folder shuffle

I’m probably the last person to figure this out, but I just had a   moment. I reorganized my Fuze the other night, all the newest stuff on the internal memory, and the rest of my heavy rotation on the external card. It just occurred to me to try something…and sure enough, I find that you can shuffle all on either the internal memory, or the external memory, from the folder nav menu…as opposed to shuffling the entire Fuze. Not an earth-shattering discovery, but kinda cool, so I thought I would share. :smiley:

Yup. Using folder shuffle I’ve managed to exclude my classical files from shuffle play by putting them in a separate root folder from the rest of my larger contemporary collection. This would be impossible using the tag-based menu options. I thought I’d never care about folder navigation…

@robisan wrote:
Yup. Using folder shuffle I’ve managed to exclude my classical files from shuffle play by putting them in a separate root folder from the rest of my larger contemporary collection. This would be impossible using the tag-based menu options. I thought I’d never care about folder navigation…

I hadn’t ever thought about folder shuffle, , because usually I listen album by album,or shuffle by artist…only shuffle all when I can’t make up my mind.  Once in a while I make a GoList, but not that often. I know what you mean with the classical too…I’ve generally left what little I have on the computer, and just listened to it with MediaMonkey. Now I’m seeing that my Fuze still has some new tricks to teach me.

Late to the party. Anybody know how you shuffle with folder?

I see: album, artist, genre…but no folder.

Thanks!

Never mind…I saw it already. :smiley:

Thanks for these ideas and tips. I didn’t know this. I usually shuffle all if I want to shuffle (because I can’t decide what to listen to like Marvin_Martian.

@dalaug234 wrote:
Thanks for these ideas and tips. I didn’t know this. I usually shuffle all if I want to shuffle (because I can’t decide what to listen to like Marvin_Martian.

Lately I shuffle all a lot…it keeps my more of my collection fresh in my memory. A track will come up and I’ll be like, “wow, I haven’t heard this in a while!” :smiley: 

@marvin_martian wrote:

@dalaug234 wrote:

Lately I shuffle all a lot…it keeps my more of my collection fresh in my memory. A track will come up and I’ll be like, “wow, I haven’t heard this in a while!” :smiley: 

This is why I keep agitating for larger capacity players. Your reaction is the same one I get when I shuffle while playing my entire computer-based collection and things that aren’t on my Sansa come up.

@robisan wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@dalaug234 wrote:

This is why I keep agitating for larger capacity players. Your reaction is the same one I get when I shuffle while playing my entire computer-based collection and things that aren’t on my Sansa come up.

What do you get, about 21, 22 usable GB out of your theoretical 24? And how many tracks does that work out to?

@marvin_martian wrote:

What do you get, about 21, 22 usable GB out of your theoretical 24? And how many tracks does that work out to?

I think it’s about 21gb. Right now I have about 4,900 with about 300mb of free space. I’d guess that half of them are 128k and the rest are newer, high bitrate files (192-320).

My computer library is almost 9,000 and 48gb. I’d say a good 7,500 (~40gb) of those are files I’d like to have all the time on a portable (ideally I’d like to have all of them in a usable folder enviroment). Of course, any new files I add are high bitrate or flac, so the space usage is growing more quickly than before…

I really don’t want or need a hard drive based portable and IMO it shouldn’t be unreasonable or ridiculously expensive to have SD slot flash players that can handle 48gb. Unless my Fuze dies I’m holding out until I can get a player with at least 32gb onboard, hopefully with a microsd slot for my existing card. 

@robisan wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

I think it’s about 21gb. Right now I have about 4,900 with about 300mb of free space. I’d guess that half of them are 128k and the rest are newer, high bitrate files (192-320).

My computer library is almost 9,000 and 48gb. I’d say a good 7,500 (~40gb) of those are files I’d like to have all the time on a portable (ideally I’d like to have all of them in a usable folder enviroment). Of course, any new files I add are high bitrate or flac, so the space usage is growing more quickly than before…

I really don’t want or need a hard drive based portable and IMO it shouldn’t be unreasonable or ridiculously expensive to have SD slot flash players that can handle 48gb. Unless my Fuze dies I’m holding out until I can get a player with at least 32gb onboard, hopefully with a microsd slot for my existing card. 

I’m around 5,700, around 41GB, on the computer, and in a couple months when I get my next computer, I’m going to finish re-doing all my shoddy early rips, so the GB total will go up somewhat. I have about 6GB of the less frequently listened to stuff ( the jazz and classical ) on my 8GB player, which also holds my podcasts . My heavy rotation stuff pretty much will all fit on my 16GB player, at least for now…basically about 22GB of my 41GB I like to have on a portable for easy access.The rest can stay on the computer.

I agree, a 32GB player with a card slot would be very desirable. There is one 16GB player with a full-size slot that can take a 32GB card, the D2/D2+, but that’s been a little over my budget so far. The player is one thing, but add the card, and you’re talking real money. :dizzy_face:

More than half my library is ‘legacy’ 128 bitrate files from when storage was more expensive and hard drives were much smaller. Ideally I should re-rip them to flac for archiving, but I hate having to convert back to mp3 for portables. And of course the idea of re-ripping to high bitrate mp3 doesn’t appeal when I can get ample, cheap storage for flac files.

The D2 or even the iTouch are more player than I need – in fact, I don’t want a touch screen which will need protection against breaking. I just want a good quality music player, ideally small and sturdy, without having to pay for a bunch of features and functionality I don’t need.

I know I’m a broken record about this, but 32gb flash memory retails for under $50. You have to figure the wholesale/production cost is at least half that amount. There’s really no reason why a good quality 32gb player couldn’t be offered at a reasonable retail price.  But as long as people are thrilled by the release of new 8gb players…