Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
matcham

Showing what is on Sansa Fuze with Windows Media Player

I have spent most of the day trying to suss out HOW WMPlayer can be made to show me exactly what is already on my 'Music' section on Sansa Fuze 8gb. V1.1   It seems to have come with a great deal of stuff I don't want.  I just want to clear the player of rubbish so I can find what I want.

Or is the stuff it came with just unrecognisable by WMP ?  I don't understand why it doesn't show up ?  It says there is nothing there...BUT there IS! And it is a nuisance to have to spend hours trying to delete it on the player.

I would be grateful for advice.

Also I don't understand why Sansa Fuze 8gb appears twice on the list on Windows media player and what the reversable arrows are meant for. I can see you can turn minus into plus on both... and what is happening on the right hand side where it seems to list two devices...(click on to second) one with 3.5gb left and the other with 7.3gb ...

I would be grateful for help having tried to help myself!

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

Re: Showing what is on Sansa Fuze with Windows Media Player

[ Edited ]

My advice? Forget about WMP altogether.

If I had a dollar for every post I've read from someone having problems with that program, I could retire a very comfortable little SanDisk Guru.

The sample music that comes on your player is installed via MTP mode. If your player is in MSC when connected your computer cannot see these files. The easiest way to zap them all into oblivion is to format the player (Settings > System Settings > Format ? Yes). Of course this will also erase any other user-added content you have on the player, but it will give you the chance to start over fresh.

Leave WMP out of the equation and just simply drag & drop (or copy & paste) what files you want from your computer to your Fuze. It's just like moving or copying any other file betweeen locations on your computer. Couldn't be simpler.

And just think of all the hours you'll have to listen to your music instead of fighting WMP!

Btw . . . you should probably be posting your questions regarding your Fuze player in the Fuze board. This is the View board. Not too many people frequent this board anymore as the View is long discontinued. :smileywink:

matcham

Thanks...sorry about wrong board ...I was tearing my hair out and didn't look!

Drag and drop to where...?  When I plug in I just get the Windows panel which isn't helpful. On the Sansa bits and pieces there doesn't seem to be anywhere to drag anything to?  Am I missing something? In anycase surely I have to download (or upload) stuff to either i-tunes or WMP?  I am very ignorant. I knew it would be difficult and have just used my Sansa as a radio until now. I wanted to make a few of my own CDs available to me and actually succeeded in downloading one via WMP... but am very prepared to do it again if I can get rid of all that stuff. I can't see any way of deleting on the device except in tiny mouthfulls which would take for ever.

Anyway if you can spare me time for another couple of pointers I will be very grateful! Thanks.

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

As I said, formatting the player will erase everything and give you a clean slate from which to start again from.

You can use WMP to 'rip' your CDs, converting them into a format that can be read by your Fuze. I would suggest .mp3 format in either 192 or 256kbps bit-rate. This you will have to change in the "Rip" Settings in WMP.

WMP, when converting, or ripping you CDs will place the .mp3 files in your My Music folder on your computer, a sub-folder of your My Documents folder. You will see Artist (Name) folders. Inside these will be the Album folders. Inside these will be the files of the individual tracks. You can access these by going into Windows Explorer (or My Computer).

If your computer is on-line when you rip the CDs, WMP will find an on-line database and fill in the ID3 tags of the tracks, so your Fuze will be able to find, read and display this information in the lists on the player and when a track is played.

Change your player's USB Mode setting to MSC. Plug in your player. Open Windows Explorer. 2 new drives will be shown, each with their own drive letter. The 1st one will be your player; the 2nd in the card slot. This will show whether there's a memory card inserted or not.

Double-click on the player's icon. You will now see what is referred to as the root directory. Here will be a number of folders and a few files. You should see Music, Playlists, Recordings, Audiobooks, etc. folders. Double-click on the Music folder. It should be blank if you formatted correctly.

Now, open another Windows Explorer session (Start > My Computer > My Music) and navigate to the Artist folder you want to transfer. Single-click on it to highlight it. You can select multiple folders by pressing the Ctrl key on your keyboard while clicking on them. When you have them all selected, use your mouse to drag them across to the other Explorer window showing the big blank space that is your Music folder on your Fuze (you may want to make these smaller so they are side-by-side and don't over-lap). Now, release the left mouse button and Voila! All these folders (and files contained within) will be copied to the Music folder of your Fuze.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat as necessary. When done, unplug your Fuze from the computer, wait for the database refresh and enjoy the marvelous, magical, musical technology known as your Fuze mp3 player! :smileyhappy:

matcham

Thank you so much! I am too tired to work on this now but will follow the plot tomorrow! 

I have done as you said formatted and curiously it has deleted everything except the item I had actually wanted and had recently downloaded.. How strange. How convenient and  WHAT a relief! 

Oh dear, On the debit side it has deleted all my photos, and artwork. However I THINK I know how to replace them!I knew that was a risk. How curious that the latest music addition remained.

I have to look up a lot of initials!  I use Firefox usually but maybe Explorer should be open. Anyway, I am determined to understand at least the moves, if not the why!

I can see it is little short of miraculous, but you still need the ladder!

Thanks again! Julia

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

matcham wrote:

I use Firefox usually but maybe Explorer should be open.

Not Internet Explorer, but Windows Explorer (also known as My Computer). :smileywink:

matcham

Oh! I am an idiot! Aaagh.I don't know my ABC! It is all Windows to me!

But all your clues have led me in the right direction and I have succeeded in doing it. And you are right it is amazingly easy. I am on my own with technology; all my friends phobic ...at home with Photoshop...and parallels are easy to recognise, but  there are vast areas I don't understand.  As a by-the-way... there is someone on the Amazon forum (for Sansa) who has pressed arabic by accident (laugh!) and while I have given her the blind persons guide to how to get back to English (down a slot up a slot sort of thing) who knows if she has succeeded! Poor soul.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/forum/cd/discussion.html/ref=cm_cd_notf_reply?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3T3RLY200...

Anyway I just wanted to thank you again. It is an amazing device. But how long does the rechargeable battery last I wonder!

SanDisk Guru
Tapeworm

matcham wrote:

But all your clues have led me in the right direction and I have succeeded in doing it. And you are right it is amazingly easy.

matcham wrote:

... there is someone on the Amazon forum (for Sansa) who has pressed arabic by accident (laugh!) and while I have given her the blind persons guide to how to get back to English (down a slot up a slot sort of thing) who knows if she has succeeded! Poor soul.

She's not the only one this has happened to. In fact, there is a SanDisk KnowledgeBase article written for just such a predicament:
I accidentally switched to another language, how do I go back to English?
NOTE: All the steps start from the Main menu.
Fuze:
1. Select Settings (image of an equalizer).
2. Select the 6th or last item from the list.
3. Select the 5th item to access Language.
English should be the top (1st choice).

matcham wrote:
But how long does the rechargeable battery last I wonder!

Years!
:smileyhappy: