Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ventsi
Accepted Solution

sansa e280 white screen freeze up

Hi, I have had a Sansa e280 for quite a while now. I have been getting occasional freezes and other problems but have been able to fix them through a restart or a format. But the other day the player restarted while I was listening to music. After the first screen with the Sandisk logo, the screen turned white and restarted, going through the same process over and over again. I tried to hold the power button for a while and restart it but didn't work. I tried taking out the battery for a few minutes, then hours, but that didn't work. Then, I tried using the firmware e200fw01.00.12.exe to format it. It would start formatting after I disconnect it from the PC, but after it was done, the problem remained. I tried putting an empty folder called sansa.fmt in the 16 mb drive on My Computer but that didn't help either. The screen is still flashing after the format. I tried searching on the internet for other solutions but I couldn't find anything else. Can you suggest anything? Is there any way to fix this or what do I have to do?
SanDisk Guru
neutron_bob

Re: sansa e280 white screen freeze up

PLace the Sansa in Recovery Mode, plug in, and see that the 16MB FORMAT icon appears in Windows Explorer.

Right click in the window, and create a new folder named sansa.fmt 

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORMAT THE RESERVED PARTITION USING THE WINDOWS FORMAT COMMAND!!

Drag and drop the sansa.fmt folder into the 16MB FORMAT partition.  Right-click and select eject.

Unplug, and see if it will automatically format.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

ventsi

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical support. It is our goal to make sure that you have all the resources that you need to make the most out of your product.

I understand that you have been experiencing some difficulties in the operation of your Sansa player. Let me assist you with your concern.

Please answer the following questions. These will be used for product development and resolve issues with devices that may have possible conflicts with our products:

- The Operating System of your computer (Windows XP, Windows Vista Home Basic, etc.)?
- The brand, make (laptop or a desktop) and model of your computer?

This may be caused when there is a corruption in the system of the Sansa or the battery is not properly mounted.

If your player is frozen or will not power on/off, try the "Soft Reset" first. With the device unplugged from the computer, press and hold the "Power/Menu" button for about 20 seconds. Press the button once again to see if the player will power on.

If the soft reset didn’t work, let us try re-seating the battery of the Sansa to make sure that it is securely plugged in.

To re-seat the battery, simply take the back cover off by removing the four screws then slide it. After taking out the battery, please put it back in making sure that it is securely in place.

If it still fails, we may need to "Format" and perform a manual re-installation of the firmware to over-write system errors. Please back up all data before proceeding.

Please note that SanDisk Sansa MP3 Players are only supported on Windows XP (Home and Professional Edition) with Windows Media Player (WMP) versions 10 or 11 installed and Windows Vista Operating Systems.

Please try the procedures for the Standard e200.

FOR STANDARD e200:

1. Open the "My Computer" (Windows XP) / "Computer" (Windows Vista) window. To perform "Recovery Mode", make sure that the player is off and the Hold switch is enabled (slide the HOLD switch towards the right until orange is showing) then press and hold the "Record" button while connecting the device to your computer. Wait until a "16MB-FORMAT" icon appears in the "My Computer" / "Computer" window, and then release the Record button.

2. Click on the link for the Sansa e200 Firmware and download it to your desktop or you could copy and paste the link below on the address bar of your Internet browser and hit Enter:

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/e200/e200v101.02.24a.zip

3. Right-click on the file you just downloaded and select "Open with" > "Compressed Folder". Drag and drop or copy and paste the files into the "16MB-FORMAT" drive.

4. Please create a new text document, click on "Start" then click on "Run" and type-in "Notepad". Notepad would open with a file named "Untitled", click on "File" then "Save As". On the "Save As" window, select "Desktop" on the "Save in" box at the top of the screen. Type "Sansa" on the "File Name" then click on "Save". Close the window then look for the file we created, it would be named "Sansa.txt" with a notepad for an icon. Highlight/select the file then press "F2" on your keyboard. Type in on the box "Sansa.FMT" then press enter. A "Rename" window would open, click on "Yes" to rename the file. Let us then place the "Sansa.FMT" in the root folder of 16MB FORMAT. This will format the player and delete EVERYTHING on it. Skip this step if you don't want to format.

5. Move the Hold switch back to the left to where white is showing. Disconnect the player and look at the screen. Verify if it is formatting and resetting. Once it finally finishes doing its update, you may need to restart it and choose your language.

We look forward to your response for the result.

Should you have any other concerns and queries please let us know, it is indeed our pleasure to assist you

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Which, I believe is pretty much what neutron_bob suggested and that you said you had already tried, but it didn't work!?!
jijusino

I have the same problem that is describe in this post with my e240 and I tried this solution that format and install manually the firmware, but the problem is still occurring. What is the next step, please advice????????
SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Which problem? Occasional freeze-ups or the player re-starting with a white screen on its own? You need to tell us exactly what the player is doing, when it started, how long you've had it, what version is it, things like this. Your problem may be completely different or it may be the same, but we won't know until you give some more details.

If I had a dollar for every time I see someone say, " I have the exact same problem" when in fact, they do not have the same problem at all, I could retire and do this full-time. :smileyvery-happy:

SanDisk Guru
neutron_bob

Tapeworm!  I've been trying to insert a cool photo that seems, well, perfect.

First, it somehow includes HTML that the editor doesn't like.  Without further adieu, I have a trick.  Cut and paste this link:

http://chud.com/nextraimages/fly_2_se_screen%20(8).jpg

I found this while looking for a photo of the Brundle Fly yesterday, after seeing the phrase, "heeelllllp meeeee!"

Bob  :smileytongue:

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Bob - Were you looking for something like this?

SanDisk Guru
neutron_bob

Indeed.  The original Fly there.  Did you check out the image of the computer screen in my link?

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Looked like a virus to me. Definitely NOT the inspiration behind my name! :smileywink: