Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
SanDisk User
bottlerocket

How do I do a hard reset?

How do I return the device to its original factory settings?  I loaded songs onto the device, and now I get a white screen when it updates the database.
Thanks
PJ
SanDisk User
PJ

Re: How do I do a hard reset?

I would suggest formatting the device to clear the memory. Normally you can do this through My Computer. Just connect the device in MSC mode, right-click on the drive, and choose format. If the device is not connecting to the PC properly, you should connect in recovery mode and load the sansa.fmt file that is mentioned in the FAQ at the top of the page.
SanDisk User
bottlerocket

I think I did it right, but I've yet to have any success.  Let me verify.  You create a blank notepad document called "sansa.fmt" and copy it to the drive that represents the Sansa device [i.e. 16 mg-format].  This file somehow forces the device to reformat?  Or is there something I must make the file do in order for it to reformat the device?

I tried it once, but the device screen again turned white while restoring the database.  When I returned to recovery mode after this latest failure to reset, the 'sansa.fmt' file was no longer on the device.  I copied it again, and I also copied pp5022.mi4, the firmware updater file onto the device to see if that will work. 
I'll post back in a few minutes with the results.
SanDisk User
bottlerocket

Unfortunately, loading both sansa.fmt and pp5022.mi4 into the device in recovery mode gave me a different error message--failure to load main image.  I'm back in recovery mode, and I'll try to load just sansa.fmt again. 
PJ
SanDisk User
PJ

Both files will not be on the player next time you connect it. They are removed after the firmware updates and the player is formatted. Watch the screen after you disconnect it to verify that the player is updating and formatting. If you are getting a load main image failed error after doing this, you may have loaded the wrong firmware or the firmware simply did not load properly.

Both the standard and Rhapsody players have the same filename for their firmware (pp5022.mi4). Verify the version of the device you have by looking at the back cover. If it have a letter 'r' at the end use the Rhapsody firmware. If there is no letter 'r' use the standard version firmware. If you see a V2 on the back, use the version 2 firmware.
Lysirap

Does reformatting the device erase all the data-- including the system/firmware? Or just the files we upload (music, imgs, vids) but want to delete?

[All my music files got corrupted. When I tried to see if I could delete them through Rhapsody, none of my tracks appeared, yet the same amount of memory is still taken up.

I have imgs uploaded on my Sansa, too, but they aren't affected.

If I reformat my sansa, will just the music and imgs be deleted and the settings returned to default?
PJ
SanDisk User
PJ

Only the media will be deleted. The system is not affected. The player will still operate normally as a format.
SanDisk User
bottlerocket

I appreciate your comment.  I did get my device to do a hard reset, and revert to the factory settings.  I had to copy the sansa.fmt file and the updater file onto the device in recovery mode.  I think I may have inadvertently failed to use the updater file for the Rhapsody version of the device.  I got mine to work by downloading the files from anythingbutipod.com.  The ones I got directly from Sansa didn't work, unfortunately.  I believe the white screen problem was caused by a "corrupted mp3 file."  Any idea what that means?
SanDisk User
Lowjack

Hey Guys, Bid BIG difference between the E200's and the E200r's. Be carefull when loading the firmware. they may be named the same but they are different from 1 player to the next. thats what causes the "Load Mian Image Failed" Error.

If you need to do a factory reset, best thing I found is to call SanDisk and have them email you out the firmware so you are sure to get the right firmware.
SanDisk User
bottlerocket

Amen to that!  It's an easy oversight to make.  I was one step away from sending the device back, and buying another iPOD--for a lot more money.
I think the responses everyone made to my question makes things very clear.
Thanks millions.