flokmania

Can't get firmware to update on c240

I have a c240 with firmware 1.5xx something. I downloaded the Sansa updater, watched the video, but nothing happens. I uninstalled, then reinstalled, still nothing.

I manually downloaded the newer 1.0xx firmware. I can't find a way to run it.

The screen doesn't pop up when I plug in the player. It won't recgonize it at all.

I did the lock, menu, record to bring up the box on my PC. I can't get the PC to find the driver/firmware.

It charges, records, and does radio but not connecting to my PC...any of my PCs

Any help is appreciated.
flokmania

Re: Can't get firmware to update on c240

So I can see the device under device manager, but still can't do anymore. It won't update the firmware nor can I do it manually.
SanDisk User
Bluescreen

What mode is the device in?  Go to the settings menu and look for an option called Mode or USB Mode.  If you're using it in MTP make sure you have at least Windows Media Player 10 (I'd recommend 11) and Windows XP Service Pack 2.

What is showing up in your device manager?  Does the icon have an exclamation point or question mark on it?  If so check the properties and it should be giving you an error message.
flokmania

There is no USB option under settings
I have vista which means WMP 11
It says no driver error
SanDisk User
Bluescreen

[ Edited ]
Try this just to see if the player is recognized:

Turn off the player
Turn on the hold switch
Hold the rewind button
Plug the player in to the computer

This should force the device in to MSC mode.  If it is detected in the forced MSC mode then the issue would appear to be with your MTP drivers.  MTP drivers are included with Windows Media Player.   

**Edit**
If you can, check the firmware version on the player and post it here please. 

Message Edited by Bluescreen on 12-06-2007 10:04 PM
flokmania

1.01.05P
It has a yellow ! in the device manager. It says no driver installed
I can't get the rewind, lock thing to work

I can get the lock, menu, record thing to pop up though
SanDisk User
Bluescreen

Have you tried the device on any other computers?  Is the result the same?

Windows Vista has an issue with installing USB devices and you may be experiencing this issue.  Check the Microsoft article at the address below and see if this will resolve it for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937187

Just fyi, the driver that the player uses is included with Windows Media Player.

Some other things you can try (if you haven't already) are below.

Uninstall the player from Device Manager and reconnect it.
Try different USB ports.
Try to manually update the driver through Device Manager's device properties.

The firmware update you mentioned in the first post may be a downgrade and not an upgrade.  I wouldn't try changing the firmware just yet.  Save that as a last resort.
06wimmes

Hi there!
uh, I just bought the Sansa c240 and now I wonder if I should or should not install the Ver. 1.082 firmware update ; according to most posts these updaters provide more problems then anything else! What advice would you give me?

bhickman6

Take it from me. Sansa SUCKS. For Xmas, I had a few audio books sent me to me to downlowd. GUESS WHAT? They do not recognize Sansa c240. When you google to find new firmware there is NOTHING available. I am forced to play the 20 hour audio book in real time and record it to an old fashioned cassette player and then play the tapes back in real time on my computer to mp3 format where they THEN will past muster for this stupid thing. I hate Sansa. Will never purhcase again
SanDisk Fanatic
bernz

bhickman6 wrote:
I am forced to play the 20 hour audio book in real time and record it to an old fashioned cassette player and then play the tapes back in real time on my computer to mp3 format where they THEN will past muster for this stupid thing. I hate Sansa. Will never purhcase again
Good God, man, that's awful! Surely there's a better way...
What format is your audio book in? Search the Web for a converter that will change it from (e.g.) .AA to .MP3 so you can avoid tapes. That reminds me of when people would burn CDs of DRM-protected files only to rip them right back to get rid of the DRM -- it works, but at the cost of a CD blank for each conversion (unthinkable). At least you can re-use your tapes, but you're still suffering...
It shouldn't be hard to find a program, but to find a GOOD program to do what you need might be more tricky. The AfterDawn forum is great for PC-related A/V concerns. Here's an example thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/103313 which discusses your concern.
Good luck, and don't give up! Humans can ALWAYS outsmart technology.  ;-)

- - -
There's ignorant, and then there's willfully ignorant. The first is simply part of life, the second is a choice.
- - -