sansa freezes when memory card is inserted

I have a 8GB sansa, the other day I bought a 32GB Micro SD card but my fuze freezes when I put the memory card in if it is already on. If it is off I put the card in & turn it on I can’t get past the welcome screen without it freezing. Any suggestions?

Have you tried the card in something else, like a phone or camera?

Have you formatted the card to FAT32, the format the Fuze reads?

Have you made sure it’s not a counterfeit by running h2testw? 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 08-03-2010 08:12 PM

Where did you get the MicroSD card from? If it’s from ebay, are you sure it’s really a 32gb card? How much did you pay for it? If you paid a really cheap, almost-too-good-to-be-true price, then you probably have a fake. A lot of people have been scammed lately because of this.

Too-good-to-be-true is anything less than $80 (like around $40). I paid $40 for my 16gb, so if you find a 32gb for that amount, it’s definitely a rip-off.

Message Edited by isamuelson on 08-05-2010 01:42 PM

$80? The cheapest I have seen 32 GB micro SDHC cards is $129. Which legitimate dealer sells them for much less than $129?

I hope you aren’t inserting or removing a card while the player is on.

Message Edited by JK98 on 08-05-2010 05:16 PM

I think I have my answer. It’s a fake Got it from Ebay Seller:grandtechdigatal. I really had no idea that there were any fake SD cards. Oh well thanks for the help.

Report it to eBay and PayPal. You might get your $$ back, and they will prevent the seller from scamming other people.

I have the same problem.

I have a SanDisk Mobile Ultra 8GB micro SDHC card (so it shouldn’t be a compatibility problem).

I formated it as FAT32.

I checked it with this h2testw-program and it was okay.

I had it in my cellphone and there it worked/works without any problems.

As soon, as I insert it into my player, it freezes. If it’s inserted while the player is off and I turn it on, the player freezes at the Sansa-Logo (the red/green/yellow/blue one).

:frowning:

Edit 1: Okay, I really don’t get it. I now formated my SDHC-card with NTFS and also with exFAT, copied one album on it and put it inot the Sansa Fuze. With BOTH the Sansa Fuze updated it’s database and kept working. Of course the album doesn’t appear anywhere because of the wrong format.

Then I formated the card with FAT32 (as you should do), copied one album on it and bam: freeze. Why does it freeze with the only format it’s SUPPOSED to work??

Im having this problem too… bought a 32GB on ebay for 15$ from HongKong…

Format: FAT32 (True)

Capacity: 32GB (True)

Card: MicroSDHC (True)

Well i found one way to get it to work… when u connected ur Fuze, put the MicroSD inside the plug and take off the usb connector… it will refresh the files… and it works [no bug/freeze and stuff] but when u restart ur Fuze, it freeze at the logo… =_=

so any help?

This is the box that i received…

http://cgi.ebay.ca/32GB-32-GB-Kingston-Micro-SD-SDHC-Memory-Card-Adapter-/320593478846?pt=AU_Electronics_Memory_Cards&hash=item4aa4dc44be

This is the seller:

http://myworld.ebay.ca/winneris?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:CA:1181

First, I just clicked on your eBay link and the user has been removed from eBay. This often happens to fraudulent sellers. Maybe your card is good, but that sounds like a too-good-to-be-true price.

However, if the card is good, I can’t offer a reason why it should help, but…

1. Take the microSD out.

2. Make sure you have copies of all the music that’s in the Fuze internal memory. Or just copy the whole Fuze memory into a folder on a hard drive so you can send it back over later.

3. Go to the Settings/System Settings  menu and Format the Fuze.

This fixed a microSD problem for me.

It might be a 32 Gigabit card(Gb) more commonly known as a 4 GB card.

@omgitzol wrote:

Im having this problem too… bought a 32GB on ebay for 15$ from HongKong…

Are you kidding me? Not trying to insult you here, but with the going price of a genuine 32GB card hovering just above $100 at the moment, didn’t you think it rather strange that someone could be selling one for only $15? Ever hear the adage, “If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.”? That ad on eBay just screams COUNTERFEIT!!!

I rest my case . . .

Sorry, seems you bought a whole lotta nuthin’ with that 15 bucks.

Doesnt work…

I have bought one of these, tried to use it with the Fuze and after some correspondence and try&error we figured out that - even the SanDisk - class 6 micro SDHC cards keep my Sansa Fuze freezing everytime I insert them into the player.

Afterwards I bought another 8GB microSDHC, but class 2. It’s working now without problems. Anyways it would be nice to have known that BEFORE I bought a class 6 card, even better this would get fixed with a firmware-update.

(No, the class 6 card isn’t defect, it’s working without any problems in my cellphone and I also checked it with several programs)

@cheesey wrote:

I have bought one of these, tried to use it with the Fuze and after some correspondence and try&error we figured out that - even the SanDisk - class 6 micro SDHC cards keep my Sansa Fuze freezing everytime I insert them into the player.

(No, the class 6 card isn’t defect, it’s working without any problems in my cellphone and I also checked it with several programs)

I believe SanDisk never made a class 6 microSDHC card. They have a Class 4 but it is called Ultra Micro SDHC. One thing I have notice with SanDisk players, it does’nt really like counterfiet cards.

I have the same freeze problem when power on. However, if I insert the card when the device is on, it reads the card just fine (refreshing media).Reformat the device doesn’t solve the freeze problem.

I’m not sure if this is an issue with the card. The same card worked fine with my previous Fuze. I suspect it’s a quality issue of the Fuze (this is my third Fuze replacement in a few months, btw).

I contacted Sandisk support but they kept talking nonsense, such as how to register my device, how track my replacement history, how to upgrade my firmeware, although I already had several replacements and my device has the latest firmware. I can’t seem to get much help from them. I’m wordering if I should ask for another replacement (it’s still under warranty). However, I like to be sure it’s an issue with the device before doing that.

Are there files on the card? A file with a bad tag could also cause a freeze. Search the forums for mp3tag and ISO-8859-1 for instructions on how to fix bad tags.

But first, I would suggest formatting the card with FAT32–you’ll lose all the files on it, so make sure they are backed up–and seeing if a completely empty card causes the same problem.