Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
thedarkhorse

e280 - frozen "Bad Track"

hi, my dad has an e280 v1. He already had a bunch of music on it but wanted some more, his laptop broke so all I have is my mac to transfer music.  I used msc mode to transfer some music but it wasn't showing up under artist or album even though I put the music in proper folders, the newly added music would only show up if you search by song.  So I decided to update the firmware to see if that would help, I manually updated to 01.02.24 and the music still didn't show up under artist or album, but now if you play all music, when it gets to the second song an error message comes up saying "Bad Track" and it freezes the player.  I know how to reset it but as soon as it gets to the second song in play all, the player says "bad track" and locks up.  if I navigate to "songs" and select one and play with shuffle on it will still say bad track for half the tracks but it won't freeze.  All the wma's are doing it and all the newly added mp3's are doing it.
SanDisk Guru
TheMarkster

Re: e280 - frozen "Bad Track"

thedarkhorse wrote:
hi, my dad has an e280 v1. He already had a bunch of music on it but wanted some more, his laptop broke so all I have is my mac to transfer music.  I used msc mode to transfer some music but it wasn't showing up under artist or album even though I put the music in proper folders, the newly added music would only show up if you search by song.  So I decided to update the firmware to see if that would help, I manually updated to 01.02.24 and the music still didn't show up under artist or album, but now if you play all music, when it gets to the second song an error message comes up saying "Bad Track" and it freezes the player.  I know how to reset it but as soon as it gets to the second song in play all, the player says "bad track" and locks up.  if I navigate to "songs" and select one and play with shuffle on it will still say bad track for half the tracks but it won't freeze.  All the wma's are doing it and all the newly added mp3's are doing it.

You can try formatting.

BUT, DO NOT FORMAT THE PLAYER WITH THE MAC!!!

Formatting on the MAC will quite possibly damage the player.

Follow these instructions in order to have the player format itself.

First, if you haven't already done so, backup the music files that are already on the player, if you can.

Turn the player off.

Slide the HOLD switch to the locked position towards the headphone jack.

Press and hold the RECORD button while connecting the player to your computer.

Release the RECORD button once the player says welcome to recovery mode.

You are now connected in recovery mode.

FOR THOSE OF YOU KNUCKLEHEADS WHO ARE READING THIS AND WHO ARE SAYING, COOL SINCE I DON'T HAVE A MAC I CAN GO AHEAD AND FORMAT THE 16MB-FORMAT VOLUME, THINK AGAIN.  DO NOT FORMAT THE 16MB-FORMAT VOLUME!  PERIOD!  NOT!

I don't know much about MAC's, but somewhere on the MAC you will now have a new removable drive labeled 16MB-FORMAT.  Open this drive and create a new folder in it called sansa.fmt (actually anything.fmt might work, but now is not the time to experiment).  Take whatever steps are needed to unmount or eject the drive in the MAC O/S.  Slide the HOLD switch back to the unlocked position and unplug the player from the computer.

Upon detecting that you have unplugged it the player will scan for a new file or folder named sansa.fmt in the recovery partition's root directory.  If it finds this file or folder it will take that as a command to format itself.  The distinction here is that you are not formatting the player.  You are telling the player to format itself.

After formatting itself the player will then proceed to reboot itself.  You can now add some files to the player and hopefully they will play okay.  Try a few of the files you know weren't playing before.  If they don't play still, it could be they are simply corrupted and need to be deleted.  You should also check your ID3 tags.  Not sure what MAC software is out for doing this.  Try using ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 as your ID3 format, if possible.

thedarkhorse

[ Edited ]

thanks for the info, the player is dead right now so Im gonna fully charge it before reformatting.  

I don't think there's anything wrong with the id3 tags, they show up in itunes properly as id3 2.3, and it was happening to all of the new mp3's not just some of them.  

Hopefully the reformat fixes it though. 

Message Edited by thedarkhorse on 08-29-2008 05:08 PM
SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

There are ID3v2.3 tags in UTF, which can cause problems,  and there are ID3v2.3  tags in ISO-8859-1, which is what the Sansa likes.

Get mp3tag

and go into Tools/Options/Tags/Mpegs and set Write to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Then highlight all the files and Save the tags.  

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
SanDisk User
H4ll3igh

.....as long as you switch the file system to "MS-DOS" instead of "Macintosh OS Extended(Journaled)", which is what it defaults to, formatting on a Mac shouldn't hurt the player.
Adopt one today!