SanDisk User

Re: How to: MTP mode in (K)Ubuntu Gutsy

I don't get how you're proceeding.

Personally I plug my View to my computer, launch mtp-detect until it works (sometimes my View reboots when I launch mtp-detect), and only then I connect to it in Amarok.

well, I think I am going to wait for the next Ubuntu release, so in one week I ll know more

If you're having that much trouble with MTP mode, why not just go back to MSC? As you read from my extensive writeup, I got MTP working. However, there were still too many issues to make it worth it. MSC has sufficed for all this time.
SanDisk User

I wonder if playlists will work then with Hardy.

The only reason why I would use MTP is the possibility of using playlists,

however right now in Gutsy and using amarok playlists do not work.

There I dont see any substantial advantage for MTP mode over MSC mode.

So currently I use:

Ripper-X for ripping my CDs (soundjuicer just ripped with static noise sometimes, probably some bad cdparanoia settings) 

EasyTag to make sure I have proper id3 tags

albumart-qt to embed album covers into the mp3s

Nautilus for MSC transfer.

Regarding playlists: 

MusicToGo list on the View for a bestof of all my songs on the view.

The second playlist options (best rated songs) is just too clumsy to setup each time. 

Of course you can always fumble with your id3 tags to setup your own playlists by setting either artist or album to the name of your playlist but that beats the purpose of id3 tags in my opinion. 

mplayer/ffmpeg for encoding videos in h264/aac.

SanDisk User

It does work in Hardy using Amarok but while creating a playlist on the View in MTP mode is not a problem you then need to change the playlist filename extension on the view to .pla to make it visible in the View Smiley Sad
SanDisk User

kaptinvimes wrote:
It does work in Hardy using Amarok but while creating a playlist on the View in MTP mode is not a problem you then need to change the playlist filename extension on the view to .pla to make it visible in the View Smiley Sad
Are you sure? I tried with .pla playlists and they did not work on my View.
SanDisk User

The playlist created in Amarok and then copied over to the view has a z?? extension. This has to be renamed to a pla extension. Unfortunately I have only been able to do this in Windows MTP mode not in Linux.... yet. So really the View in MTP mode under Linux is still a bit of a workround
SanDisk User

Interesting discovery kaptinvimes. But of course it is still useless, unless we find a way to rename the "z??" playlist to .pla IN LINUX.

Otherwise, if I have to start Windows in order to rename the playlist, it would be easier to create playlists directly in Windows... 

SanDisk User

[ Edited ]
You're right of course unless Amarok developers can change playlist file extension when writing to the View or maybe a plugin .... ?
.zpl file extension appears to be used with the Creative Zen
Message Edited by kaptinvimes on 04-19-2008 12:51 PM