forrestgump2000

c250 Song order incorrect - alphabetical

Hi all,

I just got a sandisk sensa c250 MP3 player, and I've already run into a bug that is really bothering me.  My MP3s are not left in the original track order from the CDs.   They're in alphabetical order, which is quite ridiculous.

My MP3s are ripped from CD, and there are three properties that *should* make them play in the proper order:
1) The ID3v1.1 tag specifies the track number
2) The file names all begin with the track number.   e.g. "01 Track Title.mp3", "02 Another Title.mp3", etc...
3) The date stamp for the files (since they were ripped in track order)

However, the c250 plays them in alphabetical order.   Why would it do this?   Is there some sort of hidden preference to specify how the songs should be ordered.   I've copied the tracks to the player in MSC mode, as I prefer the device to show up as a mass storage device.

Just for testing purposes, I switched the player to sync via Windows Media Player in the USB settings, and that was able to retain the proper playing order.   However, this is not practical for me, as only one of my computers has WMP on it.  (And I'd like to have standard mass storage access anyway).

I'm running firmware 1.01.00P
The original firmware that came on the device was close to proper track order, except the first track was always at the end.  e.g., 2,3,4,5,6,1

Is there any way that this can be fixed?  

Thanks!
SanDisk Professor

Re: c250 Song order incorrect - alphabetical

the player doesnot read the track number on the ID3 tag nor the file name.

you can either transfer the songs using MTP then transfer it as playlist. here's the video tut. just click on the version you have. windows media player 10 or 11(XP|Vista) or just edit your tags and add a number on the title field  e.g. "01 track name"
forrestgump2000

Thanks for the reply, but neither of those solutions are acceptable to me.

I sure hope that Sandisk can address this problem in a firmware update, or I have a feeling that this thing is going to go on eBay really soon!
SanDisk Fanatic
MrSmileyFace

The player should play back in album order just fine. It DOES read it in the ID3 tags. I took my album (Cypress Hill by the way) and ripped it in WMP. Assuming whatever software you use looks up the id3 tags like WMP does, then you dont have to worry about it.

I took the ripped files from the folder it created them in and just dragged and dropped them onto the player. Yes it did organize it by id3 tags still, but I was able to select playback by album and it was in order just fine.

The firmware was different but I can try the same one you used, im sure the results should be the same. You should not have to use a playlist just to play an album in album order. That would be ridiculous.
----------------------------------------------------
Best Regards,
Sansa Mod. Team
forrestgump2000

[ Edited ]
MrSmileyFace:
Can you try with the device in MSC mode, and using MP3 files that are dragged to the device using a file manager like Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder)?   (as opposed to WMA / Windows Media Player)

Message Edited by forrestgump2000 on 07-28-2007 07:29 AM
SanDisk Fanatic
MrSmileyFace

Sure, give me some time, gotta get me hands on your version firmware...Will get back to you asap.
Best Regards,
Sansa Mod. Team
SanDisk Fanatic
MrSmileyFace

same results.
Best Regards,
Sansa Mod. Team
HighCommander

So... If you browse through Music - Albums - Album Title   are the songs in alpha order there? Mine only plays songs in alpha order if I select Nusic - Songs - Play All.  (Might  also do it if I select by artist and not album.)  I have never had a problem selecting through album for it to play in album order.
AVETR

The problem that I have with song order seems to be related to the number of tracks in an album. If the number of tracks is small, the songs are played in track order. If the number of tracks is large, the songs are played in a weird order. I have an album with 22 tracks. The first 11 are in alpha order these are tracks 1 and 10 to 19. The next 4 are in alpha order (tracks 20 21 2 22) and the last 7 are in track order (3 to 9). I think it is a problem with the way the firmware (01.01.00P) sorts the tracks. I have an e100 player and it has the same problem. I use WMA files and I haven't spent the time to see what number of tracks causes the problem. My first guess would be two digit track numbers vs one digit.
umjohn

Keep in mind that if you drag the tracks into the "Music" folder, they will, most likely, play in alphabetical order.
To keep them in proper track order, you need to drag the album folder (example: Beatles, White Album) into the "Albums" folder on the C250 and play that album.

Regards,
John