SanDisk Guru
AutobahnSHO

What to do if your Sansa Won't Connect to the Computer ! ! ! !

[ Edited ]

IF you're having problems connecting your Sansa to your Computer, try the following first:

1- Read the User's Manual! You can find it in the FAQ above.

2- Most people have the best success by making sure the Sansa is turned on and ready to use Before plugging it into the computer.  

3- e200s seem to not like USB Hubs or USB Extension cables. Try to plug it directly to a USB port.

4- The Front USB ports on Desktop Computers sometimes don't provide as good a connection as the rear ports. Try a rear port.

5- Try a different USB port. Always wait about 10seconds between unplugging it and plugging it back in to give Windows time to register what's going on. Sometimes jut plugging it into the same port again works.

6- For all of these steps, keep the cable connected to the Sansa and unplug the USB end from the computer.

7- Install Windows Media Player 10 or above. This software has the drivers for the MTP mode to work.

8- If MTP mode doesn't work, try MSC mode. On the Sansa, go to Settings -> USB Mode -> MSC.  If your e200 Sansa doesn't have this option, it's a "version 2" player. You'll need to see the FAQ and update the firmware or "force" the player to use MSC mode.

9- On MACs, you should use MSC mode- the Sansa will appear as a portable harddrive or USB "Thumbdrive." You can drag and drop music, but will not be able to put videos on, and SHOULD NOT format the Sansa. Macs use a different disk format than the Sansa was designed for.

10- In MSC mode, when the Sansa is connected, you will see TWO disk drives on your computer. One is the Sansa, the other is the MicroSD slot, whether you have a MicroSD card in it or not.

11- If you connect and the Sansa says charging or connected and it doesn't show up as a diskdrive, go to Control Panel -> (Hardware on Win XP) -> Device Manager -> and look for a yellow triangle with an exclamation point, under USB.  Right-click, click Uninstall. After it's finished, unplug the Sansa and try the same USB port again.

12- If #11 doesn't work, do #11 again to Uninstall the Sansa, unplug the Sansa, and restart the computer and THEN try to plug the Sansa into the SAME USB port.

13- If all else fails, your cable might be bad. Get a new one! (Or maybe take your mp3 player to an electronics store and see if they'll let you plug your Sansa into one of their computers with THEIR cable?!)

FYI

Windows computers think of each USB port as a separate connection point. The first time you plug a device into a USB port, the computer installs a driver. If you unplug that device and plug it into a Different USB port, the computer installs a driver for the device for THAT port, too. If you were to plug a Different Sansa (such as an e250 vs. e250R or an e280) into that same port, it installs ANOTHER driver, since it's a different type of device. (To the computer.)

So to make life easier, use the same USB port each time, or expect to wait a few seconds when you use another USB port..

Message Edited by AutobahnSHO on 01-01-2009 09:53 AM
-Will
-One e260, one e260v2, an e250R, Three e250s. www.rockbox.org
Two Clips.
SanDisk Guru
gwk1967

Re: Won't Connect to the Computer/ USB Problems

If I could make a suggestion (and if it's possible to edit topic titles), this should be called "WHAT TO DO WHEN...".

As it is, it sounds like you had a problem yourself.

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

[ Edited ]

gwk1967 wrote:

If I could make a suggestion (and if it's possible to edit topic titles), this should be called "WHAT TO DO WHEN...".

As it is, it sounds like you had a problem yourself.

I think Will is tired of reading the plethora of vitually identical posts we've been getting here lately all involving the same issue and is reacting to that.

FAQ board - 3

e 200 board - 16

Fuze Board - 11

This are from just the past 2 weeks and I might have even missed a few! My eyes got buggy, so I didn't even make it to the Clip board.

All of them stem around people not being able to 'connect' their player to their computer, or computer 'not recognizing' the player.

I agree that maybe Will's helpful post might be beneficial if 'stickied' or added to the FAQ, but even that might not help as the majority of newbies do not look at either. They don't want to seem to take the time to 'find' an answer, even though it would certainly take less time than posting a question and waiting for somebody to reply.

I only have 1 additional suggestion or idea for modification to the listing . . .

READ THE USER'S GUIDE should be #1!

EDIT: I just took a 2nd look and if this were added the list would total up to 13 (bad juju). Will, you're going to have to come up with another one. :smileywink:

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 12-31-2008 01:10 PM
SanDisk Guru
AutobahnSHO

meh I'm not superstitious. I added your suggestion though.

Yes I occasionally have problems connecting- but I just unplug the cable, wait, and plug it back in.

Otherwise I have used mine on XP or Vista without hardly any issues.

-Will
-One e260, one e260v2, an e250R, Three e250s. www.rockbox.org
Two Clips.
SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Why don't you also post it in the Frequently Asked Questions and Suggested Stickies board. This is one post that deserves to be there.
tiredbrandon

Re: What to do if your Sansa Won't Connect to the Computer ! ! ! !

so i was having trouble connecting the fuze to my computer and i took the advice to switch to msc mode and viola it connected, then i opened the music folder and its empty... any advice? the drive is full but i cant find the files from my comp..
SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

The computer can read EITHER the music transferred in MSC mode OR music transferred in MTP. Not both at once. Since you switched modes, the music from the other mode is invisible.

The Sansa itself just looks for mp3s everywhere, no matter how they were transferred. 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
SanDisk Guru
gwk1967

Files copied in MSC mode won't be visible in MTP mode, and vice versa.
vcjoshi88

ihave purched sansa e200  but it doesnt recongnisd by cmp ihave also wmp11 version what shoud i do plz help me

thank u

SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

Follow the steps in the first post in this thread.
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers