Songs not showing up

So a few days ago I synced a new playlist I had made to my fuze from windows media player like I always do. Now that is the only playlist on my fuze and all of my other music has just dissapeared as well. But when I open it on my computer it still says only 510 mb out of 3.65 g free. But under the music folder there is nothing. I have no idea where to even begin trying to fix this I am not that good with computers. Help would be appriciated. I have had this device for a few years now and never had any problems.

Go to Settings/System Settings/USB Mode and change it from what was probably Auto Detect to MSC, connect, look for your music.  If your computer doesn’t see it, change to MTP and check again. It should be visible under one of those two modes.

Music goes to the Fuze in two ways: via MSC or via MTP. Your computer can only see one at a time. The Fuze should see everything.

Auto Detect goes to MTP if your computer has Windows Media 10 or above, otherwise to MSC. So if you upgraded Windows Media Player recently, or used s different computer,  it may have switched modes.

The best thing to do is to get away from Auto Detect, choose one mode and always use it. MTP is made to work with the newer Windows Media Player versions, MSC with everything else (including Apple computers, etc.) So if you have an older computer, you would probably be best off with MSC.

Find the music you just sent over, take it off the Fuze and send it back to where your other music is visible. My first guess would be that   it is in a Music folder visible under MSC–just Search with your computer for a filename you know.

Thanks for responding so quick! I tried what you said and even in both those modes all of my music is not showing up on the device or my computer, besides that new playlist I just put in even though it says my device is almost full. Do you suggest I format the device and put it in one of those modes and then put all my music back on? It wouldn’t be hard because I have it all saved on my computer. I have not updated windows media player so I don’t know what is causing besides the fact that I have had this device for over 3 years.

If you can format and reload, you might as well.Since you are used to Windows Media Player, leave USB Mode in MTP.

Or if you want to try and solve the mystery…

Sync does weird things. If you have moved songs out of the Windows Media Player library on your computer, WMP may also delete them on the Fuze if you’re not careful.

But all the songs are apparently still taking up space. Under Music, scrolling past Album, Artist, etc., do you see Folders?  That should navigate like Windows does on your computer.

Folders was added in recent Fuze firmware, so if you never updated Folders  won’t be there.

You could go to the Firmware Update thread

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Fuze/bd-p/fuze

and download the latest (and last)  firmware for your Fuze. It’s a good idea anyway, sooner or later.

SanDisk made two different, identical looking Fuzes, v1 and v2, that are actually  different pieces of hardware. The V2 firmware is different from V1, not an upgrade.

You can see whether yours is a 1 or 2 by looking in Settings/System Settings/Info and see whether Version begins with 1 or 2. 

In the firmware thread, ignore the whole Updater business since there won’t be any more updates. Look  for the All Regions link for your version, download the .zip file, unzip it and (in MSC mode) drag the FuzeA.bin  (that’s v1, I think it’s FuzeP.bin for v2) onto the SANSA FUZE driveletter. Disconnect and it will update.  

On the Fuze display, Folders  lists the internal memory and the card slot as two separate folders with folders within them. See if your music can be found that way. 

If so, hook up in MSC mode and find MTABLE.SYS and delete it. (If you don’t see it, you may have to make your computer “Show hidden files and folders”–type that phrase into your Windows help search for directions, it’s different in each version of Windows.)  MTABLE.SYS is the database–like an index–built from the tag information in the mp3s–Artist, Album, Title, etc. When you delete it, the Fuze builds it again after you disconnect. I’m thinking that your last sync somehow damaged MTABLE.SYS, which would prevent the Fuze from finding the music, and if you delete it  the Fuze will build a correct new one.

But you could just format, reload, and carry on happily.

Thanks for the advice. I figured I would ask before doing the format step, which I probably will be doing and then just putting it in that different USB mode. Since you asked my music is not showing up at all under artists, albums, etc on the device. Whatever that sync did was super strange.

That’s why I always have said, “sync stinks”! :laughing:

Sync via MTP puts Windows Media Player between you and Fuze. With MSC, the Fuze simply works like a flash drive.

The other thing WMP does is that if you have unfortunately been stuck with “copy-protected” files–protected from YOU, who bought them!–you need WMP and MTP mode to send over the codes that unlock them on your player.

And if you are not particularly computer savvy, WMP may have tricked you into converting (ripping) your own CDs into copy-protected files, because that is the default setting.  If it did, you are stuck with MTP mode and WMP.

Test and see. Put your Fuze in MSC mode. Send over an album you ripped in WMP. Try to play it on the Fuze. If you get an error message about renewing your subscription service–subscription services also use the lock codes–then you’re going to have to transfer your music via WMP again, or rip it to .mp3 files, which aren’t protected.

You can, and should, change the default setting in Windows Media Player under Tools/Options/Rip Music. Make the format mp3, which will play in anything and is not copy-protected. Use good quality, at least 192 kbps. You deserve it.

If you really love playlists, you are going to be stuck using music library software like Windows Media Player. However, the free Winamp will do playlists in MSC mode. Downside: the free Winamp won’t rip CDs to mp3, so you’ll stil need Windows Media Player to do that.

@black_rectangle wrote:

You can, and should, change the default setting in Windows Media Player under Tools/Options/Rip Music. Make the format mp3, which will play in anything and is not copy-protected. Use good quality, at least 192 kbps. You deserve it.

If you really love playlists, you are going to be stuck using music library software like Windows Media Player. However, the free Winamp will do playlists in MSC mode. Downside: the free Winamp won’t rip CDs to mp3, so you’ll stil need Windows Media Player to do that.

Or better yet 256kbps. I wouldn’t consider 192kbps “good” quality, but mediocre. There’s a lot of musical data lost with 192.

No , the “free” version of Winamp won’t rip to .mp3 format, but it only costs $20 to buy the Gold version that does. Well worth it in my opinion . . . not only is it a fairly easy way to rip CD’s to .mp3 (as opposed to others which may require some rather complicated set-up and learning curve), but you’re supporting the Winamp project which is a good cause and a worthwhile contribution for their continued efforts for improvements and enhancements. Plus I think you still get a perk of 50 free downloads at E-Music.com. :smiley:

I rip CDs to 320 kbps. But other people might not be as finicky as you and me, Tapeworm.

And…AOL owns Winamp. I recognize that AOL is not the thriving corporation it once thought it was, but I don’t think it needs the $20 that badly.

@black_rectangle wrote:

And… AOL owns Winamp. I recognize that AOL is not the thriving corporation it once thought it was, but I don’t think it needs the $20 that badly.

Really. I didn’t know that. I don’t know why, but I guess I was under the impression it was an open-souce (like Rockbox) or smaller, close-knit project.

My respect for the program (and the developers) just dropped about 75%. :cry: