SansaSansaSansa

The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect

Been using a Sansa E260 player now for about a year or little longer. No real problems, except for now: 

I tried to upgrade FW with player too fully loaded. Then after that I was not able to 'see' my music files anymore. When I hook up under MSC to XP, I see the files. I remove them except for one which contains a lot of garbled directories and can not be removed ("Cannot read from the source file or disk" message appears). I tried to do Filechk and it reports corruption, but the tool is not able to repair it. After this I look and all my files are back on the system!!!! I remove them again, except from the corrupt directory. I do a format, from the player, from the context menu when rightclicking the palyer in My Computer as well as with the good old FORMAT command under the cmd window. All are reporting good progress but at the end they are reporting that they find an error ("Windows can not complete the format"). Nothing changed, except that every time I do a format the disk is full again.

I'm dead. Searched this forum, the internet and now am thinking of just throwing the device away and buying an Ipod....

Any suggestions? No kidding, I really like this player sofar...

Menno

p.s.: Before removing all files except the rotten directory, disk is reported full (almost 4GB). After removing all those files, except for 140 MB, disk is reported empty. When I rightclick the rotten directory itself and do properties it reports a full disk of 54.5 GB. Not bad for a directory on a 4GB memory module which is only used for 140 MB......

Menno
SansaSansaSansa

Re: The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect

By the road, FW version is 1.02.24E. I reinstalled the FW upgrader, It reported that there was no FW upgrade?

Menno

Menno
SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

ChkDsk is supposed to fix unreadable files. You can also highlight the Sansa in My Computer, right-click, Properties/Tools/Error Checking, which does the same thing as Chkdsk (and, unfortunately, wile probably give you the same results.).

I have no idea if it will work, but if you can get to USB Mode in Settings,  how about switching to MTP and formatting through Windows Media Player? 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
SanDisk Guru
TheMarkster

When you say Filechk do you mean chkdsk or is Filechk some other disk check utility?  If you're using chkdsk, then you need to apply the /f argument to enable it to fix the errors it finds.  Example:

chkdsk h: /f  (where h: is the drive letter assigned to the Sansa)

You can also try to get the player to format itself by dropping a blank empty file named sansa.fmt onto the root directory of the removable 16 MB partition you see in Windows after connecting the player in Recovery Mode. 

SansaSansaSansa

SansaGuru,

thanks for your quick reply. I connected the device in MTP mode and I can indeed access it via WMP. How do I format the player via WMP? Neither under properties nor under Advanced do I see this possibility... Cleaning up wia WMP does not solve the problem. The device goes through the steps well, but there is no difference.

Also, TheMarkster,

I did indeed chkdsk /f.  As for your other suggestion, this sounds interesting, but, how do I connect the player in Recovery Mode?????

Thanks,

Menno

Menno
SansaSansaSansa

I found out how to connect the player in recovery mode, added the empty file, disconnected the player. The player formatted, no errors. I reconnected and the problem was still there. No difference. I can not access my music, the memory is full, this one directory completely corrupted, reporting 50+ GB contents.

Thanks all, guess that this is it...

Menno

Menno
SanDisk Guru
TheMarkster

Have you tried reloading the firmware in recovery mode?
SanDisk Guru
neutron_bob

The Markster has an excellent point! 

Upgrading the firmware via recovery mode avoids the need for temporary storage of the firmware files in memory.  When recovery mode is enacted, the sansa allows direct access to the reserved partition in memory reserved for the boot loader and firmware.

The v1 player's processor differences can sometimes be an advantage.

I'd recommend deleting a few files that aren't often played, however, since it's always a good idea to have a few bytes of unused memory.  It also leaves you with the convenience of some available memory for that cool new album.

If space becomes an issue, remember that the MicroSD card is excellent for additional storage.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: