Rubberducky1324

16gb SDHC card partial solution

[ Edited ]

I posted earlier about my problem with my 16gb SDHC card (http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?message.uid=147708#U147708), I have found a few answers and found it useful to start a new topic.

My problem was that my card didn't really get detected, it didn't do a DB refresh when i inserted it and just reported SD as 0 mb, and -1 mb free.

Now I've found out that every time I add a file to the View with the card inserted and disconnect the USB cable, it refreshes the database and detects the sd card and reads it too, then everything works until next reset.

Also it detects a 15178mb SD card but it also says 15178mb Free.

Is this a known problem?

Is my Sansa faulty?

Is there a way to start a db refresh from the device itself, without a PC.

Message Edited by Rubberducky1324 on 04-19-2010 03:41 AM
pc-tech

Re: 16gb SDHC card partial solution

I have pretty much the same problem.  I have the 16gb View with a Sandisk 8gb SDHC card.  (The first View I received would not recognize any card in the slot nor show the additional drive for the card reader......sent it back).  With this unit, the card is only recognized IF the View is connected to the computer, then insert the card into the slot.  After that, you can dismount the player and the card will continue to be recognized until it is either reset or turned off for extended period of time (like overnight).  I have been fooling with this most of a week now.  I have tried formatting the card as FAT32 using Windows 98se, Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 AND formatting using the player......doesn't matter.  I have been in the computer field for

over 30yrs and still don't understand this problem.  You would think that it would either work or not.  Removing the card, turning the unit on and then inserting the card doesn't do anything either.  When it looses the card, I get the same indication

in the System Info = SD card 0mb, Free = -1mb.  When doing as I stated above, connecting to pc, then inserting the card, the System Info will show SD card =  7156mb, Free = 6138mb (since I have some videos on the card .... yes it will show Free = 7156mb when the card is cleared).  The player will loose the card if reset regardless of whether there is anything on the card or now.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.  I still have 3 weeks to return this unit. This is the 2nd unit.  I have been using a Creative Zen Microphoto for 4yrs now and NEVER had any kind of problems with it.  I have a 4gb unit and a 8gb unit, my wife has a 8gb unit and both my daughters have 8gb units......not a one of them has given any kind of problems.  I am starting to think that I should have selected a different product than the Sansa.  I just replaced the battery in my main Zen Microphoto which after reading some other posts, it alarms me that other people with Sansa View are having battery problems in less than two years.

So, any help in either resolving this problem or helping me make a decision on sending this thing back and picking a better player would be a tremendous help.

Thanks for listening and/or any help offered.

pc-tech

pc-tech

I made a post a few days ago to this problem, and the fact that I was having a very similar problem.  After another week of

beating my head agains the wall and online with Sandisk Tech Support two days ago for almost two hours, Tech Support told me that I had received another bad player and I should return it for exchange. We tried everything including a fresh reload of the firmware. While I was waiting for a return authorization, I decided one last attempt.  I took the new Sandisk 8gb SDHC card back to Walmart and exhanged it for a PNY 8gb SDHC card.  I took the card out of the package, turned on the player, inserted the empty sd card and voila......it immediately said "Refreshing Database".  I knew instantly the problem was solved.

The curious thing is the Sandisk card worked like normal in a card reader on 3 different pc's and in my digital camera.  It would work in the Sansa View as long as you hooked the Sansa to the pc, waiting for it to be recognized, then insert the card. In Windows Explorer, it would show Sansa View (G:smileyhappy: and Removable Disk (H:smileyhappy:.  When the card was inserted, it would read the card and now how Sansa View (G:smileyhappy: and Expansion (H:smileyhappy:.  Now my card was read, my files were there and I could dismount the player and the card & files remained UNTIL the unit was either reset or powered off for 2+ hrs.  So, just because the card semi-worked, doesn't mean it's GOOD.  Apparently the card was not announcing itself when plugged into the View's slot.  I should have suspected this when I noticed last night that I had been plugging the card into my little reader, THEN plugging the reader into the USB port.  Well, the reader is announcing itself to the pc and the card is then read.  But I had tried plugging the reader into the USB port, THEN plugging the card into the reader and it didn't do anything. I pulled the card and reinsert, still nothing.

So my conclusion is that the card would not announce itself (or initialize).  So, before you waste a ton of time and money as I did, don't assume the card is bad.  I have since bought a PNY 4gb SDHC card, took it out of the package, turned on the player, stuck it in the slot and instantly, it refreshed the database (even though there was nothing on the card), but worked fine.  I have since loaded files on it and it works great.

SOOOO, I would suggest, if you are having this problem, suspect your card and don't use a Sandisk card.  It could be that I just got a flaky Sandisk card and another Sandisk card might be OK.  But 2 for 2 on the PNY worked instantly & still working.

