zychda

E280 can't change usb mode or put in recovery mode

I just bought a sansa e280.  I opened it up and it had firmware version 03.01.11A installed on it.  I turned it on and I had the following problems.  In the "Settings" menu there is no tab to change the usb mode.  It is currently stuck in mtp mode.  I also cannot get the e280 in recovery mode.  I have put the hold button on, held record, and then powered it up with the power button.  It just tells me to "please unlock hold switch to power on  System Shutdown" and it shuts off.  I have also tryed to get it in recovery mode by putting the hold button on, holding the record button, and then plug in the usb cable; it just powers up normally.  Are these features changed with the version 3 firmware? or is my player a piece.  As far as I know: I can't upgrade the firmware because it is current and the automatic updater won't do it. And I can't get a previous firmware on it because I can't get it into recovery or msc mode.  It is stuck in limbo.  Got any tips?
Thanks
SanDisk Professor
Sansa_e280r

Re: E280 can't change usb mode or put in recovery mode

Try put the hold on then hold << then plug in the USB cable.
TheSansaMan

It is the v2 of the e200 thats why. Does not have a mode selection.
zychda

Yeah, that's what the support from sansa said.  They said that the e280 v2 had the usb mode dissabled.  Does anyone know if the usb mode was dissabled with the firmware, and if the firmware was downgraded to a previous version would the usb mode in settings be enabled again?  Also, how can the firmware be downgraded without putting the player in recovery mode?  I can't get the player in recovery mode (it seems that it was also disabled with the e280 v2).
Thank You for the help!
cBc
SanDisk User
cBc

[ Edited ]
Hello -

I just bought a new e280 today from Costco & am having the exact same issue. So without having USB mode option an longer , what is exacty the point of owning this player now???? Can't go into recovery mode, can't downgrade firmware to allow it to even be used as a USB device. I have been eagerly awaiting owning an e280 ever since buying a refurbed e250 for my wife (which of course works perfectly) I've been researching portable players for weeks now & this one would fit the bill perfectly, but now...
Should I just return it for a refund? DAng, this is frustrating..:smileymad:

Message Edited by cBc on 11-23-2007 12:22 PM
zychda

You couldn't have said it better cBc!  I might as well have an ipod now! Way to go Sandisk well done maybe take away the replaceable battery in your View too.  Oh wait never mind.  I really did like the freedom in the sansa e200 line. Sorry for the rant everyone, still looking for suggestions.
jjcolby

I also just purchased the e280 at Costco today. Yes it does not have a USB choice mode, but when connected to computer you can drag and drop files to the folders in the memory as you would in MSD mode. I tested to see that the files (MP3) were in the device and played OK (pasted into the music folder). Seems to work as an MSD device without any choices in the menu. Check it out before you give up on the e280.
cBc
SanDisk User
cBc

Thanks, but the whole reason I purchased this player was (as advertised/ listed in the manual) USB/MSC mode (to be able to use it as an external driver to carry fles around , along with music stuff)
Kind of like buying a car you see in a catalog that has 4 tires installed, but only getting 3 tires with it when it is delivered.
This really seems like false advertising here by Sansa, no mention anywhere that I can find that they no longer offer USB mode with their e200 series.
Unless some one can help with a solution (I have already emailed Sansa support, but am not holding my breath), looks like I get back in line tomorrow for a refund. I am so disappointed :smileyindifferent:
jjcolby

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I said about the e280. Connect it to a computer, using windows explorer you can see the flash memory as another drive. You can move files to and from the flash drive as you would another drive. You don't have USB choice in the e280 menu, but when connected to a computer it will allow you to move data as a USB drive. I am doing this as I type this reply to you.
cBc
SanDisk User
cBc

Yes, but the V2 version also prevents one from using Rockbox SW on my player (at least for the near future), so only mp3 files can play.
What I'll need to do is return this one & check on fleabay for an older one I can buy. Obviously Sandisk did this upgrade to stop user from being able to do this (use Rockbox to get more out of it, music wise)
So...back to Costco, then off to the aftermarket!:smileywink:

Thanks to the responders!