AA battery powered mp3 player?

@jk98 wrote:

“1) Consumers. Sadly, the ones that want to see more DAPs with replaceable batteries are a very small minority.”

I don’t believe that, and won’t believe that until all new models of both digital cameras and cell phones  have a built in battery. 

Well, I haven’t done any good statistics poll but the crowd has spoken - AA powered DAPs are virtually extinct and I think digital cameras are following this trend.

Maybe it’s because of ignorance and maybe it’s because people just don’t care - it doesn’t matter as the bottom line is the same.

Even in 2006, near the end of the AA era in DAPs when other companies’ products were much superior in all aspects, people still bought 3 times more Apple products (remember the upset when all these original ipods were dying because of the battery?)  

http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.3542

If people were so interested in AA powered DAPs they would stop buying every new iPhone that pops up but it hasn’t happened yet and it seems people don’t care; in their mind, a year-old electronic device is already obsolete so why would they want to keep it when they can buy the latest-and-greatest? 

The fact that there are many digital camera models being made that use AA batteries means that consumers do like using AA batteries.

The consumers may like it on some device but even that is changing.

AA is considered too bulky and it doesn’t fit in with the trend of slim device with huge screens that slip-in-your-pocket.

Smaller isn’t necessarily better if the controls and screen are too small. While allowing for a swappable battery takes up more space, if the battery is charged outside the player[…]

I agree 100% but I’m one of the choir… there are many infidels out there who wouldn’t listen…

I disagree. AA or AAA isn’t the only option for easily swappable batteries though. A lithium ion battery would also be okay if a standard sized, easily swappable, inexpensive one that is charged outside the player is used.

Again, total agreement. I would also mention that it’s relatively easy to design a device that can operate on all kinds of battery chemistries (in fact, many flashlights do that) with the same for factor.

There are a few problems:

1. There should be an agreement on the form factor/voltage for this new standard - but with all the format wars/solid state memory wars etc. going on with each company trying to crush the others can you see a wall-to-wall agreement and effort to push this new standard? I can’t.

1. This standard would make it harder for companies to design slimmer devices as they do now with molding the battery to fit the device they create rather than the opposite.

1. I already mentioned it in my previous post: companies want to sell more products. Duh. And right now, in the consumer electronics/handhelds industry, they can sell products without a replaceable battery and get away with it, so why wouldn’t they continue? this way they can sell a new model every year instead of 

a zero-profit battery. Why sell less when you can sell more? standard, long life, rechargeable, replaceable battery is only gonna lower sales. This isn’t the swiss watches industry: “We’re proud that our products last a lifetime”, this is consumer electronics: “Look, the new model has more colors! and it is sooooo shiny”.

there is no reason that mp3 player makers can’t also do this.

They certainly can, but they don’t. And it won’t change as long as it fits the industry and there’s not enough demand, which bring me back to the starting point. We’re the minority. The informed fringe.

Message Edited by ssdd1 on 09-22-2009 02:45 PM

Message Edited by ssdd1 on 09-22-2009 02:45 PM