LarryB

Thought forum members would like to know that the issues about the SanDisk View (in my case a 32GB version) recognizing a 16GB microSD card are also occurring with the new 32GB microSD card. However, in my case there are NO issues with a SanDisk 16GB card. The 16GB card is recognized fine and all files are properly incoporated in the database. The only "issue" is the crazy 5-6min "refreshing data base" that occurs whenever the view is turned on. After turning on, all functions (playing, shuffling, radio, etc) work OK. I do have to use the MTP mode ("autodetect") instead of the MSC mode inorder to overcome the mutiple file name problem associated with microSD cards in MSC mode but I can live with that. The SanDisk 32GB microSD was purchased from an Irish firm I have used in the past and am quite happy with (MemoryC.com) and carries a Europen part number (SDSDQ-032G-E11M). This card behaves exactly like pc-tech has described for the 16GB card. That is, all 32GB of memory shows up fine with any USB reader attached to a PC yet within the View it shows 0 MB with free -1 MB. I have also tried multiple formats of the card with XP or Win 7; even going so far as doing a NTFS format and back to FAT32 but to no avail. I can get the partial recognition in MSC mode with a momentary "Refresh database" that allows functionality until a shutdown and then re-turn on. At that point it is a no go again. To add to the mystery, this same card will function with no problems in a Sansa E280 v1 running RockBox (v1 E280s only natively recognize upto 2GB cards). Sounds like Sansa really needs to update the firmware on the View but for whatever reasons chooses not to do so beyond the last update of 1.03.02A in years past.

Take Care y'all,

Larry

pc-tech

I had the same problem and fought with for almost a month.  Between tech support from the seller and Sandisk Tech Support Chat line, we battled this problem including sending my first Sansa View 16gb back as defective (which we later found out was not and almost sent the 2nd back as defective).  I was using a brand new Sandisk 8gb SDHC card (purchased from W**M**T) and had no reason to assume that it had a problem.  After all attempts to resolve the issue (including reloading the firmware with Sandisk Tech Support), I was waiting for the seller to send another RMA to send the 2nd unit back and decided to buy another micro sd card.  This time I purchased a PNY 4gb SDHC card.  I took the card out of the package, turned on the player, stuck it in the card slot and "Voila", it did a DB refresh....without even formatting the card or writing anything on the card.  I took the card out, stuck in the Sandisk card and nothing. Put the PNY card back in and it worked.  I took the Sandisk 8gb SDHC card back and exchanged it for a PNY 8gb card......it works too.  Even though I could write files on the Sandisk card and use them, the card apparently would not announce itself when inserted into the player.  I could also put the card in a little USB card reader and worked perfectly, but putting into the Sansa View, it would not announce itself.

Both the PNY 4gb and 8gb micro SDHC cards work fine.  The only problem I am still having (and apparently a ton of people are having the same problem) is that any videos on the sd card get a new entry into the DB every time the player is turned on/reset/files added.  ie..... I ripped my copy of Avatar, converted to MP4 and copied to the sd card.  Now when I turn the player on, I have 14 entries for Avatar even though the file is there once.  After I hook the player to the pc, then dismount it, the player will refresh the DB and the movie will only appear once.  As soon as I turn the player off and back on, it will appear 14 times.  If I force a reset, the DB will get refreshed and it will show 15 entries.  I think Sandisk still has a problem with this in their firmware.

I have read these forums and not only do a lot of other people have the same problem, so far, nobody has an answer for it EXCEPT......one owner that got a unit with the older Firmware 3.01.  He says he does not have that problem with the previous firmware and has no intentions to upgrade to 3.02.  I have not found where I can get the 3.01 firmware file and if it is possible to "downgrade" or go backwards.

I would definately try another sd card.   Hope that helps.

jojoba

[ Edited ]

Got the same refreshing problem with a 16GB Sandisk micro SDHC and the 8GB Sandisk Sansa View with firmware 01.03.02. Like mentioned in a post before there are no problems with the Sandisk card in other card readers!

After reading your post i decided to buy a card from another manufacturer and picked a 16GB memory card from extremememory.

Now the database is always automatically refreshing after inserting the micro SDHC. The View is also refreshing the database after restart.  Really great improvement to the sandisk micro SDHC were nothing happend after inserting!!!

At the moment there are no duplicatet entries in my mp3 database, and I don't use my sandisk as a video player so i can't say anything about the issues with videos.

By the way - if you are still looking for the firmware here are some:

01.01.06a

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-View/Sansa-View-Latest-Firmware-01-01-06a-Download/m-p/13834#M851

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-View/Sansa-View-Firmware-01-02-09-Download/m-p/27556#M4018

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/User-guides-Firmware-Software/Firmware-Sansa-View-Firmware-1-03-02-Down...

Greetz