Slot Music card size, Music Bit Rate?

What is the memory size of the Slot Music Memory cards and how much space on the card is free to copy your own music to the card?

Does anyone know the bit rate of the songs that come on the Slotradio cards? My guess would be that it is pretty low in order to fit 1000 songs and have room left over to add your own songs to the card.

I don’t remember exact figures, but I believe there is actually very little space to add your own stuff to the card.

I think it’s 64MB free on the SR cards. Not a lot. As far as the bit-rate of the included songs, the official word is “better than radio-quality”.

You’re probably guessing in the right ‘ball-park’.

My guess is that the Slotradio card is 4GB, since there are Slotradio+ cards available that have 4 GB free space. If the Slotradio card was 8 GB, then the Slotradio+ cards would have 8 GB of free space. A thousand songs in 4 GB would mean a bitrate of 128 kbps, but the Slotmusic Oldies card sounds better than 128 kbps mp3, so some more advanced/better sounding format is probably used.

The Slotmusic cards are 1 GB and the music on them is 320 kbps mp3.

Message Edited by JK98 on 06-21-2010 03:12 PM

JK98 wrote:

My guess is that the Slotradio card is 4GB, since there are Slotradio+ cards available that have 4 GB free space. If the Slotradio card was 8 GB, then the Slotradio+ cards would have 8 GB of free space. A thousand songs in 4 GB would mean a bitrate of 128 kbps, but the Slotmusic Oldies card sounds better than 128 kbps mp3 , so some more advanced/better sounding format is probably used.

The Slotmusic cards are 1 GB and the music on them is 320 kbps mp3.

Some maybe, but I’ve noticed a few that sounds like they’re playing on a circa-1960’s Japanese transistor AM radio played through a couple of tin cans and a taut string.

I was familar with the tunes in question as I already had them on a player ripped directly from CD at 256kbps. The SlotRadio copies seemed to being lacking about half the data. They sounded terrible!

Luckily they aren’t all this way, but I still say they’re not ripped at anything more than 128kbps.

A few of the songs on the oldies card have lower sound quality, but the vast majority sound good.

Well, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. 128K is a good rate for the muzak in the elevator ride.

@tapeworm wrote:

Some maybe, but I’ve noticed a few that sounds like they’re playing on a circa-1960’s Japanese transistor AM radio played through a couple of tin cans and a taut string.

I was familar with the tunes in question as I already had them on a player ripped directly from CD at 256kbps. The SlotRadio copies seemed to being lacking about half the data. They sounded terrible!

Luckily they aren’t all this way, but I still say they’re not ripped at anything more than 128kbps.

@databass wrote:

Well, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. 128K is a good rate for the muzak in the elevator ride.

A bit rate of about 128 kbps might be OK.  http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lame_Compiles#Portable:_background_noise_and_low_bitrate_requirement.2C_small_sizes,

http://listening-tests.hydrogenaudio.org/sebastian/mf-128-1/results.htm,

http://listening-tests.hydrogenaudio.org/sebastian/mp3-128-1/results.htm.

128 kbps average variable bitrate mp3 sounds much better than 128 kbps constant bitrate mp3. It could be some other variable bitrate format at 128 kbps though.