Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Emil-dk

"Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90 mb." sansa e280 problem

My 6 months (i think) old Sansa e280 V2 player has started making trouble. Whenever i try to turn on the thing it says: "Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90 mb."

When i plug it into my computer it is no longer listed in the "my computer" directory as Sandisk-player-whatever with that fancy little icon, instead its listed as two drives (F: and G:smileyhappy:. Whenever i try to enter those two drives, the window just goes to sleep. Furthermore a pop up warning-message appears every now and then when the player is plugged in saying: "Exeption Processing Message 0x0000013 Parameters 0x75BC92A00x00000004 0x75B92A0. Cancel, try again or continue" 

Does anyone know what to do? I believe i have installed the firmware updater, (which by the way did nothing other than making the start-up phase-please wait time alot longer...)

Does anyone have any idea what to do?  

SanDisk Guru
TheMarkster

Re: "Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90 mb." sansa e280 problem

You can fix the free space for music db problem by formatting the player.

The other error message -- I'm not sure.  It might just telling you that you don't have a memory card in the µSD slot.

SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

The second error sounds like your USB mode got switched from MTP to MSC. Switch it back under Settings.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
SanDisk Guru
neutron_bob

[ Edited ]

It looks like you have two primary issues, a corrupted music file or two, and the device has lost its MTP connection.

Since it's being recognized in MSC mode, we can take advantage of that, as running chkdsk on the first listed Sansa drive will correct the corruption, with a little luck.

Next, on the device, with it unplugged, go to Settings > USB Mode and see is you are in Auto Detect or MTP. If the check mark is next to one of these options, the MTP pipeline on your PC is suspect.

In auto Detect, the Sansa will peek at the installed operating system on the host PC, and it will attempt to connrct in teh available mode.

If you have at least Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10, you should be capable of MTP communication, where the Sansa is seen as a media device. It will, in this mode, be listed as a media player, at the bottom of the device list in Windows Explorer. If it is assigned a pair of successive drive letters, the device is in MSC mode, and will be recognized as a flash drive.

Repairing the MTP "pipeline" could be as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling the device in the Device Manager: to do this, first force the Sansa to try MTP mode exclusively, by selecting Settings > USB Mode > MTP on the machine, and plugging in.

Open the Device manager, and look for the wee yellow triangle of doom! Uninstall the driver, reboot, and plug in the Sansa again.

The three remaining steps are:

(1) Reinstall / upgrade to Windows Media Player 11,

(2) Look for the MTP Porting Kit from Microsoft, and install,

(3) Look in the search box here for details regarding fixup.zip, a little handy program that seems to help in many cases.

Let us know how it goes!

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 09-19-2008 01:32 PM
Emil-dk

neutron_bob wrote:

It looks like you have two primary issues, a corrupted music file or two, and the device has lost its MTP connection.

Since it's being recognized in MSC mode, we can take advantage of that, as running chkdsk on the first listed Sansa drive will correct the corruption, with a little luck.

Ive tried running Chkdsk on both of the drives, which opened up a blank msdos window, which closed after a little while, with no visible effect. 

Next, on the device, with it unplugged, go to Settings > USB Mode and see is you are in Auto Detect or MTP. If the check mark is next to one of these options, the MTP pipeline on your PC is suspect.

I am unable to do this, because i cant get further than the startup screen on the device saying:  

"Not enough space for music DB. Please free 90 mb."

In auto Detect, the Sansa will peek at the installed operating system on the host PC, and it will attempt to connrct in teh available mode.

If you have at least Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10, you should be capable of MTP communication, where the Sansa is seen as a media device. It will, in this mode, be listed as a media player, at the bottom of the device list in Windows Explorer. If it is assigned a pair of successive drive letters, the device is in MSC mode, and will be recognized as a flash drive.

I think the device is currently semi-recognized as MSC. In the my computer folder its drive F: and G :, but if i do anything, like clicking it, the window goes into zombie mood, and doesnt answer. 

Repairing the MTP "pipeline" could be as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling the device in the Device Manager: to do this, first force the Sansa to try MTP mode exclusively, by selecting Settings > USB Mode > MTP on the machine, and plugging in.

Open the Device manager, and look for the wee yellow triangle of doom! Uninstall the driver, reboot, and plug in the Sansa again.

Again, not possible because of the inability to succesfully start the device... 

The three remaining steps are:

(1) Reinstall / upgrade to Windows Media Player 11,

(2) Look for the MTP Porting Kit from Microsoft, and install,

(3) Look in the search box here for details regarding fixup.zip, a little handy program that seems to help in many cases.

Let us know how it goes!

Bob :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 09-19-2008 01:32 PM 

is there anything to do, is there a program that just puts an atomic bomb on the device and cleans it completely? My fate and sanity is your hands...

