have the bright circular blue ring light in almost all their players nowadays...

Though I am not a regular listener, I simply like the idea of popping in a battery anytime I wish and enjoy for hours and not having to think about the charge on the player...

Actually I just baught aaa batteries from ebay that were 1500 mah so 1000 is not the highest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=370124006483 

SanDisk Guru

Have you tested those 1500 mah nimh AAA batteries? I find it hard to believe that they would provide 50% more run time than the Sanyo 1000 mah AAA nimh batteries.
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]
I just noticed the 18650 lithium ion rechargeable battery. It is only around $5 retail,  and a charger that charges two of them is only around $10 retail. It holds more than double the power of a 2900 mah AA nimh battery, but is only slightly larger. It would be cool if Sandisk designed a player with an easily replaceable battery using the 18650, and packaged the player with a charger and two 18650 batteries.
Message Edited by JK98 on 12-21-2008 01:52 AM

They just arrived a cople days ago.  I tried 2 and they're not lasting very long.  My charger might just be broken or may not be the right one.