slotRadio on Sansa Fuze!

@tapeworm wrote:

@shelded wrote:

I’m finding the Chillout playlist to be a total waste on me :confused: and the Classic playlist is sometimes quite classic (old). I think anyone buying these cards should expect a high rejection rate just to make sure they’re not disappointed. I’m fine with 20-40% good stuff.

If 20-40% of the total 1000 songs are all that qualify as ‘good stuff’, then that $40 price tag is even more of a ‘non-value’ than I previously thought. That raises the price per ‘quality’ song up to $1 - $2 each, rather than the 4 cents per song as advertised. Even I-tunes sells them cheaper than that, and you only have to buy the ones you want!

I think your math is a bit off - 20% of 1000 is 200. At $40/card, that’s 20 cents per song (10 cents per song if you like 40%). That’s still a lot less than Amazon or iTunes, but you have to sift through a lot of other stuff.

I thought the dentist office idea was great, but then I remembered that there are royalties for airing music in public. I’m sure there is some terms of service that only allows this for personal use, so that the dentist office would be violating those. If they are going to air music without paying royalties, where they get the music from is probably the least of their problems.

@bdb wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:
I think your math is a bit off - 20% of 1000 is 200. At $40/card, that’s 20 cents per song (10 cents per song if you like 40%). That’s still a lot less than Amazon or iTunes, but you have to sift through a lot of other stuff.

Oops! My bad! :stuck_out_tongue:

bdb and I took the same math. At 20% acceptable tunes this is $0.20/song and if SlotRadio sells music at that price they don’t have to take cynical comments from anyone. Facts are, this is a fair product at an extremely good price. Is there any other legal way to get selected high quality music in your portable device at a dime or nickel apiece? If so, is it packaged as well as this plug and play card?

Since the 20-40% was my “worst case” estimate, let me clarify and update that. I am saying expect that, so you are not disappointed. I’m probably only skipping 20% of the songs, and most of those are on one playlist. There are another 40% which are OK (just like the radio, not everything is awesome). I can let a couple of the playlists run quite a long time before skipping a tune. This is wonderful for music while outside or at the office in the cubicle. It is, after all, hits radio.

90’s rock, Modern rock: I can’t believe I am listening to some of this stuff and liking it. This is working for me: new music to me, old music to you. The Cranberries, Franz Ferdinand, Alter Bridge… bands I never heard of and like.

I’m not selling this to anyone, but I was motivated to post because it seemed there was some inaccurate thinking about the product. Then when I bought it, I saw the opportunity to plug gaps in knowledge for anyone else considering buying SlotRadio.

@Tapeworm: Office Depot #137245 is a black Fuze. Maybe you’re right, extinction approaches, they used to have red too. :slight_smile: OD just recently had a great sale on Clip (maybe new inventory is coming soon for back-to-school?).

Message Edited by shelded on 06-12-2009 06:16 PM

This is actually a really good idea since it facilitates exactly what I want out of my MP3 player: I turn it on, music starts playing! I would like to have a small library of genre based SD cards to keep in my car much like I used to do with mix CDs. SlotRadio would make this kind of collection easy to start.

That said, I would only buy one of these myself if they were >8GB cards and costed only a few $ more than a non-preloaded SD card. Sorry. It would make an awesome gift though, although I’m the oddball in my family/friends in that I don’t use an iPoop, so SlotRadio is effectively useless to them.

It really is a good idea overall, good luck!

Also, any word about the quality of the music?

I can’t tell what the data capacity of the card is, but I’m guessing it’s at least a 4GB card, maybe 8GB. The card is partitioned with the majority of the card in a proprietary format. I have not gotten out the Linux tools but Windows can’t see the hidden partition.

The quality of the music seems great, the data format is unknown.

Someday when I’m tired of the music I may reformat it and maybe I’ll find it was a 32GB :smileyvery-happy:

It’s probably a Hidden FAT32 partition. You can use linux’s fdisk to change the partition type without wiping the data, but nevertheless I’d do a full backup of the card using dd and work on the image file instead. Maybe there is DRM? I distinctly remember being told that there wouldn’t be DRM and it would be totally open so you could simply copy the music over to your collection if you wanted to.

Openness sells. Closed off stuff makes me regret buying it, and usually involves a trip back to return the item…

@mngrif wrote:

. . . Maybe there is DRM? I distinctly remember being told that there wouldn’t be DRM and it would be totally open so you could simply copy the music over to your collection if you wanted to.

I believe this is the case with SlotMusic cards, but the SlotRadio cards are a different ball 'o wax. I don’t think you can copy these, or for that matter, manipulate them in any way. That’s why you can’t change the play order of the songs or anything.

@tapeworm wrote:

@mngrif wrote:

. . . Maybe there is DRM? I distinctly remember being told that there wouldn’t be DRM and it would be totally open so you could simply copy the music over to your collection if you wanted to.

I believe this is the case with SlotMusic cards, but the SlotRadio cards are a different ball 'o wax. I don’t think you can copy these, or for that matter, manipulate them in any way. That’s why you can’t change the play order of the songs or anything.

That seems to be what I recall as well…not that I’m buying either of them.:stuck_out_tongue:

Here are three very different angles on slotradio -

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/review-sandisk-slotradio-player-bundle-20090513/

http://www.ploomy.com/2009/05/06/sansa-slotradio-review/

http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2009/06/the-gear-junkie-scoop-sandisk-sansa-slotradio-player.html

Message Edited by Sansational on 06-20-2009 10:36 AM

I just bought a SlotRadio at Radio Shack & I love it!  If I want to hear Classical music I can even listen to Public Radio via the FM setting … However, I would rather be listening to a Classical Billboard chip!  It would also be nice to find blank chips I could load with my own MP3s via my Mac.  Advice? Info?

Terri H. 

I agree on the subject of “Spam.”  A brief clip is a nice indication that the recording has gone 'round once and is repeating – so you don’t think you’ve been rooked into 1000 recordings of less than 1000 songs.

Hey, Tapeworm, for those of us who haven’t bought music in decades, we never would have bought the songs we loved because we didn’t know aritists’ and titles’ names!  This is  GREAT deal!

@terrih wrote:

I just bought a SlotRadio at Radio Shack & I love it!  If I want to hear Classical music I can even listen to Public Radio via the FM setting … However, I would rather be listening to a Classical Billboard chip!   It would also be nice to find blank chips I could load with my own MP3s via my Mac.  Advice? Info?

Terri H. 

All you need is a microSD card, available almost anyplace that sells MP3 players or digital cameras, and a way to put music on it. Many modern PCs have memory card readers/writers built in, though you’ll need an adapter to make the microSD card fit the standard SD slot (microSD cards are often sold packaged with an adapter).

I am under the impression that SlotRadio does nothing but play these prepared cards. The SlotMusic cards may not even play in the SlotRadio.

Heads up Sansa! These products have really bad names and make a difficult concept worse!

How does one refer simply to the SlotRadio (card) distinctly from the SlotRadio (player)? What a mess.

Since I’m here posting again, I thought I would point out that the Fuze is displaying album art but I think the SlotRadio does not have that feature. The SlotRadio is apparently some afterthought while the Fuze is the real thing.

I was thinking a SlotRadio (card) with the classical genre would be nice, but I realize it would be boring. It would contain only the popular movements Pacelbel, of Vivaldi, the “best of Beethoven” and would be probably the performed by those cheap ex-Russia orchestras. I can do without that.  I might rather hear the 'best of radio comedy" or something like that.

Message Edited by shelded on 06-20-2009 03:46 PM

@tapeworm wrote:

Gotcha :slight_smile:

Laaaaaaame :frowning:

@mngrif wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

Gotcha :slight_smile:

Laaaaaaame :frowning:

The restrictions they put on usage are the only way they can sell 1000 songs for $40.

One of the reviews linked above says the person loaded some music into the empty area of the card to play. And elsewhere two of the reviews speak in less detail of loading music to other cards to play. So it may work.

We need a buyer to report in, but those people are not likely to be the experiment-and-report type, which is why they bought the device. Maybe a relative will do it for us.

Just yesterday have seen the ad showing a gal with one of the SlotRadio. All other ads I have seen have no hands to show the scale. I had impression this thing was much larger than it is. It is very cute.

You can load about an album’s worth on the slotradio card’s free space. Works as advertised with MP3 and WMA.

and… it’s Pachelbel BTW…

So when will we get SlotRadio on the Clip?:wink:

Trying to incite responses?:smiley: