how to manage songs and folders

I cant fugure out how to move songs into genre folders on my fuze internal memory or the 16 gb disc. Also how do you edit names and such?

The Genre “folder” you see is actually a list made from what the Fuze reads from the ID3 tag in the file, part of the mp3 file. So are Album, Artist, Song, etc. The only actual folders are the ones you can read if you scroll all the way down Music to Folders. 

You can insert your own Genre tags. If you’re on Windows, get the free program mp3tag. Apple has its own tag editors, but you’ll have to track one of those down on your own. 

Install mp3tag.  When you install, let it add itself to context menus (an option while installing).

Open mp3tag and in Tools/Options/Tags/Mpeg make the Write option ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1. Those are the Fuze’s favorite tags.

Now right-click on an album folder, highlight the list of songs and you can label them whatever Genre you want in one of the boxes on the left, and then Save Tag.  You can use genres from the list or invent your own. If you want to label all your death metal tracks Pretty Rainbows or  Happy Smiling Flowers, no one will  know. 

Another thing you should do, while you have the tags listed in playing order top to bottom, is click Tools/Auto-Numbering Wizard and the Leading Zeroes option. That will number the tracks, 01,02, etc. If the Tracks are numbered, 1, 2, 3…11, 12 then the Fuze will play 1, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4…it needs that zero.

You should do the Track thing with every album anyway before sending it over, because when you save the tags for numbering it will also make them ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1.

The Fuze has trouble with some other tag versions, and there is no universal tagging standard. 

2 Likes

wow thanx! Ill give it a shot

Matt, you might want to take a quick look at the KB site below. It should answer your questions. 

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2276/~/sansa-fuze-folder-navigation

I mist be stupid or something. I thought itunes was a pain but this is worse. I cant seem to get the mp3tag to work. When I go to change directory or add directory and go to my external card with my fuze hooked up, it says the folder is not valid.

As far as kb, how do I access my fuze in folder mode? 

@panteramatt78 wrote:

I mist be stupid or something. I thought itunes was a pain but this is worse. I cant seem to get the mp3tag to work. When I go to change directory or add directory and go to my external card with my fuze hooked up, it says the folder is not valid.

Is your player set to MSC mode or your computer’s file system can recognize it?

panteramatt78 wrote:

As far as kb, how do I access my fuze in folder mode? 

What in the Knowledgbase article do you not understand? It’s pretty straight forward.

The earliest Fuze firmware didn’t include Folders. Go to the firmware thread, download the latest (using the Manual method, not the Updater method) and install it.  Folders should appear if you keep clicking down to the second page of Music. 

FYI, for those not using Windows, KID3 can do the same thing. It’s free/open source software available for Windows, Macintosh, and GNU/Linux. IDK about any other versions, but the Ubuntu GNU/Linux version uses ISO 8859-1 by default (although the users are free to use UTF8/16, if they wish). Instructions on how to use this program can be found HERE. Also, MP3Tag has been known to work quite well under WINE. I’ve been able to use it on everything except those pesky *.wma files.

hi there… i know this is an old topic, hoping someone can help me out!

my problem is not actually with my Fuze – it reads things fine. if i change the tags with mp3tag (which has always been my go to program for tagging things) they come up just fine on the fuze – even my japanese and korean music.

my issue is acutally with WMP. it screws up my freshly tagged files… decides to give them new album art, splits up albums into mutiple smaller albums, lists things as “unknown artist” regardless of my tagging it manually, and most frustratingly, doubles tracks, but when i erase them suddenly half an album (audiobook) is gone. I HAVE HAD IT WITH MEDIA PLAYER.

so my question is: does fuze work with WinAmp? i’ve been looking around online for a bit but haven’t been able to find the answer to this question. i have no issue with drag and drop, but i need to be able to make playlists!

Thanks.

@jonesaholic wrote:

I HAVE HAD IT WITH MEDIA PLAYER.

so my question is: does fuze work with WinAmp? i’ve been looking around online for a bit but haven’t been able to find the answer to this question. i have no issue with drag and drop, but i need to be able to make playlists!

I feel your pain and frustration with WMP. Yes, you can use Winamp with your Fuze, but unless you already have an older version on your computer, or can find one to download on an archival site somewhere, it is currently unavailable.

I am having success creating m3u playlists on my Clip Sport with music files arranged in multiple subfolders using VLC Media Player.         http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.1/win32/vlc-2.2.1-win32.exe

First, I create subfolders on my Clip Sport (internal memory or external card) under Music. Then I use Win File Explorer to copy my selected mp3 files from my HD into the various Music subfolders on my Clip Sport

Then I use VLC Media Player to load the mp3 files on my player into the VLC playlist window.

Then I use "Media -> Save Playlist to file -.> Save as “abc123.m3u” and save the new playlist in any one of the Music subfolders on my player.   Then I can use Music mode or Card mode on my Clip Sport to select the playlist and listen to music files across all the subfolders.

See this link for some helpful screen captures

http://stufinnis.co.uk/vlcplaylist.html

I am having success creating m3u playlists on my Clip Sport with music files arranged in multiple subfolders using VLC Media Player.         http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.1/win32/vlc-2.2.1-win32.exe

First, I use Win File Explorer to create subfolders on my Clip Sport (internal memory or external card) under Music.

Then I copy my selected mp3 files from my HD into the various Music subfolders on my Clip Sport

Then I use VLC Media Player to load the mp3 files on my player into the VLC playlist window.

Then I use "Media -> Save Playlist to file -.> Save as “abc123.m3u” and save the new playlist in any one of the Music subfolders on my player.   Then I can use Music mode or Card mode on my Clip Sport to select the playlist and listen to music files across all the subfolders.

See this link for some helpful screen captures

http://stufinnis.co.uk/vlcplaylist.html

I know Winamp will work with the Fuze in MSC mode (Settings/System Settings/USB Mode). 

Here’s a prime Winamp. 

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/winamp-2-95

You can also find the 5.x versions at Oldversion but I always thought they were overdone. 

If you were using WMP you were probably using MTP mode. Your PC can only see one mode at a time, so when you switch to MSC to use Winamp, your PC won’t see all the music you transferred with Windows Media Player.

Assuming you want to use Winamp all the time, you need to get the MTP music onto the Fuze in MSC mode. 

If there are copies on your computer you can just go to the Fuze’s Settings/System Settings/Format and format it, clearing off all the music you added. Then switch to MSC mode (settings/system settings/MSC) and send new copies over from your computer.  

Or if you need to retrieve the music first,  leave the Fuze in MTP mode (or if you had it in Auto, it went to MTP mode because it detected WMP) and copy back all your music off the player to someplace on your computer (desktop maybe). Then switch to MSC mode and send stuff back over with Winamp–or, if you prefer, just drag and drop them over, since MSC mode sees the Fuze as two basic USB drives, internal memory (FUZE) and Removable Drive for the card.  

1 Like

TunesGo is a nice music management software for media devices.