Ps: Thanks for trying to help me out, i really appreciate it!:smileyvery-happy: 

Emil-dk

no one can help me?:smileysad:
SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

[ Edited ]

You buried your question in the quoted part.

Nuking should be easy. 

You can put the unit in MSC mode, connect it, right-click on each drive and Format.... to FAT32 (not Quickformat). 

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 10-10-2008 11:14 PM
cardsfan31

c1u31355 wrote:

You buried your question in the quoted part.

Nuking should be easy. 

You can put the unit in MSC mode, connect it, right-click on each drive and Format.... to FAT32 (not Quickformat). 

Message Edited by c1u31355 on 10-10-2008 11:14 PM

I am having the same problem as Emil.  The problem is, the unit (e280v2) won't even start up so I can't switch it to MSC mode. 

It gives the "no enough space..." error, then shuts down.  While connected to my computer, it takes an extremely long time before the two drives even show up under my computer and both of them are just generic drives.  Right-clicking and selecting Format does absolutely nothing as it does not recognize the device as being anything.

Nothing I've read on these forums seems to work in my, and I'm assuming Emil's, case.  No luck with chkdsk, format, or any other option I've seen.  I use Windows XP and do not care to (nor think I should have to) obtain a copy of Ubuntu to fix this problem.  I'm thinking about just chucking it and buying an iPod.  It's not worth the hassle anymore.

SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

It might be something as simple as a bad cord with an intermittent connection. Then again, it might be completely #$*&(*W&%$. 

But if your computer is recognizing two generic drives--which suggests it's in MSC mode--what do you find by exploring them?

And have you tried forcing it into MSC mode and reinstalling the firmware as shown here?

SanDisk Guru
neutron_bob

[ Edited ]

First and foremost, the v2 Sansa has a different processor than the v1, and it needs no "recovery mode" as part of this difference.  Recovery mode "exposes" the reserved area of memory for repairs to the firmware, or the bootloader.

On your v2, the processor looks at the root directory on startup.  If there's a firmware binary in there, it will swap this file for its existing file, just like a hermit crab donning a new shell.

The database fault you are encountering is a sign of a corrupted music file causing the database refresh operation to halt.

No worries!  You can manually enter MSC mode, run chkdsk, and even the nuclear option, a device format, if you wish.

Let's start with the simplest.  Start with the v2 family device off (Yes, this will work for the Fuze or Clip too, one of the advantages of the new device family).  Slide the HOLD switch to the orange position on the e200v2, to the right. 

On your computer, press [Windows key] + E and open a Windows explorer window, or use "My Computer".

Back to the v2: hold the center button down while connecting to the PC.  In a few seconds, voila!  Your device will be visible as E: SANSA E200P.

Okay, I know the salty dogs out there are thinking, "Bob listed the wrong button again!" but I'll let you in on a secret: the << and center button will both work, with the new v2.  I prefer the center button on the v2, since it's the same with the Fuze and Clip.  The e200v1 is different, and forcing MSC mode involves the << button only.

Now, why not try a simple fix of the music files in the hope of getting it running.

Press the [Windows key] + R to get the Run box open.  Enter cmd and you'll get an MSDOS command line box.  Enter chkdsk E: /f where E: is the drive letter for the internal memory E200P shows up with.  The /f toggle tells the utility to fix the errors found.  Tell it to discard (don't save) the garbage found.

Turn the HOLD switch back, and disconnect.  See if your Sansa boots and runs normally.

What happened then?  If the wee beastie is still being troublesome, let's go to step two, but be forewarned, this method will erase all media from your Sansa, and it will have to be reloaded.  Plug in again in MSC mode as above.

In the Windows explorer box, right click on the Sansa, select Format, and DO NOT use the Quick Format option.  Select FAT32.  This is the nuclear option.  Unplug, reset the HOLD switch, and you should have a "naked" Sansa, ready to go.

Let's take advantage of a few things at this point.  Go to Settings > Info.  If your trusty e200v2 has firmware earlier than 03.01.16, update to this latest version via the thread here.  If you have a Fuze or Clip, the firmware is available for each in their respective forums.  The v2's earliest firmware, version 03.01.11, had issues with the database refresh hanging.  Worse than that, it had no USB mode option in the Settings menu.

Installing the firmware is as simple as unzipping the file, dragging the e200pa.bin file into the root directory, and unplugging.  The firmware will install automatically.

As a footnote, the Sansa works best with the memory formatted with 32KB clusters for the file allocation table.  After all is said and done, there's an atomic method for this too.  On the e200: Settings > Format > Yes.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 10-19-2008 01:57 PM