shoobey

Having multiple problems using basic Rockbox utility

I am trying to install Rockbox on my Sansa C250 with V1 firmware, but I have run into 2 problems. I am running a brand new laptop w/ vista.  The first problem, is that everytime I hit "auto detect" in Rockbox, it instantly freezes and crashes the program. I restarded the computer and it still does it every time.   I have tried re-downloading the program a few times and it does it every time.  

After I got past that by just selecting it from the "browse for devices" option, I get a message saying "dont have disc permission for bootloader, you need permission to install bootloader". So now I'm stuck here, I have no clue what to do to get it to work and I don't know why there are so many issues with a program that is supposed to be easy to install         

SanDisk Fanatic
bernz

Re: Having multiple problems using basic Rockbox utility

[ Edited ]

First of all, remember that Rockbox is not supposed to be "easy to install" -- it's supposed to be /possible/ to install, as it's unofficial. The creators have gone to great lengths to make the process smooth where possible, but there are some things that are out of their control. One of these things is Vista, which has a lot of unhelpful "security" features which generally only serve to interfere with these kinds of activities (installing "weird" bootloaders, etc).

Are you talking about the 'sansapatcher.exe' utility? You may wish to simply determine the drive letter yourself or whatever parameters it needs. Auto-detection is great if your computer is already set up awesomely, but I'd say about 0.000001% of all computers in existence are actually set up well (even my own PCs need work, and I know what I'm doing).

You should make sure your battery is charged and your slot is empty (on the player); also make sure the player's USB setting is "MSC"/"MSD" (mass storage mode, so it basically just appears as a disk to Windows). Connect your player to the PC, and make sure it shows up as a new drive letter. That's how sansapatcher will find it.

Anway, if you can reply with more details, you might get further help (even if not from me; there are a few others on the board here that seem to know their stuff). 

Message Edited by bernz on 12-30-2008 08:19 AM
- - -
There's ignorant, and then there's willfully ignorant. The first is simply part of life, the second is a choice.
- - -
montematson

Shoobey, I'm having the exact same issue. I have a PC with Vista Ultimate with UAC turned off. I'm running at administrator and have an E250 refurb v1. I tried using the 1.09 utility, but got the same error messages. I did go back and try the 1.07 utility and it worked. Haven't tried 1.08 yet. So something changed between versions that Vista does not like.
SanDisk Guru
gwk1967

You might get less resistance from Vista if you try doing a manual install.
montematson

After using 1.07 utility, I was able to manually put on the latest build. I just can't run the 1.09 version of the Utility