synchronise to continue your music subscription

I have recently purchased a Sansa Fuze.  I got the Sansa specifically so I could download audiobooks from my public library using Overdrive Media.  I successfully loaded several books and was happily listening - but then I started getting the message synchronise to continue your music subscription. 

I can still listen to podcasts which I download via Itunes on my Mac, but not the books dowloaded via Overdrive Media on my PC.  This is driving me mad and I am about to return my Sansa and find a Zen or similar again.  Help needed 

All you need to do is hook it up to your PC and open up overdrive. Its like renting a book, you only have it for so long before you need to renew it, you have to apply the same principal with the audiobooks that have DRM restrictions like this.

Thank you I will try this - although I am not sure this is the problem as the books should not yet have been due for renewal.  Anyway, I’ll give this a go.

It happens like that. Make sure that the date on your player is right and that it matches the date on your computer.

Books time out. That why you have to get them through Overdrive–it is adding information on when they expire.

You will have the same situation with any unit.

Podcasts don’t time out. 

I’m way behind when it comes to computers and this fuze device. all i’m trying to do is listen to and enjoy a little music. My question about the sychronising to continue the music subscription is: is this a result of hooking up with rhapsody or a method of updates. Rhapsody takes my 14.99 every month, why would i be required to synchronise what i’ve “bought” already.

The fuze stropped working last night as i ignored its requests to plug in.

Thanks in advance.

overmyhead wrote:

I’m way behind when it comes to computers and this fuze device. all i’m trying to do is listen to and enjoy a little music. My question about the sychronising to continue the music subscription is: is this a result of hooking up with rhapsody or a method of updates. Rhapsody takes my 14.99 every month, why would i be required to synchronise what i’ve “bought” already.

The fuze stropped working last night as i ignored its requests to plug in.

Thanks in advance.

With rhapsody you arnt buying music as much as you are renting it. You pay there fee and get so many downloads a month but they only license those downloads for 30 days so when you stop paying or stop hooking up to sync the music stops working. Its basically the same with any subscription music service. 

The “synchronize to continue your music subscription” message was chosen as the least confusing error message for DRM or secure wma media.  This is because most faults can be corrected by simply renewing your DRM licenses via the PC.

First and foremost, be sure to have the latest firmware installed on your Fuze.  DRM issues have been addressed in the latest releases.

If your problem is with the Rhapsody client, first try opening the Rhapsody 4 client on your computer, log in, and plug in the Fuze.

After the device is scanned by the client, click on the Fuze in the sources pane in the upper left.  Now have a look in the lower right corner of the Rhapsody interface.  You should see “Licensed until <date>” displayed in the corner.  This date will be 30 days from the current date.

Let me know if this date is correct.  If not, no worries, we can go through a few further steps.  Most of the time, this should correct your issue.

A simple trick is to pick a track from the Music Guide, and drag it to your Fuze.  Once a single track is transferred, the Rhapsody client checks the license data automatically.

Let me know how it goes!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 02-05-2010 11:17 PM

I am also having this issue with Overdrive WMA audio books.  It seems that I can listen to the first two files, and then I get the message “Synchronize to continue your music subscription” for each of the rest of the files.  This happens on books that have just been checked out with a full two weeks left on the license.  The current book I have re-synched at least three (3) times with no luck.  I can play the files on my PC using Real Player, Media Player or the Overdrive player so the license is valid.

My device is a Sansa Fuze with firmware V01.02.31A, USB set to MSC. Thanks for any help you can provide.

draar wrote:

I am also having this issue with Overdrive WMA audio books.  It seems that I can listen to the first two files, and then I get the message “Synchronize to continue your music subscription” for each of the rest of the files.  This happens on books that have just been checked out with a full two weeks left on the license.  The current book I have re-synched at least three (3) times with no luck.  I can play the files on my PC using Real Player, Media Player or the Overdrive player so the license is valid.

My device is a Sansa Fuze with firmware V01.02.31A, USB set to MSC. Thanks for any help you can provide.

You need to be in MTP for the license to transfer to the player properly. 

If I set to MTP mode, the device is not recognized by any of the applications or the OS (Win XP).`

Install Windows Media Player 11.  Manually set the Fuze to MTP mode, and plug in.  You can then reinstall the device using the Device Manager.

With the Overdrive Media Console, you should be able to transfer your books properly for listening.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 02-06-2010 06:18 PM

Thanks.  That worked and I am all set now.

Dear Bob Like a few others on this forum, I was about to send my sandisk back and return to old faithful zen (lost mine on london to brighton bike ride, sob, sob) BUT you have solved the wma problem with my audiobooks and someone else solved the volume problem - I think. It is now 1:33 am and the proof of the Sandisk pudding is in the long run in a few hours’ time. If it can’t rise above the traffic sounds, it goes back. Ditto if it can’t play a thriller to keep me company on the long miles :slight_smile: