white screen, reboot, playlists deleted....

Greetings all,

First Issue:

On my Fuze 4GB, 4GB internal memory, recently I notied that after I unplugged from the sync/charge cable (plugged into my PC) an all white screen appears. I can power the device off and back on, the device reboots and all is fine. However, yesterday the same thing happened I followed the same process, and now several of my playlists are gone. 

Second issue:

To perhaps resolve the first issue I plugged the device back into the sync/charge cable and pulled up WinAmp. However, now WinAmp is showing no music for internal memory. The additional memory card appears to not have been effected. 

The last time a similar occurance happened I just formated the device and started over. However, I am not as willing to perform that function this time. 

Fuze is running current firmware. 

Any ideas? 

-Jeff

I would suggest reloading of firmware. But just to make sure, try format so that you won’t leave any holes like a possible corruption.

How does one reload firmware?

-Jeff

I called Sansa. I got someone who was in a hurry and did not fully listen. It seems as though he was following a set of steps and needed to hit his number of call quota for the day. Well, anyways…

Step one: He walked me through reloading the firmware. Nothing. It is still not showing in WinAmp to have any files on the internal memory.

Step two: He wanted me to just format the device without any further testing and keep saying “mm-hmm” as if to say yes every few minutes, yet I was not saying anything. I checked to see if a reboot helped or anything else would work. Nothing. So now, to clarify, the device works properly except for a few missing playlists; however, WinAmp will not see the internal memory. This is clearly some corrupted data. I did just add a few songs the other day. :(  So, I suggested removing the last files that might have caused the corruption. Nope, he just stated “mm humm…mmhummm Ok, so now we ready for format?”  What am I left with?! So, I formated the device and it fixed the issue. Now WinAmp is showing no music (of course) but it will let me add playlists back to it. 

This makes the third time this has happened, the need to format the device. I may end up selling this one and getting something else. :frowning:

Do you safely remove the device? Sometimes this can cause things to happen.

With the newest firmware I’ve noticed that if I leave it plugged into the computer and it charges, after it’s fully charged it will give me the white screen of death after I safely remove it and unplug it.

I don’t have playlists, except the go list, so I can’t help you with that (I could never get that to work, so I use genres or albums or artists if I want something specific… may be harder, but… works).

@dalaug234 wrote:

Do you safely remove the device? Sometimes this can cause things to happen.

With the newest firmware I’ve noticed that if I leave it plugged into the computer and it charges, after it’s fully charged it will give me the white screen of death after I safely remove it and unplug it.

I don’t have playlists, except the go list, so I can’t help you with that (I could never get that to work, so I use genres or albums or artists if I want something specific… may be harder, but… works).

In order to answer you question you will need to provide more information. Can you please articulate the process of safely removing the device? 

In Windows, when you plug in a Plug and Play device, a litte icon appears in the tray on the lower right. I don’t know what it’s supposed to be a picture of, but the top part is green. (Run your cursor over the various icons to check for it.) 

You click on that and it lists connected USB devices. When you Safely Remove the device, Windows shuts it down so as not to leave stray data. 

So not Safely Removing the Sansa may have left some junk that made it crazy. 

The Fuze is also, and unfortunately,  far too selective about ID3 tags on files, and may have choked on unusual tags. It’s a good idea to use mp3tag and retag every album before moving it to the Sansa–usually takes about 15 seconds.  The instructions for setting the right defaults in mp3tag are here.

One other thing. When you upate firmware, it switches to Auto Detect or MTP Mode. You’re using Winamp, which works in MSC mode, so you need to switch that back in Settings/USB Mode after the update. That may have been why some files were invisible to your computer, which can only see one Mode at a time, MSC or MTP. 

All that said, I’ve sometimes gotten the white screen after transferring properly tagged music over.  I just shut off and restart without further problems. 

I agree with what is posted above by Black-Rectangle. Let me just add that in MTP you would not see the Safely Remove Hardware icon (unless other USB devices are plugged in). Just make sure you are not accessing or transferring information to the device before disconnecting it.