slotRadio on Sansa Fuze!

@terrih wrote:

I just bought a SlotRadio at Radio Shack & I love it!  If I want to hear Classical music I can even listen to Public Radio via the FM setting … However, I would rather be listening to a Classical Billboard chip!   It would also be nice to find blank chips I could load with my own MP3s via my Mac.  Advice? Info?

Terri H. 

All you need is a microSD card, available almost anyplace that sells MP3 players or digital cameras, and a way to put music on it. Many modern PCs have memory card readers/writers built in, though you’ll need an adapter to make the microSD card fit the standard SD slot (microSD cards are often sold packaged with an adapter).

I am under the impression that SlotRadio does nothing but play these prepared cards. The SlotMusic cards may not even play in the SlotRadio.

Heads up Sansa! These products have really bad names and make a difficult concept worse!

How does one refer simply to the SlotRadio (card) distinctly from the SlotRadio (player)? What a mess.

Since I’m here posting again, I thought I would point out that the Fuze is displaying album art but I think the SlotRadio does not have that feature. The SlotRadio is apparently some afterthought while the Fuze is the real thing.

I was thinking a SlotRadio (card) with the classical genre would be nice, but I realize it would be boring. It would contain only the popular movements Pacelbel, of Vivaldi, the “best of Beethoven” and would be probably the performed by those cheap ex-Russia orchestras. I can do without that.  I might rather hear the 'best of radio comedy" or something like that.

Message Edited by shelded on 06-20-2009 03:46 PM

@tapeworm wrote:

I believe this is the case with SlotMusic cards, but the SlotRadio cards are a different ball 'o wax. I don’t think you can copy these, or for that matter, manipulate them in any way. That’s why you can’t change the play order of the songs or anything.

Gotcha :slight_smile:

Laaaaaaame :frowning:

@mngrif wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

I believe this is the case with SlotMusic cards, but the SlotRadio cards are a different ball 'o wax. I don’t think you can copy these, or for that matter, manipulate them in any way. That’s why you can’t change the play order of the songs or anything.

Gotcha :slight_smile:

Laaaaaaame :frowning:

The restrictions they put on usage are the only way they can sell 1000 songs for $40.

One of the reviews linked above says the person loaded some music into the empty area of the card to play. And elsewhere two of the reviews speak in less detail of loading music to other cards to play. So it may work.

We need a buyer to report in, but those people are not likely to be the experiment-and-report type, which is why they bought the device. Maybe a relative will do it for us.

Just yesterday have seen the ad showing a gal with one of the SlotRadio. All other ads I have seen have no hands to show the scale. I had impression this thing was much larger than it is. It is very cute.

You can load about an album’s worth on the slotradio card’s free space. Works as advertised with MP3 and WMA.

and… it’s Pachelbel BTW…

So when will we get SlotRadio on the Clip?:wink:

Trying to incite responses?:smiley:

@yelped wrote:
Trying to incite responses?:smiley:

As the Governor of Alaska would say, “You betcha!”:smileyvery-happy:

You find the slot, I found the radio. Then maybe else someone will create the hacked firmware.

@shelded wrote:
You find the slot, I found the radio. Then maybe else someone will create the hacked firmware.

I was looking for a hint as to whether or not the Clip would ever get a slot.:wink:

@shelded wrote:

I am under the impression that SlotRadio does nothing but play these prepared cards. The SlotMusic cards may not even play in the SlotRadio.

(snip)

Since I’m here posting again, I thought I would point out that the Fuze is displaying album art but I think the SlotRadio does not have that feature. The SlotRadio is apparently some afterthought while the Fuze is the real thing.

The whole idea behind SlotRadio players is to produce a very very cheap MP3 player. In fact, last I heard, they won’t even have a proper screen, just control buttons. It’s for people that just want music to play, and they want it to play now. As in, it’s not for really any of us that would be posting on these forums.

The Fuze is the real deal, a SlotRadio player is just a player, nothing more. That’s also why it’s half the price of a Fuze.

As far as interoperability goes, Sansa would be making a massive mistake if the SlotRadio player only worked with SlotRadio cards, so I doubt that will be the case. They aren’t that stupid, we hope.

One of the smart things that Sandisk did do is to make the fuze compatible with slotradio cards.   Fuze owners can purchase a card without the need to purchase another player.  The player is a little overpriced, IMHO, especially since a 2GB fuze is almost the same price.

As far as interoperability goes, Sansa would be making a massive mistake if the SlotRadio player only worked with SlotRadio cards, so I doubt that will be the case. They aren’t that stupid, we hope.

In addition to the slotRadio cards, the slotRadio player will also play music on any microSD card, including slotMusic cards.  It does read ID3 tags, but seems to navigate by folder.  The screen is monochromatic, and does not seem to display album art, at least I haven’t seen any so far.

You know, slatradio is all very well and good, and I’m glad you folks offer that feature, but could you *please* finish fixing the .ogg playback and hang bugs now, and hold off on the new features until they are done?

Also, how come we can’t rewind or skip back witin a song or go back to a previous song using slotradio?  Is this a deliberate limitation of the “musical product?” 

I’ve noticed a kind of “mom and pop could use it” quality in some of the replies, but - well - I’m way past being a “pop” and I *never* liked beinfg forced in any direction, period.  That’s why I bother to learn things. 

The limitations of slotRadio as far as rewind/replay is concerned are advertised on the card packaging and on the website:

*slotRadio™ cards contain 1000 songs pre-programmed in music playlists for unlimited playback with slotRadio-compatible devices only. Visit slotRadio.org for slotRadio compatible devices. Much like radio, these songs are played in sequence and cannot be rewound or rearranged, yet in slotRadio™, individual songs can be skipped as often as you want. Song and playlist files cannot be copied or viewed (for example on a PC).

1000 songs for $40? Think of it as cached Internet radio in your pocket… The playlists are very well crafted and quite long.

I just got a Radio Shack ad. They wish to call themselves The Shack, but for years I have called them Rip Shack, if I must use a different name it will be that one. The ad led me to discover that the new retail price of the SR card is $50!!!

I guess they sold so many they feel bold.

Obviously they didn’t sell them here.

I bought one and am very happy with it. But I can’t see buying another, since it’s taken me months to get through the whole thing and the other cards seem so unappealing.

Imo there are two main problems with Slotradio cards on the Fuze. First of all, one can’t set up a playlist to play just their favorite songs on the card in the order they want. If this would be available, then the cards would be much more useful. The second problem is the price. For most people, $50 is not an impulse purchase. An impulse purchase is $20 or under. If 400 song cards would be priced at $20 or less, the demand would probably be much greater than for 1,000 song cards at $50.

@shelded wrote:

I just got a Radio Shack ad. They wish to call themselves The Shack, but for years I have called them Rip Shack, if I must use a different name it will be that one.

I’ve always liked Radio Hack myself, or Rad Hack for short. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t think this is gonna last long…Leave RADIO on the RADIO…I bought an MP3 player to play MY music and to have TOTAL control over it…Now Slot Music is OK, but Slot Radio…give me a break…I can listen to the radio on my Sansa for free…Why woud I pay for it…So OK…it has no comercials or talk, so what???

This slap is directed at Slot Radio, and NOT the Sansa Fuze, which rocks!!!