Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
chainmaillady
Accepted Solution

Sansa View not reading a micro SD card.

I have a sansa View 8gb.  I just got my first sd card.  I loaded music on it from Windows media player 11 on a Vista system, and I cannot see any of the content on the Sansa.  I can see the folder when I insert it in my laptop but I cannot see the songs.  What am I doing wrong???

SanDisk User
themole

Re: Sansa View not reading a micro SD card.

[ Edited ]

You may not be doing anything wrong. However, some more details about what you did might be helpful.

When you transferred the music to the card, did you use a card reader that was in your computer or did you have WMP load them directly to the View with the card installed in the View? Did you use a desktop to do the transfer and then look at it with the laptop? Do the desktop and the laptop both have Vista? Did you change modes on the View? What type of USB are you using, 1.0 or 2.0? Does the View itself show the files?

If you've done the firmware update to 1.03.02, you should have the choice to select between the Auto Detect and MSC modes. Files loaded in one mode will not display if the View is then switched to the other mode. (Note: this is when you are trying to read the View's contents using a computer. The View should display the all the contents no matter which mode you used to load them with).

In an effort to answer another poster's question, I plugged my 8GB View, with a 4GB micro SDHC card installed, into a 1.0 USB port on another computer. Using Windows XP Pro, Windows Explorer would show the card but would not display the contents that were installed on it. The View was set to Auto Detect mode, (also referred to as the MTP mode). (Note: all files transferred to my View were done so using this mode). Windows Explorer would display all the files in the Internal Memory but not the ones on the card. Basically it was saying the card was empty. When I plugged the View into a computer using a 2.0 USB port, everything was there. I just switched modes on my View to the MSC mode and plugged it into the computer with the 1.0 USB port again. This time The Internal Memory was given a drive letter with the volume name of Sansa View. The card was also given a drive letter with the volume name of Expansion. Again using Windows Explorer, the card now showed the folder I had put there but it didn't show the pictures that I had put in that folder. Instead, there was another folder called SYSTEM with a subfolder called MTPCONTENT which had few subfolders labeled with numbers. Some of those had subfolders. The pictures I had loaded to the View were in these subfolders. The Internal Memory displayed the default folders of the View but the Music folder showed empty and I have several folders there containing several gigabytes of music. Since, as mentioned, these files had been transferred using the Auto Detect, (or MTP), mode, I didn't expect them to show. By being in the MSC mod, Windows Explorer now displays a SYSTEM folder, on the Internal Memory, with a subfolder of MTPCONTENT with several numbered subfolder which contain .dat files which are the files, (music, pictures, videos), that were loaded to the View using the Auto Detect mode.

Point is, the View stores the files you transfer to it in it's own manner. How those contents are displayed or not displayed depends on several factors, the type of USB port, the mode the View is set to, the mode you used to transfer the files with, and I'd venture to say the version of Windows you're using. I have seen where people have been complaining about the compatibility of the View with Vista.

You also might try NOT using WMP to transfer your music. Just use Windows Explorer and use the Copy To or the Copy and Paste method. You avoid a lot of program compatibility problems that way. I've used these transfer methods for all my MP3 and MP4 players and it's always worked.

Hope something here is useful to you.

Message Edited by themole on 10-26-2008 04:29 PM
chainmaillady

I used the card reader slot on my Dell laptop. And then inserted it into the View.  I get a database updating, but nothing ever shows up.  My desk top has XP.  When I connect the view to the XP machine, the view and the card show up in My Computer as "Devices with Removable Storage" I would assume that the Vista machine has USB 2.0 as it is new, the XP machine I assume is 2.0 as it is about a year old.  I don't know how to check.  I just did the firmware update. I will try to load the card with music as you suggested and hope it works better...thanks for your time

SanDisk User
themole

If you plug your View into a USB 1.0 port you'll get a message that says 'this device will work faster if it is plugged into a 2.0 port'. If you don't get that message, you already have 2.0 and from the age of your computers they both should be 2.0.

If your View shows in My Computer as Sansa View, you are in the Auto Detect, (or MTP) mode. Windows should display any files you have transferred to your View in that mode. I leave my View in this mode and haven't had any problems copying or deleting any kind of file. I really haven't found the need to switch to the MSC mode.

Just to check for you, I created a Music folder on my Expansion card and copied an album to it. The View listed the album and played it just as it does for the music I have in the Internal Memory.

The only thing I can think of is that either the Dell or the card reader is adding something to your transfers that conflicts with the View. It's possible that the card reader is using the MSC mode to view and transfer files to the card. However, the View should still display and play the music, but Windows won't show the contents as once the card is installed in the View, the View is now in MTP mode, and as stated before, files transferred in one mode will not display in Windows if the View is in the other mode. I'd try leaving the card in the View and just use Windows Explorer to copy your music to the card.

Worked for me, hope it works for you.

chainmaillady

Thanks.  I used my desktop and did the drag & drop and it worked fine.  So, now I have to try it later with the laptop and the drag & drop technique.  Hopefully it will work as well, otherwise I will transfer all the music on my laptop to my desktop and just use that...thanks again for all your help.
SanDisk User
themole

You're welcome. Glad that worked for you.

themole