Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
gotdox

removing rockbox firmware from e280 v1

I need to remove rockbox and reinstall the original firmware to my e280 v1. It's easier for my wife to understand plus she got miffed that I switched out the firmware anyway without telling her. I know I know, do what you gotta do. Could you please tell me how to do this? Then maybe my life will go back to normal.

Thanks all.......

SanDisk Guru
TheMarkster

Re: removing rockbox firmware from e280 v1

If you used the rockbox utility to install rockbox, then you should be able to uninstall using it, too.  The player must be in MSC mode during the uninstallation.

If the rockbox utility doesn't work, you can try manually reloading the firmware via recovery mode.  Download the firmware files for the v1 players.  You'll extract those files into the root directory of the recovery mode 16MB-FORMAT partition.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORMAT THE 16MB-FORMAT PARTITION!!!

First, connect in recovery mode.

Turn player off.

HOLD switch to locked position (towards headphone jack)

Press and hold RECORD while connecting to PC

Release RECORD when you see Welcome to Recovery Mode on the LCD screen.

Open My Computer and locate the 16MB-FORMAT partition.  Extract the firmware files to the recovery partition.  Be sure they go into the root directory and not into a subdirectory.  If they go into a subdirectory, be sure to drag and drop them into the root directory instead.  If you would like to format the player, you can do so by creating another folder in the recovery partition's root directoy and naming it sansa.fmt.  

I believe this will completely remove rockbox, but I haven't actually tried it using this method.  The preferred method is to use the rockbox utility for both installation and uninstallation.

And, oh yeah, before I forget to mention it:

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Re: removing rockbox firmware from e280 v1

TheMarkster wrote:

TheMarkster has a brand new bag, I mean "sig"! :smileyvery-happy: