AA battery powered mp3 player?

@jk98 wrote:
I would love to see an mp3 player that is powered by a AA battery and has a full sized SD card slot. It would be even better if it navigates by folders or by ID3 tags, and especially appreciated if it has AM radio as well. Not everyone wants the smallest possible player, but most people do want a player that will fit comfortably in a typical shirt pocket.

I’m curious; why would you want a player that runs on AA or even AAA batteries instead of the Li-Ion or Li-Poly batteries they use now? What advantage would there be? The existing batteries last 15 - 35 hours as it is; I doubt whether an alkaline battery is going to surpass that.

The existing batteries are re-chargeable, and suffer no ‘memory’ cycle, so they can be re-charged w/o depleting the charge down to nil. The typical re-chargable Ni-Cads or something similar do suffer the ‘memory’ cycle and so one can lose quite a bit of power and operating time if they don’t follow the correct charging procedure.

The existing batterries are ecologically-friendly. They will last for years. Hopefully, someone will come up with a way to re-cycle them. But if AA or AAA size batteries were used; yes, a few people would buy re-chargables but I’ll bet the majority would not. That would only benefit and pad the pockets of the companies that make Duracell & Energizer and put a lot more of these things into the landfills so they can leach into our ground water and poison our food and our children.

I’m also interested in hearing your reasons behind wanting a full-size card slot instead of the Micro card slot they have now. Is there some sort of advantage to the larger card? With the capacities getting larger as we speak, I don’t see the attraction of a physically larger card. And I may not be a genius, but I’m not “dumber than a bag of hammers” either. I can’t find any full-size card with a larger capacity then 8Gb. And there are Micro cards with that.

Folders? Yeah, OK. The existing tag system doesn’t bother me, but I understand how folders could benefit some users by the way they organize their music. But SanDisk has already said (numerous times) that it ain’t gonna happen! Time to stop beatin’ that dead horse!

AM radio? I’m with you on that one, in theory. I very seldom, if ever listen to the FM radio on my Sansa. My musical library is a helluva lot better, and there’s no commercials. But I would listen to various ‘talk’ radio discussions, news, etc. on AM ir it were available. the problem is the AM antennae and size. The player would have to be much larger and heavier than it is now, and with the marketplace and the competition going smaller & lighter, I doubt that SanDisk is going to reverse course 180 degrees and buck the tide! I sure wouldn’t if I were at the helm!

Don’t get me wrong . . . I’m am not trying to insult you or your ideas. Obviously, you have logical reasons behind these thoughts, but I can’t see some of them. Perhaps if you explain or elaborate?

Of course, then again . . . maybe I AM dumber than a bag of hammers! :smileyvery-happy:

1 Like