robert91831

How to better organize my music?

Greetings,
I've got 1400+ songs on my Sansa e200 internal & external memory. In windows explorer I drug files organized in folders from my computer to the Sansa, the folders each are named by artist with a folder or two like "various Jazz artists", etc.
My problem is that the Sansa doesn't display "folders" when I want to find a song I have to scroll trough 1400+ song titles or if I want to hear a song from a particular artist I select the artist's name on my Sansa and then my only option is to select "play all" and it starts "playing all", I never have the option of selecting a particular song. There must be a better way of organizing music, any suggestions?
SanDisk Guru
Enigma

Re: How to better organize my music?

do some research on id3 tags, should solve your dilema, its how the player recognizes music.

It might take a while to update your entire librarby, took me 3 days (on and off for a couple hours each day) for abotu 1500 tracks. But well worth it, very well worth it.
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

Thanks,
I did go through all of my music tags to try to clean up the names of the artists, and to be consistant, for example I had "The Beatles", "Beatles", & "BEATLES", so I changed them all to "Beatles". So now I've got 35 songs in the same place but if I want to hear a particular song I've got no list displayed, just "play all".

Where can I find info on id3???
SanDisk Guru
Enigma

grantsan

Hi: I'm just passing thru, still searching for an MP3 player i can live with. Already returned two as user-hostile, i have an e280 in front of me. I'm also trying to "organize" my files. Is there some reason an mp3 player can't recognize the concept of "folder"? I am somewhat resistant to learning about "ID3 tags" or some other "special" way of doing what folders were inverted to do, and do quite well.

To make matters worse for this product as a candidate for "grant's mp3 player", i am using W2000 and the box says W/XP minimum - so what will i miss? Also i am on dialup (no highspeed available here) so DLing that 86 Mb "media converter" is gonna take longer than the MTBF of the phone line. And if it won't run on W2000, i'll just be ticked off. Again i ask, is there some reason a smart li'l box like the e280 can't recognize and display a fercrissakes JPG file?

Any guidance appreciated. I still have the bill, so this is not beyond recall. I do like the controls on the e280, they beat RCA's LYRA hands-down. I just don't want to scroll thru 10,000 files to find the one i want to play. Oh - did someone say "playlist"? Ooooh, i dunno, that's pretty sophisticated, W2000 doesn't support that feature, really, i'm expecting too much from an o/s that's only been doing multimedia for what, 12 years now? Has anyone managed to crack the code to build your own playlist? Is it just an XML file in WPL format?

Sorry if i seem jaded. I've been developing software for 30+ years, and now that i'm retired and want to /use/ some, it just seems to have gotten weird.

cheers - grant
SanDisk Guru
Enigma

[ Edited ]

grantsan wrote:
Hi: I'm just passing thru, still searching for an MP3 player i can live with. Already returned two as user-hostile, i have an e280 in front of me. I'm also trying to "organize" my files. Is there some reason an mp3 player can't recognize the concept of "folder"? I am somewhat resistant to learning about "ID3 tags" or some other "special" way of doing what folders were inverted to do, and do quite well.

To make matters worse for this product as a candidate for "grant's mp3 player", i am using W2000 and the box says W/XP minimum - so what will i miss? Also i am on dialup (no highspeed available here) so DLing that 86 Mb "media converter" is gonna take longer than the MTBF of the phone line. And if it won't run on W2000, i'll just be ticked off. Again i ask, is there some reason a smart li'l box like the e280 can't recognize and display a fercrissakes JPG file?

Any guidance appreciated. I still have the bill, so this is not beyond recall. I do like the controls on the e280, they beat RCA's LYRA hands-down. I just don't want to scroll thru 10,000 files to find the one i want to play. Oh - did someone say "playlist"? Ooooh, i dunno, that's pretty sophisticated, W2000 doesn't support that feature, really, i'm expecting too much from an o/s that's only been doing multimedia for what, 12 years now? Has anyone managed to crack the code to build your own playlist? Is it just an XML file in WPL format?

Sorry if i seem jaded. I've been developing software for 30+ years, and now that i'm retired and want to /use/ some, it just seems to have gotten weird.

cheers - grant

time to update my friend =P.

Id3 tags is the new thing, it can do anything foldertree's can and more. ALthough it would be nifty to have the option to switch b/w both (you can with rockbox installed on v1 e200's) the player does not give this option.

Your converter should be on the CD that came with the player, its only needed for pictures and video (both of which are intolerable on the e200 in my opinion) i cant stare at a 1 inch screen for silly things like that.

and the player should work in MSC mode on your 2k machine. You will lose out on DRM content (rhapsody, napster) and Playlist support under the MTP protocol.

Message Edited by Enigma on 03-07-2008 08:23 AM
Great For Beginners:
How To Videos
FAQ's and Stickies
Any-Video-Converter

There are other programs you might try for playlisting in MSC mode, like Sanse Playlister and  Media Monkey.

No idea whether they will work with Win2K.  I think Winamp can also do some playlisting with the Sansa.

ID3 tags give you a much more flexible database than file-and-folder. Folders were invented for search by only one paramater--filename--and ID3 tags can search by half-a-dozen. It would be nice if the folder option were there, but it's just not essential.

If you can find a v1 Sansa, it will also take Rockbox firmware and you can do file-and-folder.  Look at the back of your unit to see if it says E280 or E280v2.

Windows XP was introduced in 2001. By the time the Sansa appeared it was pretty much the standard OS. And by making the Sansa an MSC unit as well as MTP, SanDIsk did provide some backwards compatibility. I don't work for them, and have criticisms of my own, but, just for curiosity's sake, when you were doing Windows development, did you make everything DOS-compatible too?  Weren't the handful of remaining  DOS users "ticked off" if you didn't?
Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
michael

hi, i have just like the same problem.

i put music on my sans, but its not organised in artists or albums or anything, its just in a file called uknown, but when i plug it in to my computer it reads all the music. im stressing.

if your problem was worked out, could you help me?

thanks

-Michael
SanDisk Fanatic
1shado1

Enigma wrote:

Your converter should be on the CD that came with the player, its only needed for pictures and video (both of which are intolerable on the e200 in my opinion) i cant stare at a 1 inch screen for silly things like that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
v2 players don't come with a CD.  Maybe the OP has a v2.:smileywink:
SanDisk Guru
TheMarkster

[ Edited ]
I manage my ID3 tags using a program called mp3tag. You don't have to go through and edit each file individually with it. You can just highlight the ones you want to change and change the common tags, such as artist, album, genre, all in one go.

There is an older version available on their website that works with Windows 2000. Make sure your tag editor is set in the options menu for ID3v2.3 tags (not ID3v2.4) if you have that option. If not, try ID3v2.

EDIT:  Oh, yeah.  One more thing.  You might need to edit the tags on the computer and then re-transfer them to the player.  I've tried editing tags on the player itself with little or no success in the past.
Message Edited by TheMarkster on 03-12-2008 03:24 AM