Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
cobollives
Accepted Solution

Sansa 280 Not Recognized as a Portable Device

Background Information:  Sansa 280e with firmware version 01.024.24A; Windows Vista OS, service pack 2; MSC mode; Windows Media Player version 11.0.6002.18111.

My computer only recognizes the Sansa player only when it is connected in MSC mode.  When connected in MTP the device does not appear in the Computer widow.  However, when it is connected in MSC mode, a mass storage icon labeled Removable Disk (F:smileyhappy: soon appears next to DVD RW Drive (E:smileyhappy: labeled and a couple seconds later a Removable Disk (G:smileyhappy: labeled icon appears next to the Removable Disk (F:smileyhappy: labeled icon.  An Autoplay window pops up followed by a popup window indicating that "There is not kids in the drive ...".  I have tested other portable devices and all appear as a portable device.  It would seem to me that my Sansa player has lost its identity.

When I drag a playlist to the sync pane in Windows Media Player (WMP) and click the sync button the files do copy to the device.  Everything appears normal on the player.  The music appears as songs, but the nothing appears in the Playlist other than the Go List.  I have formatted the device, both on the Computer window and using the hold/record method, after which I reinstalled the firmware.

I would appreciate help that anyone can provide in resolving this issue.

SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

Re: Sansa 280 Not Recognized as a Portable Device

Connect in MTP mode, go into Device Manager (I don't know the route in Vista, but via Control Panel), look for a yellow triangle and Uninstall. Disconnect, reconnect. Vista should get the driver out of Windows Media Player for it.

If not, click the Answers link in my sig and look for the connection-problem FAQ. There are some other tricks listed there. 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
cobollives

I got enough information to do some more study.  It appears that the drivers for both MSC and MTP are up-to-date.  Both were manually uninstalled and reinstalled in using Device Manager.  In MTP mode in the General Tab, a message in the Device Status box says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".  This is way beyond my expertise as far as computers are concerned (being a retired business applications programmer/analyst).

I really like this music player (and more) and I think it the device is way too young to retire.  I would appreciate it if others experienced this problem in the past and, if so, could post their solution.   Thanks!

SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

Code 10:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/192/related/1/sno/0

cobollives

This morning I took a look at the problem again. I went into device manager and uninstalled the driver in MTP mode. I then reinstalled it manually with the driver selected from a list. Driver selection was easy since there was only one on the list. It installed successfully! When trying to update the driver automatically, Vista kept saying that the driver installed was current. What I think happened was that the driver installed became corrupted and the only way to replace it was to force Vista to reinstall it, which then resolved the problem. Just my guess. Sorry but I know just enough about systems software to be dangerous. But I did learn a lot about during this experience.

In any case, under MPT mode the computer recognizes the Sansa player as a portable device! However, in WMP there were no music files recognized. I think that WMP table needs updating since I sync'ed the playlists and it did restore them to its table where that data is stored. It is a matter of deciding whether or not to reformat the device in MSC mode and start over and then switch back into MTP and sync the albums, playlist, etc., in WMP. And then there are worries that something else may go wrong, since WPM recognizes two Sansa e280 players. One works and the other is a dummy. Also, that strange thing of two mass storage devices in MSC mode is still displayed in the Computer (aka My Computer in Win XP) window (see original post). So not all of my fears are unfounded as other strange things continue. For now, I am going to leave the device alone and reformat and start over when I feel compelled to do it.

I appreciate the help provided. It got me started lookng in the right direction. Thanks again!

SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

Not so strange.

It's normal for the Sansa to be seen as two devices. One is the internal memory. The other is the slot for the microSD card. Since yours is probably empty, that's why it's coming up like a dummy device.

Also, what music your computer sees depends on how it was transferred. It can only see music sent via MSC in MSC mode, only via MTP in MTP mode. Once the music is on the player, the player finds it all, but your computer will still only see one mode at a time. 

challey

I appear to have the same problem (Vista does not recognize m 280 in MTP)

I went to Device Manager as indicated in this thread and uninstalled the MTP device driver. When I reconnected my e280, Vista recognized that there was a new MTP device and began a search for the appropriate driver. It apparently found the driver but is not able to install it - the error message says something like "device loading failed - contact the manufacturer for further information".

I am not the most copmpter-savvy person and my Sansa has always been a challange. When I plug it in using the MSC mode, Vista recognizes the device and shows it (along with a memory card). In spite of the player being completely filled, there are no files listed in any of the folders, so I am unable to delete any songs and since memory is full, I can't add any either. When I attempt to load the newer firmware, I get an error message telling me that there is not enough free memory and to delete some files - which I can't do.

If I try to use WMP. the device is not recognized (in either MSC or MTP), so that's not an avenue to delete/add files either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Challey

SanDisk Guru
c1u31355

Your computer only sees one USB mode at a time. Since you apparently transferred the files in MTP, your computer can't see them in MSC.

As in the solution above, uninstall the MTP driver again and instead of letting Vista do it automatically, choose  Select Driver from a List.

The MTP driver is in Windows Media Player. You can also try an upgrade of Windows Media Player (Vista won't let you uninstall and reinstall it). 

You can also see if support.Microsoft.com offers something called an MTP Porting Kit for Vista. That might help.

There are more connection solutions under Answers in my signature. 

The "not enough memory" message can also mean a corrupt file on your Sansa. Connect it in MSC, Right-click on it, Properties, Tools (it's a tab) and Error-checking. Check the option to automatically fix errors, and if it finds a bad file and asks you if you want to save it, don't save it. 

masterbland

I am having the same problem that my e280 is not being recognised.

I looked at Device Manager and it said "The device cannot start (Code 10) I then uninstalled the driver reconnected the player to the USB. Vista then tried to automatically install the device driver however I get a message saying "Device driver software was not successfully installed"

So I tried as suggested to uninstall the driver and manually selecting a driver to install from the list. However when I uninstall the driver the Portable Devices disappers from the Device Manager so I can't access the MTP Device to update the driver. Not sure how to update the driver using another screen.

I tried to Update the driver without uninstalling first by clicking - Update Driver - Browse my computer for driver software - Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer - selecting MTP Device - Next. I then get the message "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it. The device cannot start (Code 10)

I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

masterbland wrote:

I am having the same problem that my e280 is not being recognised.

I looked at Device Manager and it said "The device cannot start (Code 10) I then uninstalled the driver reconnected the player to the USB. Vista then tried to automatically install the device driver however I get a message saying "Device driver software was not successfully installed"

You might find some help/answers here:

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?qid=1342308&query=code+10+vista+mtp+device&catalog=...