MojoPatrol
Accepted Solution

Sansa E280 Unable to Format Drive. Need HELP!

Hey ho Sansa Users,

So! Here is my dilemma. I've had my Sansa for going on 2 1/2 years. Up till now, no problems. Recently though I'd been starting to get some funky things happening, the sound turning up randomly on its own or the song randomly skipping, no big deal though, only happened once in a blue moon. Now as of about a couple of weeks ago, for some strange reason, downloaded some tracks onto my player as per usual and after playing just fine a few times, they started getting corrupted. Aka. The sound would cut out in the headphones and then slowly come back through static, or the song would stop playing altogether and there would be a high pitched siren start sounding in my headphones. I had some troubles with my Sansa before and the guy I talked to said to format the hard drive. So, I've tried to format the hard drive, but it says Unable to complete the format. Plus for some reason the disk space is showing the player as being empty, but when I look through the hard-disk (in windows navigator) there are still like 50 active files that I've deleted (or attempted to delete) like 7 times, and everytime they keep reappearing. I've updated all my firmware but it still doesn't seem to work or let me clear the drive.

Thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mojo

I consider myself a nearsighted visionary
SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

Re: Sansa E280 Unable to Format Drive. Need HELP!

Sounds like you have some seriously corrupted files.

Make sure (under Settings/USB Mode) that you are in MSC.

Try ChkDsk

If that doesn't work, then try formatting again and keep an eye on each step. When to you get the "unable to format" message? 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
SanDisk Fanatic
NissanSkyline

im not sure if this works but try to take out the battery. also, the format settings might be wrong.
MojoPatrol

Hey C1,

I Tried your solution and it worked! Thank you for your help, you truly are a Sansa Guru!

Cheers!

Mojo

I consider myself a nearsighted visionary
augrock

Did youy ever solve your problem? there is quick and regular format. i pressed regular and it took everything off the sansae280

and the tehnical support at SanDisk said ----The Formatting process will clean up the system of the Sansa. Once this is done "ALL" of the contents of the Sansa will be deleted. We can no longer recover those files that are deleted.
So where do i find the formatting the sansa i cant find it. as long as i half to throw my player away i will try to format it again.

SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

Augrock, put the Sansa in MSC mode, connect, right-click, Format....FAT32, regular (not Quick). If you've done that, and your files are gone, you've done what Format can do.

There are two kind of E2xx unit, v1 and v2. V1 can only be formatted from the computer. V2 can be formatted from the unit itself. Apparently you have a v1. You can check by looking in Settings/Firmware Info, and if the version begins with 1.x it's a v1, 3.x is a v2. 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
MikeR1209

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm having a similar problem with my e280 - following your instructions, I put the player in Recovery mode, and I install the v18 firmware and the sansa.fmt file.  The player tells me that the image write completes, but the PC will not recognize the player and the "Free 6mb message still appears when I start the player in normal mode.

If I install the v24 firmware and the sansa.fmt file, the player reads/writes the bootloader, and then tells me that it is reading and writing the main image.  Problem is, it writes the main image until it runs out of battery.  When I plug the player in, the same "Music Database too large. Free up 6mb" message that started me down the road on these forums returns. Any suggestions?

Just to be clear - I followed the instructions below, exactly, with no success.

TheMarkster wrote:

Applies to v1 model only...

1) Download this file: http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/e200/e200v101.02.24a.zip

2) Extract the contents to a folder where you'll be able to find them later

3) Turn off player

4) Push HOLD button to locked position (towards headphone jack)

5) Press and hold the RECORD button

6) Connect to PC

7) When you see MSD 2.0 Connected or some such, you can let go of the RECORD button

8) Open My Computer

9) Locate and open 16MB-FORMAT drive.

10) Drag and drop the files you extracted in Step 2 above to the root directory of 16MB-FORMAT

11) Create a new folder in 16MB-FORMAT's root directory and name it sansa.fmt

12) Use Safely Remove Hardware Icon in system tray or right-click on 16MB-FORMAT and select Eject.

13) Disconnect from PC

14) Cross fingers and whisper a prayer to the gods of digital audio players

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORMAT THE 16MB-FORMAT DRIVE!!

With the later set of firmware, the player seems to freeze in write mode - I left it go for several hours with no completion or success.
Message Edited by MikeR1209 on 12-14-2009 11:26 PM
SanDisk Guru
Black-Rectangle

Try just installing the firmware again, and don't do the sansa.fmt step.  Disconnect, keep hope alive. 

Then connect it in MSC mode--NOT RECOVERY MODE--and Format the Sansa E200 drive from Windows, in FAT32. 

MikeR1209

Followed your instructions, Black-Rectangle, and thanks for the suggestion.  The system seems to hang while writing the system to the disk.  The blue ring light turns on, and the system just stays in recovery mode.

Occasionally, I will restart the player, and the Music landing screen will appear.  However, none of the front panel buttons respond to presses, and after a little while, the same "DB too big" message reappears, and then the screen displays a repeating pattern or goes blank.

Sigh.  Now it's time for true confessions.  I did attempt to format the 16mb drive at one time.  The format could not be completed, however.  When I examine the drive under XP disk management, the Computer Management Console tells me that the drive is an E250 (it's an e280 player), and the FAT is 12 or 15 bit, (I don't remember).  The disk management console reports the partition as healthy, and XP sees the drive and the files I copy onto it.

Is it that the FAT is corrupted?  Can I forcefeed a blank table onto the system somehow, or did my failed (and ill-advised) attempt at a windows format destroy the drive somehow?

This little toy is becoming a hobby-puzzle.  Let me know of any other ideas, please.

SanDisk Guru
Black-Rectangle

Depending on how much effort you want to expend, there's this:

http://fixmysansa.blogspot.com/