SanDisk Guru

Re: slotRadio on Sansa Fuze!

If you load your own music on a valid SlotMusic card, you can access it from the main menu under the SlotMusic icon.  It's also available using the regular artist / album / song navigation method.

Bob  Smiley Wink

SanDisk Guru

neutron_bob wrote:

If you load your own music on a valid SlotMusic card, you can access it from the main menu under the SlotMusic icon.  It's also available using the regular artist / album / song navigation method.

Bob  Smiley Wink

Well, that's certainly one way to do it (filing up the excess space on the card with your own music), but marquis said he has already bought an 8GB card (regular) and refuses to spend the money they want for a SlotMusic or SlotRadio card.
SanDisk Guru

These SM / SR cards have their own integrated files for each format.  The Secure Digital component protects them from sleuthing.

It would be fun to try "cloning" an SM card...  meaning that the Fuze identifies it as a mounted SM card.  Separating the songs into an individial GUI selection is kind of cool, quicker than selecting a playlist, I guess.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

[ Edited ]

@neutron_bob: is it true the moderators here don't enforce staying on topic? I'll only reply that an album over 30 years ago retails for the same as one now. If your wage stayed the same over that period let us know. I'm an accountant. There's been general inflation during that period.

----

It would be interesting to clone the card and yet all we'd end up with is a card with secure music stored in a proprietary file system. I don't think it's going to be possible to add anything to that sealed-off container which uses most the capacity of the card.

I was much happier with the SR card at $40 than seeing it now at $50. I won't soon get another, since the selection of genres is too limited.

Message Edited by shelded on 10-18-2009 01:42 PM
SanDisk Guru

I eagerly await more genres for the SR lineup, like Jazz.

The SR card only has about 64MB open for additional music, as it's pretty filled up.

As an accountant, I'm sure you'll appreciate the dramatic increase in margin, despite inflation, even for the venerable CD...much less downloads.  I began my CD collection with the first available CDs, at $24 each, in 1982 dollars.  SlotRadio is a good deal per track, as a handy song mix.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

@neutron_bob: Jazz card would be great, but it scares me what variety would be there, just as "classical" is sure to be such a mixture of good and bad. I was interested to see they have a health and fitness one which has some decent music on it if you can stand mono-tempo Smiley Happy

I suppose you know, margin is what profit remains after selling and paying one's costs. What I do "appreciate" is that there has been a decrease in unit margin due to decreased sales price and increased unit costs. I think you underestimate the delivery costs of the digital media and that it costs more than that 27-yr-old CD did; however, I think we both are speaking out of ignorance. There is an awful amount of debate nowadays about what it costs to provide a megabyte to a user. The slotradio SD card is, I think, a fairly expensive cost of production.

Did someone around here say they would not mind paying an extra ten bucks for these things? They launched at a pretty good price, and I find it impossible to believe they sold so well that the Sansa ppl decided they could shove the price higher. Well, I can outwait them for the price to fall again.

SanDisk User

[ Edited ]
I think it did go back to $39.99 - and - there's a new Sony Music Classical card too! Smiley Happy
Message Edited by Sansational on 10-28-2009 12:01 AM

Re: SlotRadio on Sansa Fuze!

[ Edited ]

I added SlotRadio to my Sansa Fuse a while ago (easy to do, and it works great).  The first card I put in was the Oldies card.  My family thought it would be a great idea to give me cards for birthday presents, so I have Oldies, Country, 70s-80s Rock and Classic rock.

You probably know this, but when I take out a card and replace it with another, then put the other card back in - - it starts where it left off.  I thought it would start over, and I'd be playing the first songs on the cards over and over.

I would also like a Jazz card, a Classical, and a Standards (Sinatra, Miller, Etta James) card.

I actually like the random mix.  When I want specific music, I have everything on my computer and paste it into a micro SD card.

Don't mean to be babbling on, I just really like the convenience of random music that I don't have to spend hours creating.

Great product.

Ed

Message Edited by edgraham on 11-13-2009 09:10 AM

@Sensational: Thank you, I've found on Rip Shack and on slotradio.com that the cards are $40 again. When you posted a few weeks ago that change had not hit the web sites. Some cards were $50, mostly the new ones.

So, I guess we have out-waited them. You all may resume buying the cards now. Smiley Happy

I have not yet made it entirely through every track on my Rock card, and I have heard the 2-second "ad" twice, once on each of two tracks. This silly card stays in the player almost all the time instead of my 8GB personal collection because it is so simple. Not because I love every tune, but because it's "good enough."

SanDisk User

shelded wrote:

@Sensational: Thank you, I've found on Rip Shack and on slotradio.com that the cards are $40 again. When you posted a few weeks ago that change had not hit the web sites. Some cards were $50, mostly the new ones.

So, I guess we have out-waited them. You all may resume buying the cards now. Smiley Happy

I have not yet made it entirely through every track on my Rock card, and I have heard the 2-second "ad" twice, once on each of two tracks. This silly card stays in the player almost all the time instead of my 8GB personal collection because it is so simple. Not because I love every tune, but because it's "good enough."

On the "Good Enough" revolution, from Wired Magazine:

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/magazine/17-09/ff_goodenough

Interesting read.