SanDisk Guru

Re: Where to buy music at .99 cents per song???

I love Rhapsody.

Just spent 15 seconds looking, as a non-subscriber via Rhapsody.com, since I am curious.

Here's Rhiannon, have a listen!  How cool is that!  Love the Mac.  In 256 kb/s MP3.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

SanDisk User

neutron_bob wrote:

I love Rhapsody.

Just spent 15 seconds looking, as a non-subscriber via Rhapsody.com, since I am curious.

Here's Rhiannon, have a listen!  How cool is that!  Love the Mac.  In 256 kb/s MP3.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Very cool. 

Mac on !!!

SanDisk Guru

iTunes is now selling plain old mp3s rather than its old horrible m4a or m4p files. Amazon and (holding nose) Wal-Mart also sell a lot of mp3s now.

Emusic is hobbled by the fact that the major labels won't let it sell their music. However, it has a whole lot of cool stuff if you click around. 

I suggest not going on any download site beginning mp3xxx, especially if they are promising that you only pay a penny per song or something like that. You have no idea what's going to happen to your credit card information with those people. 

The main legitimate sites are iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody,  Emusic, Calabash Music (for world music) and (ewww) Wal-Mart. Before you set up an account anywhere else, do a serious Google search.  There are bad people on the internet, and they often use music as bait. 

Can't Connect? Other Problems? Answers
SanDisk Guru

Fireball for your song did you check Fleetwood Macs website? I dont know about that one exactly but many artists sites will let you download songs or albums from their site, and you are paying the label and the band not some third party. Also if you like the artists you find there Check out Roadrunnerrecords.com, they have artists like the misfits, and Hagar, and offer free stuff as well as digi downloads of hard to find backlogs as well as the mainstream stuff.

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

SanDisk User

bdb wrote:

There are three major sites that sell legal MP3s - Amazon, mp3.rhapsody.com, and napster.com. They all offer the same bitrate (256kbps), which isn't too bad. Amazon usually has better prices. You'll definitely find your Fleetwood Mac at one of those.

Thanks,

I just checked out all 3 sites - and they look like they should cover my needs between the 3 of em. 

SanDisk User

Conversionbox wrote:
Fireball for your song did you check Fleetwood Macs website? I dont know about that one exactly but many artists sites will let you download songs or albums from their site, and you are paying the label and the band not some third party. Also if you like the artists you find there Check out Roadrunnerrecords.com, they have artists like the misfits, and Hagar, and offer free stuff as well as digi downloads of hard to find backlogs as well as the mainstream stuff.

One song I had a heckuva time finding was an original version of Tracy Chapman - fast car.  Great tune from an obscure singer ( at least IMHO ).  I downloaded it for free from Amazon a few years ago as a promotional thing - but It dissappeared with my old computer now I have to buy it afterall.

D'OH!!!

SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

fireball wrote:

Conversionbox wrote:

One song I had a heckuva time finding was an original version of Tracy Chapman - fast car.  Great tune from an obscure singer ( at least IMHO ).  I downloaded it for free from Amazon a few years ago as a promotional thing - but It dissappeared with my old computer now I have to buy it afterall.

D'OH!!!

LOVE THAT SONG! I had to go to a second hand Record store and buy it on cassette, and then transfer that to my PC. If you can find the whole album check it out, its worth a listen. Here is the wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracy_Chapman_(album)

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 02-01-2009 11:49 PM

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

SanDisk Professor

c1u31355 wrote:

iTunes is now selling plain old mp3s rather than its old horrible m4a or m4p files. Amazon and (holding nose) Wal-Mart also sell a lot of mp3s now.

iTunes isn't selling MP3s; iTunes Plus songs are 256kbps m4a (non-DRM AAC), and by April all of their music is supposed to be m4a. iTunes does have a "convert to MP3" function, but it just makes a copy of the m4a so you end up with two copies.

There's nothing "horrible" about it, other than the fact that the Fuze doesn't support it. Its an ISO standard, its supported by all the major players (except Sansa), and it provides better quality for the size than MP3.

I hadn't realized that Wal-Mart sells MP3s. Does anyone know what bitrate or codec they use?

Try archive.org.  Then search for your song. Just in case, scan everything you download from their. It's unlikely, but some stuff on there has viruses.

Highlighted

It's definitely illegal, but Norton says it's in the US.