bobinyelm

Identifying e250 Version?

I read several search threads on determining what version I have,  but they say to ignore the back cover data (Mine has a large silver "R" embossed above the "CE" symbol at the lower right and also says "e250V2" under that symbol) and note what software version shows on start-up.

Only problem is that when I boot the device up (which takes 10sec flat from button push to final screen display), no version is noted. I read a fast boot-up means a V2 device (except I don't know what "Fast" is as measured in seconds.).

I plugged my device into my computer USB and the computer (Win XP) recognized it as a "Sansa e250" but no version was enunciated. I used Explorer and looked at the files and found it had:

1) 18 Albums pre-loaded under "Album" folder

2) 18 Artists listed uner "Music"

3) 14 photos of various still lifes under "Photo"

4) "FM" and "Voice" under the "Record"

5) "Rhapsody" under "Service"

6) An AVI demo under "Video"

7) Nothing in a file "DevIcon"

Buy.com said the unit has an FM tuner for listening and recording, but so far I have not figured out how to access the tuner and listen to FM broadcasts. 

Does that help identify my Sansa?

Where WOULD I see the software Version? I read that 1XXX means a V-1 machine, and a 3XXX means a V2 machine, but where does one see these numbers?

I bought mine from Buy.com, and like everyone elses, it came w/ No CD or Manual, and only a USB cord and earbuds.

I am also looking for the best (Free) way to Rip/Conver Music CDs to MP3 format so I can load them onto the Sansa if anyone can suggest it.

I understand after conversion to MP3, one needs only to drag-and-drop to the Sansa (Which file does one drop songs into: Albums, or Music?

Sorry for asking such elementary and basic questions, but I have never used an MP3 player before (I know-I didn't have to admit that-it's obvious.) 

BTW, here is the link to the Buy.com description:

http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-sansa-e250-2gb-mp3-player-fm-tuner-fm-on-the-fly-recording/q/loc/111... 

Thanks,

Bob 

SanDisk Guru
gwk1967

Re: Identifying e250 Version?

[ Edited ]
The "R" on the back likely indicates it's a refurbished device. If it were a Rhapsody model, it would have a second splash screen (one that said "Sandisk", then another that said "Sansa Rhapsody" ). To find the firmware version, go to Settings>Info and check the "Version" entry.
Message Edited by gwk1967 on 05-09-2009 03:33 PM
SanDisk Guru
neutron_bob

There are several quick methods to determine the model:

Device off, only the v2 has a continuous knurl on the scroll wheel.  I haven't seen a v1 with this, the v1 has groups of three ribs across the circumference.

Turn her on, and watch the splash screen.  The v2 shows a SanDisk logo with a reflection below it, plus a blue "sansa" logo below that.

The v1 shows the traditional SanDisk logo with the "rays" emblem to the right.

The Rhapsody version shows this logo, then the Rhapsody logo.

If you then go to Settings > Info, the version of the firmware will tell you the version of the device.  "01" is a v1, "03" is a v2, looking at the first digits.

If you plug in using MTP mode, open Windows Explorer and right click on the Sansa, selecting Properties.  The firmware version will list here.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

SanDisk Guru
AutobahnSHO

neutron_bob wrote:

Device off, only the v2 has a continuous knurl on the scroll wheel.  I haven't seen a v1 with this, the v1 has groups of three ribs across the circumference.

Sorry, no cookie for you!

ALL of my V1s have continuous "Knurl" (bumps) all around the wheel.  Of course, they're ALL from refurbished sources.

-Will
-One e260, one e260v2, an e250R, Three e250s. www.rockbox.org
Two Clips.
microsansa

It was in early 2007 when the scroll wheel of the e200 received a facelift, so there are e200v1s with the same wheel as the later version 2s.  The earlier wheel was phased out.

It makes sense that if the faceplate and wheel are replaced in the refurbishing process, you'll likely see the v2 type wheel on them.

µsansa

SanDisk Fanatic
miltst

bobinyelm wrote:

(Mine has a large silver "R" embossed above the "CE" symbol at the lower right and also says "e250V2" under that symbol)

Very likely that "R" is just a sticker and you can peel it off quite easily. All the refurbished Sansa players I've bought had that R sticker and they soon slipped off by themselves from sliding in/out of pockets and other handling.