What are the requirements for video conversion?

Sanza is utterly dishonest in advertising that Fuze supports the following file formats: "ASF, AVI, DAT, DivX(ver 6.0), DVR-MS, MOV, MP4, MPEG 1, QT, WMV, and 3gp/3gpp2.: It does not!

I loaded a large number of video clips in a variety of file formats, encoded with XviD, DivX, H.264 and many others. None are supported by Sansa Fuze.

I have over a dozen excellent video converters, like XMediaRecode that genuinely supports AVI, MP4, etc. My guess is that Sansa Fuze is a proprietary-based device requiring its own app and codec for converting media files. A more honest ad by SanDisk would be that owners of Sansa Fuze media players must firstly convert AVI files to Sansa AVI files.

After installing Quick Media Converter, a colorful GUI for FFmpeg, I batch converted about six video clips to 3gt format. They all failed to play. I think Fuze requires the ceation of a thumbnail file (*.thm), which is an image taken from the first frame of the video, before the associated video file can be played. Such restricting technology lowers SanDisk to the rank of a company like AOL.

I’ll play with the issue a little more before concluding that I need to be cautious when buying any SanDisk product in the future.