Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
estabon

My PC won't recognize my sansa c240

I just purchased my first MP3 player. I am no computer whiz, but I get by. My problem is that I loaded the disk and set up the Media converter and then I tried to hook up the MP3 and no matter which USB port I try, the Sansa is never recognized. I use MS Windows Media Player. I have seen that it has to be a version 10 or newer, but I don't know even how to find that out. HELP, HELP, HELP. Someone must know where I am going wrong. Also I have seen in the posts that it matters what mode you use for the USB, but when I look in the "settings" area of the player, there is nothing there for options on that, why is that? I have spent many hours trying to figure this all out and have gotten no where.
Thanks to everyone in advance.
SanDisk Professor
Sansa_e280r

Re: My PC won't recognize my sansa c240

Try reformatting and reinstall the firmware.
SanDisk User
Bluescreen

The first thing to do is check your version of Windows Media Player.

Start the program
Look for the 'Help' option along the top of the window (push Alt-H if you don't see it)
Select 'About Windows Media Player'

Your version should be displayed somewhere in the window that comes up.  If you have anything lower than 10 you will need to upgrade.  If you already have WMP 10 or higher check Device Manager and see if the player is showing up in there with an error.  To open Device Manager follow the steps below.

Open the start menu
Right click on My Computer (or Computer if you have Vista)
Select 'Manage'
Select 'Device Manager' on the left side

Look for anything showing up in Device Manager with a  question mark or exclamation point.  If you see the MP3 player showing up this way then right click on it and select 'Uninstall' from the menu.  Then disconnect and reconnect your player.
estabon

Thanks, I reinstalled the software and after about 1 hour the computer recognized the c240.  I still don't understand what I would do to reformat the player. So, all I have done is reinstall the software. Now It seems that it has loaded some music that I synced to it, but I have not been able to tell for sure because it doesn't let me do anything on it. I still have it attached to the computer, and I cannot control it with the buttons. I am afraid to unplug it from the computer for fear of damage or messing it up somehow. I read the instructions for how to remove it from the computer, but since I cannot do anything with it at all, how would I know it is safe? The image in the viewer now and for several hours has been the picture of the player and computer with the arrows that are going back and forth between them. Is that normal? Since this is my very first experience with such a device(never even touched one before I bought this) I want to handle it correctly and feel unsure. Thanks for anymore input.
estabon

Thanks for the tip on how to know what version of media player I have. I had checked by right clicking and choosing "properties" but that didn't give me what I needed, but your solution was perfect. Now, I have a new problem which shows up in one of my other responses here.
estabon

I just purchased another one, the new one is the c250, the 2gig model. I got all of my issues with the first one resolved, and my wife and I both wanted our own for at the gym and so we got another and all is well.
SanDisk User
Bluescreen

Nice!  Glad you got it all working.
defjef243

I used to be able to plug the USB port of my C240 into my computer and it would recognize the device and I could see all of my mp3's.  I had to do a reinstall in my PC, and now when I plug my C240 and USB into the computer, it recognizes the device but i cant see the mp3;s,  They still play on the MP3 player by itself, but not on the computer because I cant access.  thoughts?
estabon

I have occasionally had a problem like this with my c250, and the way I deal with it is to open "my computer" and click on the icon for the c240 then click on the internal drive and see from here what is on the player. You can delete from here too, and if you want to add files you can back out of the player and go into your computer hard drive where you have stored your music and send whichever music you choose to your player. Sometimes mine won't work with the Windows Media Player, so I opt for this method when that happens. Hope this has been helpful.
SanDisk Fanatic
miltst

defjef243 wrote:
I used to be able to plug the USB port of my C240 into my computer and it would recognize the device and I could see all of my mp3's.  I had to do a reinstall in my PC, and now when I plug my C240 and USB into the computer, it recognizes the device but i cant see the mp3;s,  They still play on the MP3 player by itself, but not on the computer because I cant access.  thoughts?

If you had to re-install Windows on your computer then you may not have Windows MediaPlayer 10 (or higher) installed. Without it, the computer does not have support to connect with the device in MTP like it may have been doing before. It will end up connecting in MSC mode instead.

Any files put on the player in MTP mode can not be seen by the computer when connected in MSC mode. Likewise, any file put on the device in MSC mode can not be seen by the computer later if it connects in MTP mode.

I'd suggest unplug the player, turn it off for now, and go get Windows MediaPlayer 10 (or higher) installed first. Then things should be back to working like they were before.