"the device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected", the hell?

As far as i see this happened after the firmware update. at firstthough slow, files copied into the sansa fuze.

now on xp and a black 8gb fuze i cant copy my files - what happens is it starts up, SLOWLY.it jumps about 30% (ive bene trying to copy the same **bleep** file  for the last hour) and then hangs. sometimes it gives me the  message in the Subject title, sometimes it just hangs and doesn’t care.

occasionally the sansa gets ‘reconnected’ because i see the normal windows connection window popping up. (would you like to…play the files, open the folder, do nothing, etc)

This is EXTREMELY infuriating. Asking for help, a fix, or goddamn something. This is my first week of use and i got this one through my warrant after the last one (2gb) broke down.

update; i’ve tried copying small files, about 1-4 mb each and they seem to work fine. this one i’m trying to copy is about 30. its like it restricts the filesize. the file is now stuck on 46%. its like with every attempt he adds in another percent or so. (randomly)

still though, i’d rather NOT have to wait half my day for one file to copy. cheers

This is not a typical problem. Usually it works or it doesn’t.

It’s possible that your firmware update changed the USB setting. Go to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and change it to MSC and try the copy…

It’s also posslble you have a bad cord. If there’s only an intermittent connection in the cord, you could get disconnects.

Finally, it’s possible you are reaching some limit on memory use in your computer for the large file. Windows may be trying to put it in some temporary cache before sending it over, and that cache doesn’t get full with a small file but does with a larger one. 

Just for an experiment, disconnect from the internet and then turn off your antivirus program, which can hog a lot of memory, and try the copy. Obviously you need antivirus, so that’s not a permanent solution.

But if it helps, it means you have too many things running in the background. You can look at all of them by pushing CTRL-ALT-DELETE once to bring up Task Manager. Look at Applications and look at Processes, which shows you everything running. Look under  Memory Usage to see if there’s anything that’s gobbling up memory.

Did you set the usb mode on the player to MSC? Did you try connecting it to a different pc?

@mikky wrote:

As far as i see this happened after the firmware update. at firstthough slow, files copied into the sansa fuze.

now on xp and a black 8gb fuze i cant copy my files - what happens is it starts up, SLOWLY.it jumps about 30% (ive bene trying to copy the same **bleep** file  for the last hour) and then hangs. sometimes it gives me the  message in the Subject title, sometimes it just hangs and doesn’t care.

occasionally the sansa gets ‘reconnected’ because i see the normal windows connection window popping up. (would you like to…play the files, open the folder, do nothing, etc)

This is EXTREMELY infuriating. Asking for help, a fix, or goddamn something. This is my first week of use and i got this one through my warrant after the last one (2gb) broke down.

update; i’ve tried copying small files, about 1-4 mb each and they seem to work fine. this one i’m trying to copy is about 30. its like it restricts the filesize. the file is now stuck on 46%. its like with every attempt he adds in another percent or so. (randomly)

still though, i’d rather NOT have to wait half my day for one file to copy. cheers

While I do understand your frustration please keep in mind our forum rules and guidelines. Profanity will not be tolerated. Please keep your posts clean. 

Forum Admin 

slotmonsta

Black-Rectangle

I tried both MSC and the other (MTC was it?) options. Apart from a different setup of how folders were shown, I saw no change/fix.

The cord COULD be a problem. On holiday and not on my own pc, I connect the usb to an USB ‘extended’ cord which doesnt look too…new. It’s a bit bent at some points.

Memory usage COULD be an issue. This PC (Again, not mine) has triggered a lot of rages due to it having some sort of memory error. Problem is, even turning off firefox, skype, etc (the biggest memory hoggers that aren’t system-related/neccesary) There seems to be little to no change.

Turned off the anti as well as all background processes, doesn’t seem to work but I’ll try again…

2nd poster

As said above, I’ve tried both settings, and will try this again on my PC at home which hopefully won’t have the error

Admin-

My apologies. I was a bit desperate when my new Fuze (After having enough trouble with the old) already had issues on its 2nd or 3rd day.

UPDATE/FIX

Turns out it was the old dirty cable. Sorry again for storming out on the sanza for an error it didn’t make.

Thanks a lot

You have to be careful of usb extendors/multi-port things, because if not made correctly, nothing will connect to the computer.

I bought this extremely cheap usb adapter, and nothing would connect because, if I’m correct, there’s too much power lost between one of the 4 ports on the adapter, in the light that has the purpose of blinding you and telling you it’s connected, and the port just not having enough power to support all that.  My phone and my Fuze both thought they were plugged into a wall charger.

“The cord COULD be a problem. On holiday and not on my own pc, I connect the usb to an USB ‘extended’ cord which doesnt look too.”

USB has limits for cable length when there is no power source inbetween, like a powered hub. It also could be that the cable was damaged.