What does format mean? why does it say its full?

I have a sansa fuze 4GB, and this morning after putting some music on it, it said that the disk was full, i only have 300 songs on there how can it be full?  but after talking with a few people they said that the files could be too big, well my question is how to make the music files smaller. (i only have music files on it no videos or pictures)

and secondly what exactly is formatting? was i supposed to do it when i first got it? what does it do? does it free up some space? please explain!

any info is greatly appreciated!

@heathersweet666 wrote:

I have a sansa fuze 4GB, and this morning after putting some music on it, it said that the disk was full, i only have 300 songs on there how can it be full?  but after talking with a few people they said that the files could be too big, well my question is how to make the music files smaller. (i only have music files on it no videos or pictures)

and secondly what exactly is formatting? was i supposed to do it when i first got it? what does it do? does it free up some space? please explain!

any info is greatly appreciated!

Chances are your player is not full, but let me ask you this . . . Are you receiving this message on the screen?

“Not enough space for music DB. Please free 6 (or 90) mb.”

If you read this FAQ, you’ll see it’s a common issue, and has nothing to do with the memory capacity (or lack of it).

Formatting the player’s memory sets it back to the way it was when it was new, erasing all user-installed content in the process. It won’t affect your firmware (that runs the machine), so don’t worry about that. It’s in a hidden partition.

Formatting is only necessary when files get corrupted to the point where they’re too far gone (like if running ChkDsk in the linked FAQ doesn’t work), or if you want to clear the entire unit of music and start over. It’s not something you need to do unless it’s necessary. With your error mesage you may, or may not need to format it.

And they come formatted from the factory, so no, you didn’t need to do it when you first got it.

Chances are your player is not full, but let me ask you this . . . Are you receiving this message on the screen?

“Not enough space for music DB. Please free 6 (or 90) mb.”

If you read this FAQ, you’ll see it’s a common issue, and has nothing to do with the memory capacity (or lack of it).

Formatting the player’s memory sets it back to the way it was when it was new, erasing all user-installed content in the process. It won’t affect your firmware (that runs the machine), so don’t worry about that. It’s in a hidden partition.

Formatting is only necessary when files get corrupted to the point where they’re too far gone (like if running ChkDsk in the linked FAQ doesn’t work), or if you want to clear the entire unit of music and start over. It’s not something you need to do unless it’s necessary. With your error mesage you may, or may not need to format it.

And they come formatted from the factory, so no, you didn’t need to do it when you first got it. :smiley:

no, the message doesnt come up on the mp3 player itself but when i was downloading music to it on the computer i typically click the music file and clip copy then paste it to the fuze file on the computer while its connected but now it wont let me, like i go to paste it and it says disk is full, retry or cancel.

thank you

It’s not the number of songs. It’s the size of the files. That depends on the format (file type) and bitrate (quality setting) that was used to convert the song. So if we can figure out what that is, it will be helpful. 

Please connect to your computer, right-click on a typical song, click on Properties. 

Tell us some of the information you find there. 

Under General:

What is the type of file? mp3, .wav, .flac…) 

What is the size of the file? (in MB)

Under Summary, click Advanced near the bottom. (If it says Simple there you are already in Advanced). What is the Duration?

What is the Bit Rate?  

You may have converted to files that are much larger than usual. Or there may be something else going on. But knowing this information will help. 

the bit rate for a 3 min and 45 second song is 320kbps and is an mp3

o sorry wrong program it says 8.45mb

At that bit rate, you could very well be out of space. Go to My Computer, right click on the Fuze, and then click Properties. The pie chart will show you if you have any free space left. To get more songs on the Fuze, you can convert the files from 320k to 128k before transfer using something like Media Monkey.

Message Edited by qualityaudio on 06-22-2009 08:12 AM

@qualityaudio wrote:
At that bit rate, you could very well be out of space. Go to My Computer, right click on the Fuze, and then click Properties. The pie chart will show you if you have any free space left. To get more songs on the Fuze, you can convert the files from 320k to 128k before transfer using something like Media Monkey.
Message Edited by qualityaudio on 06-22-2009 08:12 AM

With a screen name like qualityaudio , you’re recommending lowering the bit-rate from 320 to 128kbps? :dizzy_face:

Isn’t that a bit drastic? I’d rather keep the quality level high (I use 256kbps) and use additional memory cards than try to squeeze every last drop of sound out of a file only to make it fit within a certain space.

Heather, your CDs were obviously ripped by someone who is very careful about sound.

The bitrate, kbps means kilobits per second. So 320 kbps, which seems to be the maximum for mp3, uses twice as much space as 160 kbps, which is pretty much the rock bottom minimum for sound that’s not audibly degraded.

You can set whatever you are using to rip mp3s to use a different bitrate. And if you want, you could test and see what bitrate you think you can live with, using your Fuze and your headphones. 

To experiment, use your ripping program to rip a song that you really know well–preferably one with live instruments rather than electronics or samples, because live instruments make more complex sounds–to various bitrates. Then play them back and see if the difference between a higher and lower bitrate matters to you in the way you use the player. If you’re playing songs back through little earbuds in a noisy place, it’s not going to matter whether they’re 320kbps or not. On the other hand, if you’re playing them back at home through good speakers or high-quality headphones, you will notice the difference. 

Otherwise, it’s just arithmetic. More bits per second means fewer songs fit. I use 256kbps myself. 

Well, no I don’t necessarily recommend the lower bit rate and rip at the highest possible rate for files I intend to keep, however you have to consider the purpose. See my post regarding the Griffin dock. For most people, listening to MP3’s on earbuds, 128k is just fine, and gives you a lot more room for more tunes. Having been an audio consultant for years, I find (sadly) that most people actually care very little about sound quality, hence the lack of high bit rate downloads and audiophile quality soundcards (though this is improving).

Message Edited by qualityaudio on 06-22-2009 04:18 PM

Message Edited by qualityaudio on 06-22-2009 04:22 PM

@qualityaudio wrote:
Well, no I don’t necessarily recommend the lower bit rate and rip at the highest possible rate for files I intend to keep, however you have to consider the purpose.

Ok . . . my faith & respect for you is restored. :smileyvery-happy:

@qualityaudio wrote:
Having been an audio consultant for years, I find (sadly) that most people actually care very little about sound quality, hence the lack of high bit rate downloads and audiophile quality soundcards (though this is improving).

Sad, but true. :cry:

@qualityaudio wrote:
Well, no I don’t necessarily recommend the lower bit rate and rip at the highest possible rate for files I intend to keep, however you have to consider the purpose.

Ok . . . my faith & respect for you has been restored. :smileyvery-happy:

@qualityaudio wrote:
Having been an audio consultant for years, I find (sadly) that most people actually care very little about sound quality, hence the lack of high bit rate downloads and audiophile quality soundcards (though this is improving).

@qualityaudio wrote:

OK . . . my faith & respect for you have been restored. :smileyvery-happy:

@qualityaudio wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@qualityaudio wrote:

Actually, I think the even sadder truth is that many people don’t even realize they’re listening to low-quality audio, either because they’re used to the stock phones and don’t know they can do better or because they just aren’t informed about bitrates and such.

Message Edited by gwk1967 on 06-22-2009 08:42 PM